Tech Myths B.U.S.T.E.D.!

Discussion in 'Reviews & Articles' started by Dashken, Sep 18, 2006.

1. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Join us today as we take a look at the most common and possibly the most stupid tech myths in the world, and BUST them!

[​IMG]

Link : Tech Myths B.U.S.T.E.D.!

2. angel1011

angel1011 Baby-DeeNoo

Good one! :thumb: LOL I used to believe in No. 3 :shifty:

3. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

I don't know how many times I've explained to the users in my office, fully occupied HDD won't slow down the PC. Finally I gave up and just agreed with the users... :haha: because they will start asking even more questions, like what's causing the slow down, when 1/2 of the time, they don't understand what I'm saying...

4. strawroot

strawroot I Lurrrve Panda Biscuit!

hahaah see, one say is useless, but, many says will make a statistic! Still, the majority wins hehehehe

5. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Yea, I usually try to explain people but if they act like a no it all, go fly kites.... :thumb:

6. Papercut

Papercut Newbie

Very well-written. I like the sound of what's coming up. :thumb:
    Now we just need to blow stuff up on a regular basis, then we'd have a hit show on our hands :shifty:

7. fyire

fyire Newbie

well, the one thing that I dont like about a HDD that's too much occupied is that it makes it more difficult to defrag

edit: oh btw. make sure to keep in mind that there can be application dependant issues too. like you do not wanna know what happens when a busy database server runs out of disk space.

8. Chai

That of course.

Servers are handled by me, so I know what to do with it. :mrgreen:

It's the client's PC that I have to explain. But of course, they shouldn't have less than 500MB disk space left too. Pagefile needs some space. :p

9. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

Muahahaha!!! My friends always ask me if formatting can actually damage the hard drive, but everytime I explain to them, they don't seem to believe me. WTF do they ask me I also don't know :wall: better don't ask lah if like this :roll:

10. algis

algis Newbie

Tech Myths

Hello First i want to say on my frist post I <3 ARP.
    Getting into content
    1. Video Cards RAM means how good they are: here on panama all ppl says wow 256 or WOW 512 but nobody looks at the GPU they only say i need a ### card to improve.
    2. The more GigaHertz the better.
    3. Servers are godly machines hundred times better than pcs.
    4. Windows vista ultimate requieres 64 bit versions but other vistas no.
    5. The network administrator knows everything "thanks microsoft" (please contact your network administrator anyone?:dance: ): users think that network admins or computer engineer know every software in the whole universe and a little bit more.

I think i will posting more during the week "i know i have lot more:twisted: "

11. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Thanks, algis! :D

And welcome to Tech ARP! :beer:

12. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

ARP <3 its readers too (hence why we have contests everynow and then.)

13. Chai

LMAO!!!

5. is so funny and so true!!! :haha:

14. fyire

fyire Newbie

well, 3) is true partly true, especially for the higher end ones. But most ppl tend to make the mistake that a server can give them better framerates on their favourite first person shooter game.

15. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

i agree too :shifty:

16. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

The guide has just been updated! :wave:

Join us today as we take a look at the most common and possibly the most stupid tech myths in the world, and BUST them!

Here is the update:-
    [​IMG]

Link : Tech Myths B.U.S.T.E.D. Rev. 1.1!

Last edited: Oct 5, 2006
  17. Olle P

Olle P Newbie

A bit of less than the full truth.

From part 5; Intel Processors Are More Stable Then[Sic!] AMD Processors
    Using several iterations of float number operations will provide slightly different answers, due to various numbers of digits used and variations in how they round fractions of the last digit for each operation.

Slightly off topic: I know this because it resulted in problems during the programming of Combat MissionĀ“s TCP/IP feature. If the two players used different computers to crunch the same input data for a game turn the output data would differ slightly, sometimes resulting in a very different oucome of the actions during that turn. (Like hit/miss, penetration/ricochet.)

Cheers
    Olle

18. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

lolz.. i agree with you olle ..

sometimes different platform tends to give slightly different results .. lolz..

19. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

Long time ago, in the Athlon XP days, these processors are always hot. When they have the 754s and the 939s in the line, the thermal is very good. But before that Pentium 4 (423) are cooler. But the later and newer Prescotts are not always that cool. My Prescott's fan whirring so so loud (when it reached 45 degrees) when playing games. Wow.

But actually, if you have a good motherboard, compatible RAM, good cooling and heatsink and PSU too, any processor will be stable. (or any stuff rated suitable for its specs)

My friends also kept implying that AMD is hotter and unstable than the Intels, and hope they will have these tech myths busted soon. :haha:

20. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

Actually, Athlon XP is almost as hot as Athlon 64, but of course, performance per watt wise Athlon 64 is better.