Samsung SGH-L760 Mobile Phone User Logs

Discussion in 'Notebooks & Mobile Devices' started by rusty, Oct 21, 2007.

1. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

What was the problem? Weak speaker? Or something wrong with the audio output to the earphones?

2. goldfries

goldfries www.goldfries.com

speaker is weak. sound output OK la.

3G heats up the phone real quick and drains battery fast.

I don't like the NetFront browser, can't even render CSS / XHTML properly.

eh what else. Oh I finally found out how to re-create the UNLOCK bug. now if only i could film it, gotta prepare my S7000.

ok what else. Er, battery I could go on for 2 - 3 days before the next recharge.

The thing is the phone is rather unforgiving when it comes to low-battery. Once it starts detecting low-batt it keeps warning you and it won't be long before it dies.

3. marc

marc Team Tech ARP

playing through the earphones or through the built-in speaker?

4. rusty

rusty Newbie

Music test
    The first test i did was external speaker test (which i've reported about it a few post back). Music chosen was of high treble nature (Infernal Affairs 1: Chinese opera, sry don't know the name). Tested the SHG-L760 against K750i and W810i.
    result:
    W810i: Loudest, Crisp clear sound
    K750i: Louder, Crisp clear sound
    SGH-L760: acceptable, Crisp clear sound

I then test that same song with the headphones provided, sounds superb, nice sound stage. didn't bother a head to head comparison, since i was sold, then.

After getting the 2gb micro SD, tested software provided (media center) and music playback again. Sad to say that media transfer is dreadfully slow as compared to my SE phone (USB transfer) and that it has limited support for long file name. every time when an MP3 has more than a certain characters (sry, didn't count) a mini window will popup and prompt an alternative, shorter name. I do find this annoying since i don't face such problem with my K750. maybe i'll try again using file manager instead.

back to music testing...

music uploaded:
    Guano Apes: Open Your Eyes (my favorite song)
    Gunther Pleasure Man Album
    Ayumi Hamasaki Cyber Trance Album

Do note that these music has high bass. And personally, i feel that Guano Apes: Open Your Eyes as the sissiest of them all in terms of bass in their music.

Upon pressing the play button, i grew sick of those songs almost instantly. The songs sounded really flat. There's no bass!!! And worse still, there's no equalizer! SO, there's no way i could ever play the song the way it's meant to be. Tested with headphones.
    Loud speaker mode also the same, so it's the software. Even the K750i which is not even a walkman phone has an equalizer and able to play those songs perfectly.

guess i can start clearing out that memory card.

5. marc

marc Team Tech ARP

Ahh. This is interesting. Mixed opinions regarding the sound quality. :D

This is what blogger skycrewz had to say about the L760's sound quality:
    » Samsung-Tech ARP :: SkyCrewz Network : Simply The Best! Macam-macam ada! Lawak, