Microsoft Windows Vista Final Review!

Discussion in 'Reviews & Articles' started by Dashken, Dec 11, 2006.

1. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Windows Vista is already in use by businesses all over the world, but it won't be available to the rest of us until January 30th, 2007. That didn't stop us from testing it though.

Today, we will show you what Microsoft has improved since our Vista Beta 2 review. Is it everything that Microsoft promised it would be? We will see...

[​IMG]

Link : Microsoft Windows Vista Final Review!

2. markopoleo

markopoleo Newbie

Some of the stuff in the article is wrong on page 7..

Nero 7 works fine in Vista, i have had it installed for a week and works without a problem. It even says Vista compatible in the release notes.

I have NO problems running movies on Vista, full screen or not with 97.74 drivers for 7600GT card. This driver brings performance close to winxp sp2 performance it is not even noticeable diffrence anymore in games. Lost Coast benchmark i'm within 5fps diffrence now than winxp SP2 score with Aero running. :)

You could also try the 97.75 ones released for laptops but modified for even better performance increase, i could not use them cause messed up bf2 textures, some report fine though..
    http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=12058&pid=44315&st=0&#entry44315
    1. download driver extract to dir
    2. downloaded modded INF file and extract to same directory overwrite the exsisting one.
    3. Install.

The only sure thing wrong with vista currently is lack of good soundcard drivers for Creative cards. :)

3. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Hello markopoleo,

Thanks for your feedback. I will make sure the author check it out. :D

4. solo6

solo6 Newbie

Sounds to me like your video problems lie with the amount of RAM you have to support the video card. I had an FX5200 and ran it with .5G, 1 G then 1.5 G. It wasn't until the 1.5 gig lvl that the card gave peak performance. Ditto with install of a new mobo and processor 9 asRock Dual VSTA and Intel Pentium D 2,8ghz. the mobo wouldn't take more than 1 gig of my existing ram (2*256 and 2*512), The new GT6600 just limped along and wouldnt even load Splinter Cell Chaos Theory. I dumped in 2 Gig of DDR and problem fixed, once and for all. I now have zero video issues.

5. SAMSAMHA

SAMSAMHA Newbie

nice overview on vista. Man, if only vista can be cheaper.

6. ELIK18

ELIK18 Newbie

Windows Xp in fancy dress....

Stay with XP :D

7. markopoleo

markopoleo Newbie

A lot of changes under the hood. I was pretty skeptical when I first installed RC2, but I can't go back to XP Vista just feels and looks so much better. I had so many annoying little things that bugged me with XP, but vista I can't find any for the last couple months.

Of course I love Vista just because I won a free copy, a $300 value from Microsoft :D

8. werty316

werty316 Newbie

True but if you want DX10 in the future you have no choice but to go with Vista.

9. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Long to go, and it would be insane for game developers to jump to DX10-only straight away, killing themselves. How many home users have DX9 cards today? Not many...

10. Adrian Wong

Wow.. That's very lucky! :thumb:

11. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

Makes me wanna go out there and buy vista and install it! darn... it's so espensive!

12. Adrian Wong

Yeah, plus it is just an operating system... Add in the new applications you will need to buy... And they (the software) will cost a LOT more than the PC itself! :wall: :wall:

13. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

yea :roll: softwares are now more expensive that the hardware
    :roll:

i'll be getting the express upgrade to vista business :haha: what business am i doing ?

14. Adrian Wong

LOL! That's just what they call the Vista's version of XP Pro. :mrgreen:

Were I to upgrade to Vista, I would go for that edition.

15. zy

i want ultimate edition :roll: hahahahah .. buts its super expensive.. :roll:

:shifty: OEM edition *hint* *hint* should be half the retail price

16. markopoleo

markopoleo Newbie

But you don't get that fancy box with OEM!!! ;)

17. SAMSAMHA

SAMSAMHA Newbie

is there a problem getting oem vs retail. What's teh diff besides the fancy box?

18. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Cheaper price and you have to buy it with a piece of hardware... :D

19. Olle P

Olle P Newbie

OEM = Original Equipment Manufacturer
    That means you're supposed to be a computer builder that sell it to consumers.
    - You provide the technical support.
    - The license is by clause tied to the (individual) motherboard, so you may not use that license to install the program on another computer nor re-install it if you replace the motherboard.

The retail version come with some sort of support deal, and you can use that license for any one computer at a time. If you get a new rig you can still use your old license provided the OS was removed from the old rig.

/Olle

20. zy

well explained :thumb: