Anyone tried DD-WRT?

Discussion in 'Internet & Networking' started by peaz, Nov 8, 2006.

1. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

Anyone here tried upgrading their WRT54G router to the DD-WRT firmware? Are these firmware stable?

2. peaz

Just done it myself and is using the DD-WRT v23 SP2 firmware. It's super cool, can even overclock my router's Broadcom chip! Awesome!

3. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

overclock ? lolz.. whats do you get from overclocking a router ? :O

4. peaz

linksys's own firmware supposedly did that too in one of the versions to resolve stability issue. from 200MHz to 216MHz. LOLz

5. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

Good for you, its damn bad luck for me.

I just bought, just today, a brand new spanking WRT54G, wanted to get GS or GL but can't find any. Well I thought that might do, brought it home, configured everything, downloaded DDWRT and checked my version number, i'm using version 7 !!!! DDWRT supports WRT54G version 1 - 6 and of all, i'm using version 7 which is not using broadcom chip, definitely a waste of money !!

With DDWRT, many things I could do, boost my WiFi signal, IPv6, and many more which is essential to me !!!

Now, i'll just have to stuck with a normal wifi router which does not differ much with that of a cheap Aztech or Dlink wifi router. :wall:

6. SAMSAMHA

SAMSAMHA Newbie

I got a buffalo router which is based on the same chip. I want to flash it but a bit scared to ruin it. should I do it or not.... decision, decision.

7. peaz

Hmmm, What i did was by a 2nd hand WRT54G router to make sure it was a supported version. But I feel sorry for you man.

If it's compatible... it's worth the switch to DD-WRT. Superb firmware! :thumb:

8. slugbug

slugbug Newbie

I have a new WRT54GL but haven't tried flashing 3rd party firmware yet. I guess I should :roll:

9. hyper_raider

hyper_raider shutdown -h now

10. SAMSAMHA

SAMSAMHA Newbie

i think ddwrt is a bit more up to date than th open wrt. I read some nice thing about the ddwrt but the firmware flashing seems to be a bit buggy and flashing seems a bit difficult with the buffalo route.r