a question

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Brian, Apr 28, 2007.

1. Brian

Brian Newbie

okay, i'm planning to get a desktop computer in malaysia in a few months time and then bring it back over to the UK

i've been tracking ram prices over the past few months and the price drops have been huge

currently kingston's 1gb ddr2-667 ram module retails for rm140 at cycom

i've been thinking of getting 4gb straightaway, but seeing that 2gb memory modules have already been introduced in the market and that prices are dropping very rapidly, my question is:

should i go for 2*2gb or 4*1gb?

i reckon that prices will start going back up soon enough so i plan to ask a friend to get it asap.

the current plan for the pc is for it to last up to 2010++, and i'm kinda hoping that 4gb will last me in games till then, but knowing how quickly the computer industry moves, i doubt it.

as i see it, there's some pros and cons of getting 4*1gb and 2*2gb

4*1gb
    pros : bloody cheap, bloody bloody cheap and it'll last you a longg while
    cons: if you want to upgrade you gotta throw out a few sticks

2*2gb
    pros : upgradeability in the future
    cons: current price, although it may drop more in a few months time, but probably never going to reach the lows of the 4*1gb option, and if the prices rebound, going to have to pay a pretty penny for the option

there's been a third option that has been lingering in my mind, the 2*1gb then add another 4gb later option, but nah, i rather stick with 4 or 8:mrgreen:

so yeah, what should i choose? =/

p.s. ddr667 or ddr800? i do plan to do a mild overclock, nothing too extreme, but i do realise that intel's 1333mhz fsb core 2 duos are coming, but i'm thinking of the core 2 quads(specifically, the q6600), which i believe will still be on a 1066mhz fsb then. so ddr667 or 800? =/

(and before anyone starts saying i'm lich, i'm currently suffering on a old sony notebook with an athlon xp 1500+ and 256mb ram, so yes a new computer's in order and i'm only paying a third of the cost)

Last edited: Apr 28, 2007
  2. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

I would personally go for 2x2GB if I can afford it and it is not too much more expensive than 4x1GB.

3. Papercut

Papercut Newbie

You need a 64-bit OS to make full use of 4GB, right? Someone correct me if I'm wrong :think:

4. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Yea, 32bit will only take up to 3GB max if I'm not mistaken.

64bit Windows has PAE (Physical Address Extension) that can use 4GB and upwards ram.

Worry not about lichess. lol. Just enjoy what you buy. :D

I would take DDR2-800... :mrgreen:

Last edited: Apr 29, 2007
  5. Brian

Brian Newbie

well from what i heard the 32 bit edition of vista could take up to 4gb, it was more on the motherboard's implementation instead(been lurking around ars and anandtech forums)

anyway, the 2gb module prices i'm tracking are on newegg

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010170147+1052315794&name=4GB(2+x+2GB)

currently about rm250/gb, which is about 1.8x the price of the 1gb modules

oh, and yes, one more question, this is for a friend

given a choice between the asus p5b(not deluxe or anything) and the gigabyte p965-ds3 motherboard, which would be better for a mild overclock from 2.4ghz(266mhz) to 3ghz(333mhz) for a e6600? thanks :) [i'll admit i'm a little biased against asus due to their higher prices]

Last edited: Apr 29, 2007
  6. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

From my understanding, 4GB is the max address space. But that includes the memory on other peripherals (like graphics cards or other addin cards with memory - X-Fi, RAID controllers, etc). This is why most people don't really get the same space available (those with 32bit Vista and 4GB of ram) as their hardware installed differs.

64bit has PAE which increases the limit. And honestly, I am a fan of 64bit. I used 64bit XP (and have both versions of Vista) and albeit the lack of some drivers, gaming performance was improved quite a bit on XP x64. Now all the drivers are there and working. I installed 32bit coz my brand new printer doesn't have vista drivers yet (have to mod the xp drivers to get it working - Damn HP!)

