Maybank to charge RM 2 for OTC cash withdrawals from Sept. 1st onwards!

Discussion in 'Adrian Wong' started by Adrian Wong, Aug 8, 2006.

1. AAY

AAY ARP Reviewer

The problem with Maybank isn't just all these charges popping up...it's one thing if Maybank charges for and provides sterling service, but they don't. Unless your Maybank branch is light years apart from any of the branches I've been to, counter service is nothing short of abysmal. I dread going to Maybank because I can always expect either a long wait and/or blank stares when I deal with them. Why should I pay for crap service?

2. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Hehe.. Somehow I knew you would take this position. :haha: :haha:

Hmm.. I will have to check the next time I make the fourth withdrawal. But AFAIK, I was never informed. In fact, I've been charged for subsequent withdrawals without even realizing it.

Only after asking the counter staff did I get clarification that withdrawals of RM 1,500 are not counted towards the maximum limit of 4 free withdrawals a month.

Err.. To be frank, their making a profit has nothing to do with this issue. It's about paying for services that should be free.

And you would be really naive to think that the staff would be rewarded with more money. :haha: :haha: Are you telling us that Maybank staff are getting pay raises now? :mrgreen:

I understand you like to play the devil's advocate. But I do think it's dumb to just argue without reason. :roll:

3. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

I just use Maybank for its online banking which I think is still better than most like Southern Bank (where I get my salary from), Public Bank (where I pay my car instalment), Bumiputra Commerce (which I don't use anymore). That's why sometimes you will see me take money out of Southern Bank and deposit to Maybank just for its online banking. :faint:

And stupid Southern Bank provides the most basic of the most basic online banking. :wall:

4. angel1011

angel1011 Baby-DeeNoo

I just did my fourth withdrawal last week, I noticed that the statement did print out a line right below as a reminder that the subsequent withdrawal will be charged 50 cents. So always print out the receipt after withdraw. (no need help them save money laa.....:mrgreen: )

5. Adrian Wong

Oh I see... Hmm, but I really don't think they printed it on mine the last time I was "fined". But that was quite a while ago. :think:

Still, I think it would be better for them to display on the screen that we have already used up X number of withdrawals and that the next withdrawal will/will not incur a charge of RM 0.50.

6. decypher

decypher Newbie

I was this close to getting a Maybank account. Wait. For withdrawals under RM4,500? Who in the right mind will withdraw RM4000 from the ATM?

7. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

I withdrew RM5000 fromATM before? :haha: It's virtually impossible to go to bank during operating hours? :faint:

8. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

ah well, most banks will eventually charge for OTC withdrawals to encourage the use of ATMs. HSBC and StanChart do the same anyway. in fact, they won't even entertain OTC withdrawals unless it's like.. in the tens of thousands. then again, won't u write a cheque for that kind of transaction?

9. decypher

decypher Newbie

Isn't it unsafe to withdraw so much from the ATM?

And yeah i hate it when the queues get annoyingly long. Imagine the counter calling for 56 and your number is 252. I'll probably just die at the ticket counter.

10. Adrian Wong

I think quite a few people would. This usually usually when you want to buy something expensive like a notebook or a computer. As you know, practically all shops in Low Yat Plaza charge 2-3% extra for the use of a credit card.

But since you can only withdraw RM 1500 at any one time out of the ATM, it takes quite long to withdraw RM 5000. Especially when the ATM logs you out everytime you withdraw some money. :wall:

So, it might conceivably be a lot faster to withdraw from the counter, especially if there's a long queue at the ATM. You can also ask for bigger notes like RM 100.

11. Adrian Wong

TBH, I would personally prefer to use the ATM. It's easier and faster... generally.

But what happens if there's a long queue at the ATM, while the counters are clear? Then it would be really stupid for a whole bunch of people to queue up at the ATM while the counter crew are sitting down, chit chatting. :)

Also, the ATMs restrict us to RM 1,500 per withdrawal and only RM 50 notes at that. They should really start using RM 100 notes. It's ridiculous to carry so many RM 50 notes. :nuts:

Hmm.. Well, not everyone has a current account. If possible, I think people would prefer to use a savings account. Not only do you not have to pay RM 20 per year for a current account, you also get interest in your savings account.

12. Adrian Wong

Well, sometimes you have no choice. Hehe...

But it would be safer if they would only use larger notes like RM 100. Then the stack of money wouldn't be quite so thick and would be easier to conceal. :D

13. decypher

decypher Newbie

RM1500? Freaking BCB only allows RM1000 at one shot! Argh!

14. Adrian Wong

So, I guess you will need to do it FIVE times at BCB! :mrgreen:

15. decypher

decypher Newbie

BCB limits withdrawal to RM3000 per day. I will need at least two days to get RM5000. If I go OTC I could get the whole amount in a flash.

16. Adrian Wong

Wow.. That's restrictive... :mad:

Maybank used to restrict daily ATM withdrawals to RM 3000. But they relaxed it to RM 5000 per day sometime ago...

17. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

18. decypher

decypher Newbie

Yes, I print money. Don't tell gahmen. :p

19. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Safe? Define safe... :haha:

There's no such thing as safe anymore.

20. mahakanjus

mahakanjus Newbie

yah i agree... too much murder and all that... this world really sucks. luckily we have heroes that make this a safer place.