can i mod the PCI wireless adaptor?

Discussion in 'Internet & Networking' started by sunsetbay, Nov 7, 2006.

1. sunsetbay

sunsetbay Newbie

can i use a coaxial cable and extend the antenna? the high gain antenna is over priced. :wall:

or should i get a USB version and use a long USB cable instead? :wave: :wave:

[​IMG]

or

[​IMG]

2. empire23

empire23 BRB. Attacking Russia

Doesn't seem like an issue, but remember that the connector isn't the usual BNC ones we see on Coaxial cables, but SNA ones. But provided you can do it, there should be 0 issues or any reason why you can't.

3. sunsetbay

sunsetbay Newbie

any idea how does the connector for the antenna looks like? i couldn't find a close up pic on the web. :wall:

4. AAY

AAY ARP Reviewer

Watch out how long you extend it though...regular TV/satellite antenna cable is extremely lossy compared to LMR (which you're supposed to use but is kinda expensive). The connector you need is probably an RP-SMA one.

5. sunsetbay

sunsetbay Newbie

wow! thanks for the info. i intend to extend 3 to 5m. i went to LMR links, there are many grades, which one is suitable. :silenced: and the RP-SMA on the wifi card, i wonder i can find male connector easily or not. :think:

[​IMG]

6. AAY

AAY ARP Reviewer

You might have some trouble finding LMR in retail. You can always try using high quality coax first... As for the connector - have you tried taking a walk around either of the Sim Lim's?

7. Viper007Bond

Viper007Bond Newbie

I have one of those. Works pretty well. :)