What's your fav CNY food?

Discussion in 'strawroot' started by strawroot, Feb 14, 2007.

1. strawroot

strawroot I Lurrrve Panda Biscuit!

What is your fav?
    Bak kua? I actually prefer the 'gold coin' bak kua than the thin big piece, altho i am not a big fan of this, but if i were to choose, i prefer the coin-shaped one :D because it's thicker and meatier :twisted:

Attached Files:

2. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

We always make those love letters on CNY eve (at my grandma's - ah how I miss being there). I help out too (by eating up the rejected ones - ones that didn't fold right or broke while folding.) LOL! I R Helpful... :D

3. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Oh yes, I was thinking of love letter when I saw the title, but couldn't remember what it was called until I saw your post. :haha:

4. strawroot

i love the old-school love letters, those only made with egg, butter n flour, smells really good. but... my mom doesn't know how to make a single kuih... :shifty: :shifty:

5. ToyotaFreak

ToyotaFreak Just Started

Mmmm... I like love letters! I also like the New Year cake.

btw just curious, are you also part chinese?

6. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Eh, but it's actually the same as the normal bak kua, according to Bee Cheng Hiang shop that I asked. But I too prefer it to the large ones. Maybe because it's bite-size. :mrgreen:

7. Adrian Wong

I used to help my grandmother and aunties make love letters. Ahhh.. The good old days, sitting around those charcoal-burning BBQ trays making love letters. :mrgreen:

8. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Yea, thats the one we make.... :drool:

Yea, I'm half chinese (my mom is chinese.)

Yea, there'd be most of the cousins there with some of the aunties who'd be around the charcoal fire. I'd be the one standing there with two of my other cousins who'd make short work of the rejected ones... :haha:

9. Adrian Wong

Hahaha.. I love eating the rejects too, cause they are hot and fresh! :thumb:

10. ToyotaFreak

ToyotaFreak Just Started

Cool!:thumb:

I wished my mother could make them, but she doesn't have the acuan for it. We've only bought the ready-made ones.

btw, I've tried some of the modernized versions (One of them had a chocolate wafer in each love letter.) from the asian stores down under, but they just didn't taste right. Nothing can beat the traditional one!:thumb:

11. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Yea! :drool: YUMMY!!! I miss it even more now... :cry:

Yea! Traditional home made ones are the best! :thumb:

12. strawroot

Here is another one!

Spring roll with meat, carrot and some vege. I used to help my mom to wrap this spring roll, thts how i get scolded also. Becoz my spring roll is always either too fat, too thin or come loose, then the meat will leak out during the process of cooking. So, this year, my mom didn't want my help anymore. :thumb:

it's a good thing :clap:

Attached Files:

13. Papercut

Papercut Newbie

My favourite? PINEAPPLE TARTS :drool:

14. Falcone

Falcone Official Mascot Creator

Hahaha I remember my mum used to order two packs. One for everyone else and the other for me alone :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

15. Adrian Wong

I love my grandmother's "meatball". Well, it isn't really a meatball. It looks more like a really large, fat sausage.

Hey, I actually have photos of them making it when I recently went back to Pontian.. Argghhh.. Must go post them soon. Hmm.. Should I post them in the blog, or photography section... :think:

16. strawroot

Love letters!

Attached Files:

17. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

I prefer folded...

18. Trinity

Trinity Little Kiki Staff Member

:roll:

The dinner thread of course!!!:lol: :wave:

(trin "pimps" thread):haha: