E6300 vs E6600

Discussion in 'Processors, Motherboards & Memory' started by Dashken, Feb 26, 2007.

1. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Is there a big performance difference between this two? :think:

2. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Quite big IMO. But you probably can't tell the differences.

3. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Cannot tell? Can feel or not? When you say cannot tell, you mean software, games, overall OS operation or? :think:

4. Chai

I don't think anyone can really tell the difference until you really start to utilise the power.

5. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Hmm.. Think of it this way. There's a big difference in performance (at least when you benchmark), if you don't overclock and use slower RAM.

But if you do overclock, going with the E6300 might allow you to hit a higher clock speed (due to the smaller cache). If so, the higher clock speed might offset the smaller cache. With the much lower price of the E6300, it might be a smarter choice to go with the E6300, instead of the E6600.

6. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

I see... then I'll stay put with E6300 then. If I get one that is. :mrgreen: And it's damn cheap now, you can get one for RM400+. :faint:

7. m0dD3r

m0dD3r Newbie

My friend was also trying to figure out this same question recently. He decided to go with a E6300 instead of the E6600. Once we clocked it up to 2.8Ghz stable, it was actually faster so things worked out nicely! You might also want to consider getting an E4300 since they have higher OC potential due to the lower multiplier.

8. Chai

That is not true. E6600 are almost always much better overclocker than E6300.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2007
  9. Adrian Wong

Yeah, you might want to try the E4300. :thumb:

10. Adrian Wong

Huh.. Really?? From what I read, most people seem to have better success with the E6300 than the E6600.

11. Chai

E6300 can be clocked to 3.2GHz range if you have good RAM and mobo, E6600 clocked to 3.6GHz if the processor can do that well.

12. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

What RAM is considered good, and how about motherboard? :think: Is there any mobo in the range of RM300-400+ that's a good overclocker? :think:

13. Trinity

Trinity Little Kiki Staff Member

:think: :think: :think: p5b:think:

14. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

Yup, from what I observe, the E6600 usually achieve higher overclocks than the E6300.

15. largon

largon Newbie

AnandTech overclocked an E6300 and compared it to E6600 among others. [email protected] is always faster than a stock E6600.

Statistically speaking, it would make sense if E6600s OC'ed higher than E6300s just because of the fact that E6600 is of a higher speed bin.
    "Higher quality" chips.

16. Chai

Yup, that's true.