I officially hate Vista =_-

Discussion in 'General Software' started by g0tanks, Nov 7, 2008.

1. g0tanks

g0tanks Newbie

So I decided to do a clean Ubuntu install today, went into the disk manager in Vista to delete my old Ubuntu partition (of course I could have also done that in the Ubuntu installer, but I was already in Windows anyway. Selected the partition then clicked "Delete Partition", BOOM a dozen of error messages, then programs start closing one by one and Windows crashes. So what did just happen? Windows deleted ALL my partitions including itself :rolleyes:

2. Unixlord

Unixlord Newbie

Manipulating windows partitions from Linux distros is fine, I do it all the time and it always works flawlessly.
    Manipulating Linux partitions from windows and not just any windows but Vista?! That is something even I wouldn't do, even if someone told me it works fine.

3. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

I agree. I have tons of reasons to hate Vista, but I would never touch partition settings using Windows other than NTFS or FAT.

4. lee_what2004

lee_what2004 Just Started

using partition program such as acronis, paragon on windows environment, this should be no problem, right?

5. g0tanks

g0tanks Newbie

I was using O&O Partition Manager but it didn't seem to recognize the Linux partition. I thought Windows would be able to handle a simple job like this but I guess not. :roll:

6. lee_what2004

I guess it only on vista ?
    xp not affected, right?

7. g0tanks

g0tanks Newbie

Don't know for sure, but i'm not going to find out :|

I really have a lot of space left now xD
    [​IMG]

8. lee_what2004

cause I used acronis to handle osx and linux partition, fortunately no accident happened :faint:

9. g0tanks

g0tanks Newbie

I think any partition manager that supports ext3 will do the job fine.

10. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

You should be using Linux to manage the partition since it support wider range of file system... :haha:

I have tried deleted a JFS partition, but that HDD was a portable HDD without other partition in it.

11. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

I never know Windows could delete its own partition, maybe I should try before I format my PC :lol:

12. Unixlord

Unixlord Newbie

Maybe it got so pissed from bumping into Linux that it went postal. :D

13. Zenphic

Zenphic Newbie

wow Vista auto-suicided? lol

14. g0tanks

g0tanks Newbie

Sure, make an ext3 partition then try to delete it in Windows :)

15. Unixlord

Unixlord Newbie

I always use "Parted Magic" (a livecd Linux distribution for partition manipulation). Whether resizing, creating or deleting on my PC or others it has never failed me. :thumb:

16. Zenphic

Zenphic Newbie

Never heard of that one before. I did hear about another one called GParted. I'm guessing they are similar :think:

17. Unixlord

Unixlord Newbie

"GParted" is a GUI frontend for the partitioning application, Parted.

18. g0tanks

g0tanks Newbie

GParted looks really nice, i'm going to try that next time I need to do some partitioning.

19. young88

young88 Banned

me too suffereing from so many probs in vista..

20. javajeff

javajeff Newbie

There is a GParted Live CD that you can boot to. I dual boot Ubuntu and Vista 64 with no problems. I do recommend using Acronis True Image for keeping perfect images of your Windows partition. This way if you ever have a problem, you can just restore it.