Worklog: Project King Kong II, Silverstone TJ07

Discussion in 'Overclocking, Cooling & Modding' started by ianho, Mar 5, 2007.

1. ianho

ianho Newbie

[​IMG]

King Kong's sponsors :-

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. Look what I just picked up today. It's a looooooooooooooooooooooovely new cage for King Kong. I will call this worklog King Kong II. This will now be my main Gaming rig. I'd like to say a big thank you to my generous sponsors, Silverstone-Inter Asia Technology Sdn. Bhd, Team Xtreem RAM, Arctic Cooling, E-Devices Technology Sdn. Bhd. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Here's sum pix of how the stock standard Silverstone TJ07. I'll start modding it in the next few days after I finish off the mods on Casemod MiniMe.
    Look at how big the box is. It's humongous! :flex: It's as tall as my kitchen counter if u look carefully at the pix. How tall is that? Just go to ure kitchen n imagine the box is as tall as ure kitchen cabinets.

[​IMG]

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee, King Kong's new cage is coming out. Even just peeking out like that, u can see just how lovely that aluminum chassis is.

[​IMG]

Here's the list of hardware going into King Kong.
    AMD X2 4200+ @2.7Ghz|| Arctic Cooling Freezer64 Pro|| Arctic Cooling MX-1 thermal paste|| Asus A8N32SLi-Deluxe|| 2X Nvidia 8800GTX SLi|| 2X1Gb Team Xtreem Cronus DDR500mhz|| 150Gb Raptor + 250Gb Caviar WD HDD|| 1000W Silverstone Olympia PSU|| Silverstone TJ07.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2007
  2. ianho

ianho Newbie

OK. The pix editing is done. Here comes more pix of the case.

Front 3 quarters view. That's the most beautiful part of this case. That front panel is actually 1 whole piece of aluminum starting from the top to the front to the bottom. The case consists of that single piece n the 2 side panels. Looooooovely. Just lovely.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Left side view.

[​IMG]

Right side view.

[​IMG]

Top of the case. It's got a really nice exhaust with 2x120mm fans up there. I can install a really nice 2x120mm radiator there if I ever get back into watercooling.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rear view. Look at the bottom section. It can take 2 PSUs. :thumbs:

[​IMG]

Internal pix.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 5, 2007
  3. ianho

ianho Newbie

Stripped the case down to study the structure n construction of the case. This will allow me to get more ideas on what to mod n how to mod it later. There's a lot of things to study b4 really getting down to modding it coz this case is really modular. It's like a box of Lego blocks. practically the whole case can be stripped down n removed to individual parts. So far I've only seen 3 rivets. The rest r all screws. Anyway, here's a pic of the mobo tray removed.

[​IMG]

I've been studying the structure n also checking out some mods on the net for ideas. I started a part of the major mods today. I'm gonna strip out everything, n I mean EVERYTHING. Remember I told u guys this case is like a box of Lego blocks? Well, it really is. :thumbs: Check out the stripping work below.

Started by removing the mobo tray, tray rails n the top exhaust fans n mesh mounting.

[​IMG]

View from the top.

[​IMG]

Sum pix of the chassis mounting joints. They're all screwed together. This 1 is a pic of the lower part of the ROM cage.

[​IMG]

Side view of the ROM cage.

[​IMG]

Top of the ROM cage.

[​IMG]

After removing all those screws, the entire ROM cage structure comes out just like that.

[​IMG]

It's now time to remove that divider plate between the mobo n PSU sections of the case. I hafta remove the USB ports at the front n sum screws on the sides b4 I can remove the divider plate.

[​IMG]

4. ianho

ianho Newbie

Here's a pic to give u guys an idea of the pure build quality of the TJ07 case. Many ppl have asked me y on earth a PC case like the TJ07 can be sold at rm1200. This is a good example of y it is so. Look at the pic below n check out the thickness of the aluminum Unibody.

The main unibody section(the U shaped part which makes up the top, front n bottom) itself is 4mm thick in the mid section n 8mm thick on the rim section.

[​IMG]

The Unibody section is made using automotive stamping machinery like how they stamp car body panels. Now, is that pure quality or what?

Got down to more stripping work. In fact I stripped it down totally until nothing left. :hehe:

After removing the USB ports, I removed the divider plate. Here's how it looks like without the divider.

[​IMG]

It's already pretty bare but there's more stuff to remove. The HDD cages.

[​IMG]

Everything is now removed except for the PSU mounting plate at the back. Look at all those parts that have been removed! It's my loooooooooovely box of Lego blocks. :lol:

[​IMG]

Here's how the chassis looks like now. Absolutely bare except for the PSU plate. I left it on coz it doesn't affect my work on the case. Actually the 2 bars at the back n the PSU plate can b removed too. Then all u'll b left with is the main Aluminum Unibody(the U shaped part).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 5, 2007
  5. ianho

ianho Newbie

Time to remove everything. Absolutely everything! :hehe:

1st thing I did was to remove the rivets holding the mobo tray's rail on the divider plate. U can c the rail on the divider here.

[​IMG]

Turned it over so I can access teh rivets from the back.

[​IMG]

drill drill drill n it's almost out.

[​IMG]

:hyper: :hyper: :hyper: The dreaded rivets r out! Begone u evil rivets. I sentence u to Ian's Dungeon of Obsolescence forever! :lol:

[​IMG]

Now it's time to remove everything from the Unibody chassis. Removing the screws holding the rear alu pipes to the Unibody in this pix.

[​IMG]

Closer view of the rear pipes.

