C2D Overclocking All-In-1 Thread

Discussion in 'Overclocking, Cooling & Modding' started by Dashken, Apr 24, 2007.

1. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Yeah... get a C2D processor and start overclocking. Any insights to share with this noob here? :think:

2. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

E6600? LICH!

P5B-E plus? Wrong mobo combination... :haha: I have a tough time overclocking E6600 on P5B-E Plus. Highest I could do was 350MHz FSB. Cooling is a mojor issue for C2D.

3. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Let's try if I could get more than that. :mrgreen:

But with cheap RAMs though. :(

Edit: But with those cheap RAMs, I don't think I can go far. even a 2.80Ghz, I would be damn happy adi. :haha: Now, have to kautim the audio driver problem 1st. :wall: The last I checked, the CPU is hovering at 45-ish idle. Damn...

Last edited: Apr 24, 2007
  4. Chai

You shuold care about the load temp.

5. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

I meant idle also quite high already, load maybe much higher. My AMD64 is only around 40-ish... :faint:

6. Chai

Hard to say. The C2d I overclocked reached 80+C regularly. Hehe. I don't have a better cooler.

7. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

You can't really compare C2D with single core A64. C2D is so much hotter :mrgreen:

I personally don't care much about the load temperature unless it's unstable :haha:

8. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

the thing Im more worried is the VRM temp.

I got myself a C2Q6700 (ES) @ a dirt cheap price.
    when I oc, it's not the CPU temp that worries me, but the VRM's. these things get so hot, they burn your finger. imagine if you run it 24/7 for a year :faint:
    4-phase can hardly make it for long term overclocking. so far, DQ6 seems to have the best VRM design. 6-phase, each with a 2 high 2 low mosfet with 2 inductors design. XBX2 is great as well with a 5-phase 2high2low Mosfet. but XBX2 is so expensive, close to a K :(

settled for P5B deluxe. 333x10=3.3GHz. Still extremely hot! :(

Last edited: Apr 25, 2007
  9. Chai

Those who watercool might take these VRMs, NB/SB for granted. They can get pretty hot, especially the P965 chipsets.

10. Chai

Which DQ6? 965 or 680?

11. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Huh? Chai... who is using your account? :haha: :haha: :haha:

12. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

both. 965 & 680. DQ6 = quad series. the meaningless 6 quad crap.

gigabyte calls it a 12-phase VRM design. but it's a plain lie.

it's jsut a 6phase 2high+2low mosfet and 2 chokes design. it's not 12phase. in fact on the 680DQ6 i cant even locate the mosfet driver for the 6th phase VRM. the mosfets and chokes are there, but where is the driver? :?:

now think again, i would say the XBX2 has the best VRM implementation for a C2Q and C2D. robust stuff.

Attached Files:

13. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Reviving my thread. :mrgreen: Needs advice from you experts. :D

I got my system stable at the below o/c.

I have some questions.

1) Is it safe to run at the above specs 24/7?
    2) Should I lower the CPU vCore?
    3) Because ZuePhok mentioned that E6600 max voltage by Intel specs is +0.1/0.2v from 1.35v. So, is that voltage in BIOS or the one detected in Windows? Because I heard such thing as vdroop where voltage set in BIOS will drop in Windows or something? Maybe that's why I get a ~0.7v difference between CPUz and BIOS. Or the voltage detected in CPUz is just inaccurate? :think:

Please advise. Thanks. :D

Last edited: Jun 19, 2007
  14. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Oops... I read Phok's statement wrongly... the decimal point. +0.1-0.2 is considered safe? Means can go as far as 1.525v as long as the temp is safe? :think:

One thing that I've been wondering, I've read some overclocks' stories around the net, why some of them even on stock cooler can maintain temp at 40+oC and 50+oC load, some even lower! :faint:

15. Papercut

Papercut Newbie

Two words: "temperate climate" :p

16. Chai

That's one thing I hate about P5B-E, the voltage drop is terrible, not vdroop.

17. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Running Orthos at 415x8 @ 3.3Ghz stable for 8 hours now. :thumb:

Eh, not vdroop but vdrop? LOL! Vdroop is all over the Internet. Talk about typo, and everyone follows as well. :D Thanks for the correction. ;)

18. Chai

vdroop means the difference between the voltage drop during idle and load. Like when in Windows, 1.40V, but when running Orthos, 1.35V. That's vdroop.

19. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Ohh... so, technically, which voltage should I be concerned on, vcore in BIOS or vcore in Windows idle mode? :think:

20. Chai

If possible, use a multimeter and check on the motherboard directly. :p