Is my HD dead?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by zicovsky, Jul 19, 2007.

1. zicovsky

zicovsky Newbie

Hi all,

I've a 80GB SATA hd that I was using as my primary hd (had windows and everything on it), one day, all of a sudden, I turned on my computer and windows wouldn't load, tried everything I coudl imagine and still it wouldn't load.

So I installed windows on another HD I have here and booted from that one with the SATA still plugged in.

Even though the SATA HD is recognized when booting up, it won't show on windows explorer, did it die? anyone have any idea?

man, all my stuff is there :/

2. PowerSlide

PowerSlide Just Started

can say so..

try it on another pc see how

3. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

I have a faulty HDD too. Now I couldn't format it... :( Even using the SeaTools to set zero bit failed.

4. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

How about right-click My Computer > Manage > Disk Management? Can you see your disk there? :think:

5. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

probably damaged partitions ? ;p

6. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Hmm.. Don't junk it yet. Install it in your computer as a second drive (not boot). See if the BIOS even detects it. There's hope if it's detectable in the BIOS.

In Windows, go My Computer > Manage > Disk Management (as Dashken recommends) and check if the partitions are healthy. You can scan them for any problems. Hopefully, it's just a soft error. :think:

7. zicovsky

zicovsky Newbie

I have it already as second drive, the bios detects it but windows don't.

I'll try your advice when I get home Adrian and Dashken.

8. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

I think when you see it at Disk Management, it's be displayed as Unknown Partition or something. :D

9. zicovsky

zicovsky Newbie

If that's the case then I guess all my files are gone forever. damn, didn't see this coming at all.

I'll check it out tonight, at least if I can get the HD to work i'll be half happy.

10. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

If you still can start up the drive, maybe it can be recovered.

11. zy

if you are using NTFS, there is still chance of file recovery.
    i accidentally deleted on of my 120gb ntfs partition before, but i was able to recover all the files.

12. zicovsky

zicovsky Newbie

Okay, for apparently no reason, windows detected it again, i plugged it in, rebooted and windows woudn't see it, i rebooted again and windows saw it. which means all my files are safe (phew)

BUT, i tried to boot the pc with it set as primary and I got a blue screen of death with no error message or anything, just a generic BSOD. should I try to use recovery console?

Take a look: http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/9582/fdisfjdjd2.jpg

We have C:, D: and F: which are the HD with windows that I'm using now, my dvd-write and a virtual drive.

And now we have E: and G:.. E: was my main old windows partition and G: was my secondary partition to keep stuff, I just have no idea what that 502 MB unkown partition is.

13. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Waste no more time and back up everything before it's too late!!! :o :haha:

14. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

Yup. better to backup all the files asap. maybe some kind of failing hd controller chip.

15. zy

yeah, backup to be safe,

16. zicovsky

zicovsky Newbie

haha that's exactly what i'm doing.

anyway, i guess i'll try to re-format later and see how it goes, windows is weird!

also, anyone can give any help on which commands I can run on recovery console to try to fix it?

Last edited: Jul 20, 2007
  17. Adrian Wong

I can't remember the console commands, but one of them is fixmbr. That's for fixing the Master Boot Record.

18. zicovsky

zicovsky Newbie

yeah it was beyong repair.

but I was able to save all my files, which i'm very glad.

thanks for all the help guys!!

19. Adrian Wong

Phew, at least you got your files out! :thumb:

20. zicovsky

zicovsky Newbie

and it DIED! hahaha

damn.. i managed to save all my files, i was just started using it agian and all of a sudden, pluft.. dead.

bah! now i have to use my old 4200 rpm hd. i'm in bad luck lately, my graphics card cooler died, now my hd.. wonder what's next.