Microsoft Windows Vista Final Review!

Discussion in 'Reviews & Articles' started by Dashken, Dec 11, 2006.

1. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo...
    must get the box..must get the box :p

2. fyire

fyire Newbie

Hmm.. there was this comment from this fellow using the nick, 'Shorty' previously, who had claimed that there's a loophole in allowing OEM licences to be transferred from an old computer to a new. First time I've heard of it actually, does anybody know of it? Or is it just smoke?

3. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

By "selling" the motherboard together with the license? :think:

4. SAMSAMHA

SAMSAMHA Newbie

I thought MS's activation prvent you change hardware. So won't that pretty much is the same idea as OEM.

5. Adrian Wong

Well, you have to call them up after three activations.

If you have a good reason, they will give you an activation code that will work even with subsequent hardware changes.

6. SAMSAMHA

SAMSAMHA Newbie

do you mean that the code will work for 3 times again. For people like me who love to reinstall OS, it's a huge hassle:).

7. Adrian Wong

Nope. If I remember correctly, it will work again, and again, and again... like the Duracell bunny. :haha: :haha:

8. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

shouldnt be a problem activating :think: unless one day you found out you cant activate :haha:

hmmm ... OEM .. linked to the motherboard? if you motherboard screwed up you will have trouble :haha:

9. Adrian Wong

Well, legally, it's linked to the system. But what constitutes a system? :think:

You can buy the OEM version with any piece of hardware. That's why cheap mice are popular. Hehe..

I guess the licence follows whatever hardware you purchased with it? :think:

10. fyire

fyire Newbie

Don't think its to do with that. He was claiming that the existing OEM license with your current computer can be transferred to a new computer.

11. fyire

fyire Newbie

Well, from what I've read, current M$ practice is that a new motherboard constitutes as a new computer, unless its due to motherboard defect.

12. fyire

fyire Newbie

Can u really get the OEM licence with just any piece of hardware? Sounds a bit odd, as M$ themselves had already defined what constitutes as a change to a new system.

13. Adrian Wong

Yup. That's what they are doing right now. Buy a component of the "PC" with the OEM copy.

14. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Yeah, exactly. It doesn't really matter what component you buy, the problem comes when you are trying to upgrade something big on your system, like a motherboard, you will not be able to reactivate.

15. Adrian Wong

Well, have to ask Jason. He did it before.

If you have a good reason, like tell them you are upgrading the motherboard, they will give you a new key which does not need to be reactivated again and again.

16. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Yeah, basically you need to lie to them. But you are not supposed to be allowed to do that.

17. Adrian Wong

Hmm.. I'll have to ask Jason again, but I remember him telling me that according to the guy he spoke to, they don't really mind. The point is at least you have a legit copy.

18. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

yup. just have to tell them there are some changes in your hardware configuration. never asked further than that.

this is probably the stupidest system ever.

19. Adrian Wong

Well, I guess they are just happy it's legit. :D

20. SAMSAMHA

SAMSAMHA Newbie

see that I can understand. As long as it's legit, they should let you install as many time as you want. I think what sucks is that you can't install 32bit and 64bit as you choose. I think MS should let people install either one with the same code (ie insall home 32 or 64 as your choice, but they want you to buy 2 licenses so they can make double of the money:)).

So is it better to buy the OEM version (it's really consider as retail version then). What about the newegg promo on the free upgrade? what do you guys think about that?