[​IMG]

The rear section is now completely removed.

[​IMG]

6. ianho

ianho Newbie

Now u can c y the unibody chassis is so strong. C how the thing is actually expanding outwards instead of the normal square shape. It's pretensioned like a spring. That gives the chassis extra strength.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wokeh, the stripping is done.
    Have any of u guys ever seen a case stripped down to this extent? :hehe: Now, that's what I call a really cool case. :thumbs:

1 person likes this.
  7. empire23

empire23 BRB. Attacking Russia

CUT CUT CUT lol. So what are your plans for this casing? Damn seeing it makes me hard lah, the beauty of brushed aluminium and spanking new anodization...just pure sweetness. Well atleast i ain't as bad as snipe who gets his rocks of by going to Osim showrooms :p

8. ianho

ianho Newbie

LOL! Sniper's next rig will haf an Osim horsie incorporated into it. A rocking horsie case.

9. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Too bad, this case doesn't really fits my needs.

10. That case is already sweet as is!! But I'm sure it'll be sweeter when you're done with it! :mrgreen:

11. empire23

empire23 BRB. Attacking Russia

LOL Manyak Seksi

12. ianho

ianho Newbie

@sprankiko, yeah lol. I hope my sponsors like it or else my head will roll!

BTW, u fellas who r interested to c King Kong II in the flesh can come join us at the PCmoddingmy LANparty on 25th March. I've already activated all 10 panic buttons as I haf only 20 days left to complete it. :doh:

13. sherren

sherren Newbie

:wave: Welcome over to ARP:wave:

:thumb: great to see you over here, :beer:

ur king kong sure they get inspired of better than mine :wicked: :wall:

14. ianho

ianho Newbie

Thanks for the welkamb. Well, yeah I hope to spread the case modding fever to the nice ppl here at techARP. I just loooooooooooove poisoning ppl. :lol:
    Anyway, here's a small tiny update.

Here's sum toys I just got for King Kong II. :wicked: :wicked: Once again, thanks to my fabulous sponsor Silverstone.

It's a Silverstone MS02 external HDD enclosure. So niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice. Made to the same exacting quality standards as all the SST casings. Full brushed aluminum n diamond cut edges. The blingest HDD enclosure I've ever seen. Absolutely perfect for sitting on my King Kong II workstation table. It even comes with 1 touch backup software. Perfect for backing up all my Worklog pics. Just "click" everytime I haf new pics in my PC n it's done. :thumb:

Here comes the pix.

In the box.

[​IMG]

Taking it out. Wheeeeeeeeeeeeee, I just love the feeling of that super 1337 brushed aluminum. just look at the quality of the finish. Beautifuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuul.

[​IMG]

The USB interface n 1 Touch button can be seen here.

[​IMG]

Just look at that beautiful diamond cut edging. Loooooooooooooooovely. Who says diamonds are a girl's best friend? They're my best friend too. :lol:

[​IMG]

Everything out of the box including the bundled stuff. Left to right:- Leather pouch, enclosure, 1 Touch Backup software CD, manual.

[​IMG]

The pouch is so nice. Fits the enclosure nicely n it also comes with the USB wire tucked nicely in the elastic band thingy. Look closely at the USB wires n u'll notice it comes with 2 big USB heads. This is so u can plug into two USB ports to make sure u get the required juice to power up the HDD. This is to avoid the need for a 5V adapter like most enclosures. :thumb:

[​IMG]

Only got this to update to share with u guys for now. The KK II updates will come later. I'm frantically working on it now to make it ready for the PCmoddingmy LANparty on the 25th. Need to work fast. No time to edit pics yet.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2007
  15. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Wow...nice enclosure. How much? :p

16. ianho

ianho Newbie

I dunno how much it is. It's not available locally yet. The Silverstone bosses came over for a visit recently n generously gave me 1 unit. Inter Asia says it'll b available soon but dunno the price yet. But yeah, it's so so so nice. Made entirely of a single piece of extruded aluminum just like all the SST cases. :thumb:

1 person likes this.
  17. Wow! Can you sponsor me too? :p Maybe a PSU? :haha:

You must be EXTREMELY good at modding for them to fully sponsor you like that! :thumb:

18. ianho

ianho Newbie

Wheeeeeeeeeeeee. I found sum time to edit pix today. Here we go with sum updates.

Here's the divider plate. I hafta line up the mobo tray support rail on the other side. This is so I can mark out the place to drill the 3 mounting holes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After that, I bolted on the rail n mounted the mobo tray n voila! My BTX mod for the TJ07 is done.

[​IMG]

View of the BTX mod from the back.

[​IMG]

Remember how a stock TJ07's internals looks like? Here it is.

[​IMG]

After flipping over the mobo tray to BTX style I hit a slight problem. Look at the triangular plate at the top right corner of the pic. That's gonna block the view n look ugly.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

No problem. With a lil bit of Dremel lovin, it'll be nice n trim under that top window.
    So I removed the mobo tray for sum cutting n here we are. A nice cut out so that it'll look good under the top window.

[​IMG]

After cutting out the triangular plate at the top, I put the mobo tray back in and everything fits perfectly n looks nice now without that thing blocking the view.

[​IMG]

Well, that's it for now folks. It's really late n King Kong needs his rest. We'll leave him alone so he can sit back n chill with his well deserved bunch of bananas. :D

[​IMG]

19. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

LOL!! That's a really cute King Kong! :thumb:

20. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

hehe, they dun match eh :lol:
    one is kewte, another one is fierce