A recommendation for domain hosts?

Discussion in 'Internet & Networking' started by Eldanor, Oct 16, 2007.

1. Eldanor

Eldanor Newbie

Hmmm... how should i start... i just wanna have a website for fun by fun i mean for domestic purposes, what are some webhosts that you people suggest me to choose? bandwidth usage wouldnt be really high, i plan to let the website keep itself alive by running on a little of google ads is that possible?

2. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

There are a few FREE webhosts (like byethost.com), but be sure to check out their limitations. Some may offer unlimited bandwidth but limit IIS connections.

Yeah, of course, it's no problem running Google ads at all.

3. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

I'm a proud user of byethost, very excellant customer service

bandwidth limit is quite high, just that you need to configure the error 404 pages if not, it will redirect to some ads site. it can be done by modifying the .htdocs file.

my site is hosted at Kar Hoe's Blog - Home, i signed up for redirection service using iframe from Free URL Redirection, No Ads! Short Free Domain Name (you.co.nr) . so my site is now Kar Hoe - Blog

They don't force their own ads, they you can have phpmail function enabled by sending them a copy of your ID, library card will do.

They also have instant script installer for any system, wordpress, mambo, joomla, you name it, so no need to upload those files via FTP ( their FTP is slow )

4. Eldanor

Eldanor Newbie

but i want a webbie like myname.com .. .not myname.yourwebbie.com ... how much would in be, in malaysian ringgit that is

5. Adrian Wong

Should not be a problem actually. Look at how karhoe did the URL redirection, albeit you will have to live with yourname.co.nr.

6. Eldanor

Eldanor Newbie

lol sorry for being fussy.... sorry sorry sorry but i want... the... umm .com or .net or .org thats all... =D sry sry lol! how much you think it might be for a month a year or so?

7. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

Without .my it's very cheap, and there are many cheap hosting, as low as 3USD per month including free domain, so its around 30-40USD per year, and those server can host around 10 domains per account, so you can actually split it among your frens, so it might cost around 3-4USD per person per year, but dont forget, for every additional domain, usually its 10USD

8. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

Well, not necessary, whenever I feel like getting a paid domain, I just have to put a notice on karhoe.co.nr to redirect people to new hosting. But I don't really get that many visitors who visit my sponsors.

approx 150 per day, juz came to read one of my guide, then they juz leave like that

9. Adrian Wong

Yup, of course, you can do that too. :)

10. Eldanor

Eldanor Newbie

o.... not that expensive or not that cheap either thx guys

11. Adrian Wong

You can always get free hosting if you are willing to put up with some ads. :think:

You can also add your own ads, of course.