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...bf-4823-4a12-afe1-5b40b2ad3725&DisplayLang=en
    http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-gb/library/aa366778.aspx

Home Basic with PAE supports 8GB. Other versions support even higher.

I would recommend you get the retail version (as it ships with both versions so you can choose which one but only one key).

7. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Yeah, PsY is right. 4GB if the maximum addressable memory for 32-bit operating systems. Even 3GB is pushing it as you will need to leave some addressing space for the paging file, graphics memory, etc.

2GB is the sweet spot for 32-bit OS. If you want to go beyond that, better go 64-bit.

8. Brian

Brian Newbie

alright, 64 bit vista it is then, since there isn't any added cost anyway compared to 32 bit, but anyone have any idea on what motherboard's 'better' ?

p.s. went back to do some reading and realised that the limitation still existed with 64 bit versions of vista due to older motherboards and chipsets, nothing to do with the 32 bit edition, kinda mixed it all up

and yes, a reply to the original question would be appreciated :)

9. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Well I was merely pointing out the software aspect of it. Hardware aside. :) As for hardware, older hardware would be irrelevant as you're getting new stuff. :D

I really can't say which one to go to. Not sure how the particular chipsets take the ram (command rate?) Ideally find one that won't sacrifice too much latency for bandwith and strike a draw inbetween.

10. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

I don't think getting 2x2gb will help longetivity. DDR3 is coming! :haha:

11. Brian

Brian Newbie

i heard it will only become mainstream in 2009, so who cares ;)

point is, i'm a buyer who buys for the long term, and i rather not throw out old components and stuff, and i'm of the impression that the more ram the better, so 2*2 or 4*1?

i can always easily add 2*2gb ddr2 when the price drops later in the future, not being too bothered about ddr3 because i don't remember any significant performance gains with ddr2 compared to ddr when it first debuted, the main ones came after they ramped up the speed later

else i wont be living with a (nearly) 6 year old system today ;)

[a little background, this pc is mainly for my uncle who i'm staying with, so once i leave his place he'll be using it exclusively and he simply wants it to last, which is why i've been thinking of 2*2gb, and no, he doesnt play any games, and i reckon that the amount of ram is pretty much the most important factor for him for longetivity, not ddr2/ddr3/graphics card/processor/hdd or blah]

12. Chai

Well the problem is not about performance gain from DD2 to DDR3. But upgradability, and stock availability. 2gb is more than sufficient if you are not using Vista. Honestly, I don't see a good reason why people should start using it now. :haha:

13. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

Hmm why do you need 4GB in the first place? unless you are going to run enterprise softwares or running multiple virtual machines at the same time, I doubt you'd need to have 4GB in the first place.

14. Brian

Brian Newbie

well, he wants it to last as long as possible before it needs an upgrade, and while i used to ask the question "why 4gb?", with such low memory prices, i find myself asking "why not 4gb?" instead

and yeah i plan to use it as a gaming rig, till well, err, when i leave the place

15. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

my PC back at home has 1.5gb of RAM & its running XP .. so .. :haha: my dad only uses it for web stuffs or office stuffs :haha: will last him for quite sometime :mrgreen:

16. NoFormz

NoFormz Newbie

Dude, why not you get 2*1GB now. Then when you switch to Vista, and you felt that you needed the extra 2GB, then only go for it. There's not much point in getting it now. And by then maybe the price for 2*1GB prices will be even lower.

17. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

Start with 1GB first. Later when the price for another 1GB stick is cheaper, go for 2GB. :D

18. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

But then he'd miss out on dual channel. :p

19. Brian

Brian Newbie

because i'm starting off with vista :) i do realise that your statement has the unstated assumption of me getting a p edition, but no, i don't intend to get a p edition of xp or vista, so going straight to vista would be a more economical option

besides, it means a bigger e-penis:mrgreen: :haha:

hmm but i'm kinda surprised though, i thought the consensus with such low memory prices was go for 4gb and forget 2gb for longetivity

20. Chai

2GB modules are not exactly very common now. I don't think I could even find 2GB modules in Lowyat.