koolance 5 pumps water cooling

Discussion in 'Overclocking, Cooling & Modding' started by PowerSlide, Sep 20, 2006.

1. PowerSlide

PowerSlide Just Started

2. ChampionLLY

ChampionLLY News Writer

i wonder who needs that..

i wonder rather spend the same amt (or less) on a kicka$$ phase-change..

3. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

I wonder who NEEDS 5 pumps. Redundency? RAID 5? 5 pumps? Pure marketing... :shifty:

3000W? That's like radiator with about 6x120? It's really arguable, any radiator can dissipate that much of heat, even if the temperature goes up by 50C, it's still technically capapble of cooling 3000W. :haha:

4. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

Exactly! :thumb:

5. Echolac

Echolac Newbie

2000USD!!!:shock::shock::faint::faint:

6. PowerSlide

PowerSlide Just Started

for servers? since it comes in rackmount

7. Chai

Something water cooler can't provide now is long term reliability. I think cooling is not an issue for most servers since they have extremely loud fans, 24/7 aircon systems. Noise is not an issue for servers.

I don't think I would want water cooler in any servers even though I'm a big water cooler fan.

8. Olle P

Olle P Newbie

Not for corporate servers installed in specially designed server rooms, that is.

Those that have a server rack at home or in the same small office room as their desk would disagree that noise isn't an issue.
    I don't see water cooling go bust any more than fans do. When the CPU fan stops spinning you'll have to do an emergency shutdown.
    With multiple pumps I see no need to worry about something like that happening. If any one pump or fan quits there's plenty of time to do a "soft" shut-down, unless the supervisor decides to replace the broken equipment on the fly.

Cheers
    Olle

9. Chai

I've seen 7 years old servers still running fine.

Water cooling will not work that long without any maintainence. Water will leak overtime, even thru tubings, and no, I'm not talking about connection leakage.

Seriously, why all the hassle, when aircooling works just fine? Are servers suffering from heat problem?

If the company can't even afford an own room for servers for security, safety, and uptime, I honestly don't think the company needs a rackmount servers in the first place.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2006
  10. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

LOL. Fans are also used in water cooling systems.

LOL. Air cooling only has one moving component, which is the fan. If it is a passive air cooler then there would be no moving parts at all. With water cooling you have two moving parts, the pump and the fans for the radiator and how about leaks? It's a common sense that the water cooler needs more maintainence. :mrgreen:

11. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

hehe about 3 weeks go i forgot to switch on my pump after turning on my PC.

ran it for almost half of the day :mrgreen:

12. Olle P

Olle P Newbie

Exactly! Fans are used, which provide redundancy (apart from the water volume that in itself prevent a fast temperature increase in case of a total fan failure). If one of the radiator fans shuts down it's no big deal.
    With air cooling there is typically only one fan for each CPU, which isn't redundant.
    There aren't many completely passive server cooling solutions nowadays, are there?
    As I wrote above; with a single moving component there's no redundancy, so all failures are critical ones.
    Maintenance is my profession, and there are two types: Preventive and corrective.
    Preventive maintenance is when you do pre-planned system tests and replace used parts before they break down.
    Corrective maintenance is when you repair the system after it's broken down.

With air cooling preventive maintenance means cleaning the heat sinks once a year and replacing all fans before they break down, every three years or so.
    Corrective maintenance means an emergency replacement of a broken fan, possibly together with an overheated CPU.

With water cooling (multiple fans and pumps) you need to check the water level, look for leaks, clean the radiator(s) once a year. Possibly replace the tubing every five years or so.
    Corrective maintenence means replacing a fan or a pump when there's a lull in the server activity, giving the users time to prepare for the shutdown, if necessary.

Cheers
    Olle

13. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

Er.... :haha:

So.... you are saying that water cooling need less maintainence. correct? :mrgreen: :haha:

14. Chai

Hehehe...

I rather have just one possible failure than multiple chances of failure. Air cooling = just 1 fan per CPU.

Water cooling = pump(s), fan(s), tubing, connector leakage, metal corrosion.

Good luck doing your preventive and corrective maintenance. :mrgreen:

15. Olle P

Olle P Newbie

Less emergency corrective maintenance, yes.
    Overall maintenance might be a bit more, but it can be done in a more laid back, pre-planned manner.

/Olle