If you have an old computer, pass it on and make someone happy today!

Discussion in 'Adrian Wong' started by Adrian Wong, Mar 19, 2007.

1. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

All of us at Tech ARP love computers. It's an irrevocable fact. Heck, some LICH folks here change parts more often than the rest of us change our underwear! :haha: :haha:

But while we oogle and salivate at all the latest developments and releases in the PC industry, we forget that many others have never even used a computer, or even touched one. It's a sad fact, but it's true.

A couple of months ago, I had the opportunity to follow a fisherman in Sg. Udang, Penang out to the pride of his life's work - a shared kelong. A kelong, for those not familiar with local fishing methods, is a platform that floats out at sea and allows fishermen to farm fish in netted enclosures.

Even after working for many years at sea, he couldn't afford his own kelong. He only managed to buy a small section and that only after getting a loan from a relative. Even so, he was extremely friendly and eager to show me the skills of his trade. It was a truly amazing day for me at sea and at his kelong. Will have pictures to show you guys later. :beer:

When I came back to shore and visited his home, I realized that his children did not own a computer. When they heard that I was in the "computer business", they asked me if a computer was very expensive. Evidently, they would love to own one. Who doesn't?

Then the idea struck me. Tech ARP had some review samples that we did not give out and I personally had some parts I intended to put out for sale. Why not use them to build them a computer? And so, Operation Nemo came into being.

While Nemo was to be donated to them, it should not be something obsolete. It should be usable and good enough to last them for the next few years. So, I gathered the best components I had and put the older stuff for sale at the FreeTradeZone.

Finally, I managed to assemble the following computer for them :

Well, as you can see, it's not state-of-the-art, but it should serve them well, especially after being overclocked and optimized. :mrgreen:

Anyway, I had the pleasure of going back to Sg. Udang recently to surprise them with the computer. Needless to say, they were soon engrossed with it and even fought over it. Hehe.. Kids. :mrgreen:

Take a look at these photos. I hope it inspires some of you to contribute your older computers to those who never had the opportunity to use one. For me, it certainly won't be my last project. :beer:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 22, 2007
    7 people like this.
  2. Adrian Wong

Two more pictures. :mrgreen:

Attached Files:

3. strawroot

strawroot I Lurrrve Panda Biscuit!

it was a really nice of you :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
    the girl is cute!

4. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

its not state of the art but its already pretty powerful :p
    now make sure the kids dont fight over it

5. Jet

Jet Just Started

Boss is so kind!!! :clap:

6. Echolac

Echolac Newbie

wah...you didnt show them any game ah boss...the kid is playing with microsoft word!! LOL..anyway... it very nice of you!!:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

7. Bestia(ry)

Bestia(ry) Mac'ster

Nah, look closer, they're plain' pinball. ^^

Adrian -> :thumb:

8. Echolac

Echolac Newbie

LOL...still tagged under MS:haha: :haha: :haha:

9. Trinity

Trinity Little Kiki Staff Member

That was very kind of you Adrian.:clap: :clap: :clap: :angel:

Ghaaa!!!:shock:

It is better speced then what I am using now!:faint:
    (trin waits for mid April C2D price cut):)

10. Adrian Wong

Ahh.. It is only a small thing la.. Now, donate your notebook!!! :twisted: :haha: :haha:

11. Adrian Wong

Yeah, I made sure the system can at least play Doom 3 at 1024x768. :mrgreen:

But of course they didn't get Doom 3. They did quickly learn Space Cadet though! :haha: :haha:

Oh, don't worry. Their mother is quite "fierce". I'm sure she can handle them. Hehe... :mrgreen:

12. Adrian Wong

LOL! Well, they are just lucky I have enough spare parts to build them a PC. And also that Tech ARP is fortunate to have some spare review samples lying around.

So, this is as much a Tech ARP project as my own personal project. :beer:

13. Adrian Wong

Oh, that's because one of them was really more interested in learning how to do his homework on the PC. He kept asking me to show him where to load applications like Paint, Word, Excel, etc.

Apparently, they are now teaching kids how to use the PC in school. I'm not sure if they actually have PCs in his school, but at the very least they were given a book on PCs and some PC applications like Paint.

14. Adrian Wong

Yeah! They loved it! They caught on to the concept quickly and were soon hammering at the keyboard together! :D

15. Adrian Wong

LOL! Well, even my father's PC is far less powerful than theirs. I think he's using a 750MHz Duron and only 256MB of RAM. I better upgrade his PC one day. :haha:

Don't worry! I'm sure your new PC will be very much more powerful than theirs soon enough! :twisted:

16. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

+REP for Adrian!

17. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

Adrian u rox!!! :thumb: :thumb:

18. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Wow... sai... you rox0r man! :thumb:

19. zicovsky

zicovsky Newbie

they have better ram and HD than me.. damn! haha

nice gesture :D

20. Adrian Wong

ROTFL! Thanks, guys, but it's really not about me.

Honestly, their smiles are totally worth the cost and effort multiplied a hundred times. :mrgreen:

Since there are so many LICH people here, I'm thinking, you guys definitely upgrade often, right? :wicked:

If so, think about donating your "old" PC. There are many people who will love to have your PC. :mrgreen: