Athlon 2400+ OC

Discussion in 'Overclocking, Cooling & Modding' started by esso82, Nov 3, 2006.

1. esso82

esso82 Newbie

hi,

i wanna OC my athlon 2400 but i dont know how to change the multiplier.....actually if is it possible
    i tried it in BIOS, but if ill change it from 15.0 to 10.0 .... after POST ill see 15.0 on post screen again....but after entering to BIOS ... there is still set 10.0

my conf:

Epox 8RDA3G, newest BIOS
    Athlon 2400+ xp , Thoroughbred, B0
    Pmi DDRAM 512MB, PC3200 (now on 133 MHz due to FSB freq)
    MSI NX-6800GT 8x AGP, 256 MB @ 425/1170 MHz
    Western-Digital 40 + 80 GB
    SoundBlaster 5.1! Live
    15.0 x 133 MHz

i tried:

15.0 x 148 MHz @ 1.875 V ( oh dear, it was working :shock: ) -> 72 °C
    but i want 10.0 x 200 MHz (and more of course) to sync the memory

2. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

maybe your cpu multipliers are locked ? :think:

3. esso82

esso82 Newbie

thats it :clap: ...but how to unlock them? ....thats the question.......

4. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

It depends. But it is pretty risky. I know some that you can trace the pins at the bottom together tho shorten em. Some needs you to trace some conductive ink on the top side. Some needs you to scrape off some of the coating and then connect it with conductive ink.

It's really not worth it in my opinion. And those are pretty high volts and that temp is too high... :shock:

5. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Don't bother unlocking. Get a better cooler.

6. esso82

esso82 Newbie

if i want to run the FSB and the memory full speed (1:1) .... i havent got other option .....

...and PsYkHoTiK ... i know about that.... i just wanted to know....if there is some option to unlock them by some software

....THX

7. Chai

What do you mean by 1:1? Can't your 200MHz memory run at 148MHz?

8. ChampionLLY

ChampionLLY News Writer

last time i did haf a 2400+ T-bred,
    multi is locked..
    but yes, i can be unlocked...

max i could o/c was 2.35ghz stable

9. esso82

esso82 Newbie

chai...can run on 148 but i want to run it on 200
    faster = better for me ...... or not? :D

10. RrRaistliNnN

RrRaistliNnN Newbie

Esso82, here is a link that refers to the "Pencil trick" to unlock the older generation of the Duron, I presume it is similar for the Athlon

http://www.motherboards.org/articles/guides/41_1.html

Don't forget to make sure that your cooler can keep that chip cold, otherwise you'll burn that chip quicker than you can smell it! :wall:

I did the pencil trick back in the day for my 1.0G duron, and was able to unlock multi and overclock that chip from 1.0G 100fbs to 1.26G 133fbs!:dance: With decent cooling you can archieve pretty nice results! Just religiously double and tripple check your temps! :shock: Don't go crazy over volts either! Rule of thumb = no more than +0.25~0.30 over factory!

*Cheers*

11. Chai

But it's a PITA to unlock the processor.

12. fguerro

fguerro Newbie

I would address the cpu cooling before tying to OC the chip. After that, I would suggest a mobile XP 2500+ or 2600+ which have the multipliers unlocked and typically require less Vcore than the standard desktop cpus. You may find them for sale in the used/buy sections of forums or on Ebay. However, make sure your mobo supports changing the multiplier (most enthusiast boards do but not all).

13. CALLOFDUTY05

CALLOFDUTY05 Newbie

Do u have a Barton or Palomino core ? Barton's r Multiplier locked while Palominos can be unlocked from Bios by changing the Multiplier. If u r using the Barton, then try to push the FSB speed instead of trying the multiplier.But do it in small increments,otherwise ur PC won't boot & u'll have to reset ur CMOS jumper.