A problem that i don't what to put in for title...

Discussion in 'Internet & Networking' started by SkylineRemix, Jan 21, 2007.

1. SkylineRemix

SkylineRemix Newbie

Who plays the runescape game by Jagex? I play the original game, rs07 and sometimes RS7.

Anyone want to play?

Last edited: Jun 5, 2017
  2. Trinity

Trinity Little Kiki Staff Member

let play lah

3. SkylineRemix

SkylineRemix Newbie

Where can? he's only 12 yrs old...
    unless he got his own computer then i don't mind...
    btw, not to be rude but i need solution.. not comments...

Oh ya, sorry for the title.. Keyboard mistake...

4. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Are you using a firewall or router? Some firewalls/routers allow you to block some sites from loading.

5. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Can't you block sites through the router?

6. Olle P

Olle P Newbie

As I see it you should really opt for some middle way.
    A total block of the site seem very harsh.

I'd recommend that he's allowed a reasonable but limited playing time, at reasonable times of the day and week.

I can think of some different ways to handle this:
    - There's a bunch of "parental control" programs around that should let you define restricted sites but allow access through a password (that your brother shouldn't know).
    - Then I think there are programs that can put a time lock on the internet connection. Both as to what times of day there can be any access at all and for how long any one session can last.
    - Another simple and easy way is to limit his access to the computer by have his (and everybody else's) login on the computer password protected, and not let him know any of the passwords.
    You or your parents log him in, and then log him off when they think he shouldn't spend any more time at the computer.

Cheers
    Olle

7. SkylineRemix

SkylineRemix Newbie

If i'm right i'm using Windows provided Firewall and a D-Link ASDL Wireless Router... Don't know if that one can work or not...

Oh? There's such things? Izit a Freeware?

8. hyper_raider

hyper_raider shutdown -h now

You can change the hosts file that redirects that webpage domain to another page :) at least i think it can be done

9. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

I'm also thinking of that same method. but if the software uses IP instead of domain then maybe not.

10. goldfries

goldfries www.goldfries.com

block the PORT used by the game.

for me, i'm using Linksys WRT54G with DD-WRT installed. :) i can block access based on domains, port / services and even set a time zone on when is it allowed / disallowed.

i don't know what other routers have, however there SHOULD be some blocking abilities.

11. Falcone

Falcone Official Mascot Creator

Your D-Link Router should be the last point before going to your StreamyX modem. The router itself should have the firewall, give us the model of the D-link router.

12. SkylineRemix

SkylineRemix Newbie

D-Link DSL-G604T

13. Falcone

Yup your model definitely has firewall, but I have no Dlink router with me now so I can't show u.

Should be easy enuf, log into the router go to firewall settings and add the url into the blocking list.

14. SkylineRemix

SkylineRemix Newbie

There's a thing caleed filter that restricts website but i dont know how to set it..

What they stated in the help page is this:

Filters
    Filters are used to deny LAN computers from accessing the Internet. The Router can be setup to deny internal computers by their IP or MAC addresses. The DSL-G604T can also block users from accessing restricted web sites.
    ==============================================
    IP Filters-Outbound
    Use IP Outbound Filters to deny LAN IP addresses from accessing the Internet. You can deny specific port numbers or all ports for the specific IP address.

Source IP - IP address criteria for the source computer(s) from which the packet originates.

Destination IP - IP address rule criteria for the destination computer(s) (i.e., the IP address of the computer to which the packet is being sent).

Source Port - Port number criteria for the computer(s) from which the packet originates. This field will be dimmed (unavailable for entry) unless you have selected TCP or UDP as the protocol. See the description of Source IP Address for the selection option. (safe port- any port number above 1024 is considered as safe port)

Destination Port - Port number criteria for the computer(s) (i.e., the port number of the type of computer to which the packet is being sent). This field will be dimmed (unavailable for entry) unless you have selected TCP or UDP as the protocol. See the description of Source IP Address for the selection option.

Protocol - drop down menu allows you to select the transport protocol for this access policy. If the desired transport protocol is not listed in the menu, then you can chose "OTHER" option and enter the desired IP based transport protocol number in the following text box.

Action - menu helps in defining this policy as Permit or Deny type policy. Permit type policies allow the traffic matched by the policy selectors to pass through, where as Deny type policy blocks that traffic.
    IP Filters-Inbound
    Use IP Inbound Filters to deny WAN IP addresses from accessing the internal network. You can deny specific port numbers or all ports for the specific IP address.

Source IP - IP address criteria for the source computer(s) from which the packet originates.

Destination IP - IP address rule criteria for the destination computer(s) (i.e., the IP address of the computer to which the packet is being sent).

Source Port - Port number criteria for the computer(s) from which the packet originates. This field will be dimmed (unavailable for entry) unless you have selected TCP or UDP as the protocol. See the description of Source IP Address for the selection option.

Destination Port - Port number criteria for the computer(s) (i.e., the port number of the type of computer to which the packet is being sent). This field will be dimmed (unavailable for entry) unless you have selected TCP or UDP as the protocol. See the description of Source IP Address for the selection option.

Protocol - drop down menu allows you to select the transport protocol for this access policy. If the desired transport protocol is not listed in the menu, then you can chose "OTHER" option and enter the desired IP based transport protocol number in the following text box.

Action - menu helps in defining this policy as Permit or Deny type policy. Permit type policies allow the traffic matched by the policy selectors to pass through, where as Deny type policy blocks that traffic.

Here's a picture of it...

Attached Files:

15. SkylineRemix

SkylineRemix Newbie

Can set time one ah.. so nice...
    I would want one also... but since i got the D-Link Modem, i can't change it unless that one strike by lighthing again.. hehe:p

16. goldfries

goldfries www.goldfries.com

if the interface is similar as 500T, i can check mine out later and see if we can do something about your case.

in the mean time, have you found out what port does that game use?

17. SkylineRemix

SkylineRemix Newbie

Haha.. sorry to ask but how to check which port?

18. Falcone

Or you can just block the ip.....it's the same

19. SkylineRemix

SkylineRemix Newbie

You might be having a nose bleed now but i don't know how to check their IP...

20. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Just ping runescape.com for the IP. It's 69.31.109.4 anyway.