TV Tuner woe

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by bluesman737, Sep 19, 2007.

1. bluesman737

bluesman737 Newbie

Bought an Acer aspire desktop with E6400 processor, NVidia 7500LE Graphics and an Happauge TV tuner.

Set the tuner up from the Media Center and it plays the UK based freeview channels fine, considering I only have it attached to a weak indoor aerial.

That said, the programme listing downloaded and subsequently updated from the Media Center is wrong. When I right click the screen during a live TV broadcast. it shows the right channel data, but the programme title will be one due to transmit around 6 hours after the programme currently showing - however the programme time itself shows as the current time!!!!

For example.... it will show Channel BBC1 (correct) a Programmme title and then the time it is showing.

So I might be watching BBC breakfast News which transmits between 0600 and 0800 in the morning (BST). Say it is 08:15

When I look at the program info on screen it will show BBC1, 'Inside Story' and 08:00 to 08:30. The channel and programme duration are correct, but this program title will in fact be showing at 1900 for half an hour.

Problem is, this might affect a recording. I.e if I wanted to record the programme Inside Story, would the recording start at 08:00 and run for half an hour. If it does then I would get the news programme instead!

Have tried loading and re-loading programme listings, but it has no effect on the problem. Grateful for any advice that can come my way.

2. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Hmm.. I have no experience with the Happauge TV tuner unfortunately. :(

3. bluesman737

bluesman737 Newbie

Hi Dr Wong

Not sure the problem is with the Happauge tuner as the programme listings download as an option within the Windows Media Center. Accepting that as true would Microsoft be worht trying or should I get in touch with Hauppauge?

4. Adrian Wong

Hmm.. I'm feeling around blindly here, but can you check if you installed the latest Hauppage TV tuner driver and utility? :think:

5. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Does the Happauge TV tuner come with the Acer computer or did you buy it on your own? :think:

6. bluesman737

bluesman737 Newbie

Dashken

The tuner was inside the box whan I bought it. I can't open the box to look or check anything as it's under warranty! Note that the programmes information is still wrong. I think I could ake it if the times shown at least matched the times on which the programme it is quoiting will actually be showing. But it's not. It's even as if the programmes are calculated to something like Pacific time and there shoud be an offset to re-calculate it which is missing. Know it sounds rubbish, but how else can you explan this? Will look to check the Haupagge tuner driver in th meantime.

7. Adrian Wong

Hmm.. You set the correct timezone and all, right?

BTW, did you use the latest driver for the TV tuner? You can download it from Hauppage or your vendor.

8. jomuj

jomuj Official BOG Supporter!

Adrian might be on to something, maybe the device itself has a default time zone? In that case it might be burried within layers of settings menu's? Try and check all the settings and see if there's anything.

But then again this is just a guess. =/

9. bluesman737

bluesman737 Newbie

Spot on Dr Wong

Though the desktop time and date were showing correctly for my time zone (GMT) - when I right clicked the digital clock in the system tray and checked time zone it was still set to Pacific time!!!! Changed that, altered the clock when it applied the offset again and bingo everything now ok.....

Can only think that someone at the dealership pre sales altered the clock and left the time zone!!! I set the timezone within Media Center but this clearly was not enough.

Note that got the advice from UK support desk for Hauppage. Why isn't every support utility like this? They were excellent. Even sorted out why some channels did not have a programme guide!!!! Helped me point the card at a more powerful TV transmitter which was 60 miles away, but 20 times more powerful than my local TV Mast which is about 6 miles away.

All now very sunny and my faith in IT support restored. Thanks for all your posts - it's good to know that there is excellent support amongst the Users.....

10. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

Fortunately you rectified this problem. It's so fun to have a problem solved. Also, be reminded that those system clock are quite funny - they have the DST and the extra time zone settings. :mrgreen:

11. Adrian Wong

Wow.. That's great news! :thumb: :beer: