A RAM-cooler that actually seem to work!

Discussion in 'Processors, Motherboards & Memory' started by Olle P, Jan 17, 2007.

1. Olle P

Olle P Newbie

From Thermaltake: Spirit RS
    [​IMG]

I think this is what I'd buy if I thought my memory sticks were in need of cooling.

/Olle

2. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

I'd take the thermalright over a thermaltake anyday.... :p

http://www.thermalright.com/a_page/main_product_hr07.htm

You could even mount a fan on to actively cool the heatsink..

But all of these are overkill (plus makes them top heavy and it could potentially get in the way of your CPU cooler unless you have watercooling). I just have fans blowing over my ram... :D

3. Olle P

Olle P Newbie

But that cooler isn't as flexible.
    There's no way I could fit one, less two, of those into my computer!

/Olle

4. rudhrasamy

rudhrasamy Newbie

can it be fitted into SFF

5. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

could probably use it to cool other stuff... like harddisks.. LOL!

6. neverthar

neverthar Newbie

Which is the better way. Somone has tried to overclock using these coolers installed. General observations were that although it stabilised the RAM's at high voltages but the maximum volatges allowed was not as high as it was previously. So becareful when considering such a purchase

7. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Well for one, I would never buy one of these. Airflow is sufficient for ram. In fact the hardcore overclockers actually pry off the heat spreaders so they can cool the bare ram chips with a fan. Plus how would you determine max voltage? I don't see why you couldn't run the same voltage with or without the cooler.

8. neverthar

neverthar Newbie

linked for justice

http://xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=129807

the max voltage we're talking is different then what you perceive. These max voltages are on-shot suicide runs for benches. Not for daily OC'ed usage

9. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

What I was getting at is that you're not being very clear on it (kinda feels like reading a stereo manual)... :D I've run my ram at over 3 volts so I know what you're hitting at (if it is perceived correctly)... :D

Is my perception what you perceive it to be? :haha: If so, how preceptive is your perception of my train of thought? :wicked:

BTW, I've ran my VX ram at 3.3v for daily use for quite a while (with two 80mm fans blowing over em) and they have held up fine.

Also, one concern I'd have is the amount of stress put onto the ram as a result of all that weight that is now hanging on the ram sticks. Heck I would love to put my 80mm tornado on a set (noise won't be a prob because I have a Delta 190CFM fan on my radiator.) But yea, the amount that thing sticks outward, and the combined weight of the fins as well as a tornado, most systems would have trouble running it for the fear of breaking something ala huge tower coolers - except for bench systems.) Especially when nothing secures it on the ram modules.

And also if anything, you just reaffirmed what I said all along. Hardcore OCers take the heat spreaders off and cool it with airflow. Supplemental coolers does little if any for max OC (voltage aside). Which is the case here. Air over the modules is better then cooling to the chips alone.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2007
  10. neverthar

neverthar Newbie

Don't go freudian with me there. I have this terrible tendency to get into an argumentative mood whenever I get hints of psychology.

Just joking.

In the example of the winbond RAM's you quoted, if we relate it to the perceived example, let's say 3.3v would be the max Orthos/Prime95 stable voltages. These is at where the HR-07 would show it's benefits but however for suicide bench stable only runs of say at 3.6v (Yes, I've done that before), these solutions wouldn't work due to massive heat saturation and in the end, the age old method of stripping the heatspreaders and blasting some noisy high rpm fan at it would seem to be the only way.

11. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

I too have gone to 3.6v (its not very extreme to be honest as I am very mild - I prefer 24 hour stability). :mrgreen: While there is no argument to the fact that supplemental coolers serve no purpose to those seeking to push their ram to the absolute max (perceived congruence? :p ). Hopefully that doesn't lead to a love to disagree scenario. :mrgreen:

I couldn't comprehend what you meant in an earlier post but I perfectly catch your drift. :mrgreen:

12. PowerSlide

PowerSlide Just Started

this dun work on all motherboard wen use big sinks

i would have the ocz xtc the one with fan..jus plug in connect n done plus looks cool :mrgreen:

13. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Yea, and it lets air through... :mrgreen:

14. sherren

sherren Newbie

DIY Air Cooling 2x 40mm fans blowing :thumb: :thumb: :cool:

15. ChampionLLY

ChampionLLY News Writer

wow, that ram cooler is kinda extreme..

but i like the idea of watercooling ram by ocz

16. peti1212

peti1212 Newbie

I never seen a cooler like this for a Memory before, but I saw some with fans and little fins. :shock: