Woohoo!! My first post!

Discussion in 'Dashken' started by Dashken, Dec 26, 2006.

1. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Yo guys! :wave:

This is my first post at my section. :dance:

Christmas sucked for me. Nothing much happened. I was at home watching movies, drinking wine, lazying around. I even played my guitar at night on Christmas eve. Talking about no life, I'm ranked way at the top. :mrgreen: :| :(

My modem went kong last week sometime in Thursday or Wednesday. It was a Aztech, the very old one when I got my broadband. Perhaps the first one introduced by my ISP. It has been serving me 24/7 for 3-4 years. :faint:

Goodbye and Merry Christmas my old friend. :beer:

I replaced the old Aztech with a new D-Link DSL-500T which costs me about RM119. Which is so cheap compared to the old Aztech which cost RM350+ 4 years ago. SIao.. :faint:

I was happy with the modem when I drove it home. When I reached my car, I took it out to examine. And it only said 'ADSL Router' on the box. What?!!! No modem? Then I found a splitter included and a phone cable. So, I thought it's good.

I went home, opened the package again and I looked at the modem real quick and I can't find the port to insert the phone cable. Note here, I was scanning it real quick. :shifty:

I quickly called the shop and asked what time they close, and quickly jumped into the car with the modem with me. Curious, I opened up the package again, and I looked at the back of the modem. And found the 2 ports looked different. Ok, I was feeling pretty dumb by then. I scanned through the guide and there it was, talking about phone cable and stuffs. Why didn't I see it just now? :eh:

I insist that I'm not a noob ok? Just blur maybe. :shifty:

So, after dinner, I tried to install the modem. Installing was hard when I found out that how the hell am I going to link the modem router to my existing Linksys router. :faint:

Both DHCP and no DHCP don't work.

After almost 2-3 hours of jamming here and there. I found a guide online of how to set the modem router as a pure router. By setting it to use a 'Bridge option' of sort. Then walla! I got it! :dance: :faint:

My father and sister were asking me what the heck was I doing, my father even laughed. I brushed him off and then found the guide.

Learned something, felt lucky... and it took me 3 hours to get it without the need to ask someone. A very big thanks to Google and the guy that came out with the guide. :thumb: :beer:

I forgot the link though when my laptop went BSOD.

Attached is my new modem and this is the link to the guide.

Welcome DSL-500T to the family! And prepare to work 24/7 like Aztech. My prayers goes to you and the Aztech goner. :pray:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 26, 2006
  2. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

LOL. Should have asked me. I've got a spare modem. but then again, it's a crap BillionTech Modem :p

3. strawroot

strawroot I Lurrrve Panda Biscuit!

Congratulations! Very fruitful 3 hours. :thumb:

4. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Oh that's the same modem my cousin used! :D

It's not bad as a modem, but its router functions were crap, at least his model. For some reason, it would stop transmitting data every few minutes, and continue again. Damn irritating... :nuts: :nuts:

5. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

d45hk3n h45 1337 r3pu74710n :mrgreen:

6. Jet

Jet Just Started

LOL! I just notice that.. :thumb: :thumb:

7. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Thank for your Christmas present. :beer: :thumb:

Nobody give me reps anymore. :hand: :liar: :mrgreen:

I feel so 1337 right now. :haha:

8. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Luckily I already have a router. But no use configuring it as a router also since I already have one. Configuring it as a pure modem, now that takes some brain which luckily I have coz I found a guide about it online. :shifty:

9. Adrian Wong

Eh funny.. by default, it should function in bridge mode. You shouldn't need to reconfigure it... unless someone else messed with it earlier. :mrgreen:

10. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Hmm... by default it's not bridge mode. Weird le.. :D

11. Adrian Wong

Eh, sounds like someone has been messing with your modem before you bought it! :haha: :haha:

I think you could have just reverted it to default bridge mode by pressing the reset button.

12. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Well, I dunno what the heck is bridge la... :haha: I dun even know now what's that also. The guide doesn't tell also. :faint:

13. Adrian Wong

Oh, well, next time try resetting the modem. Heheh..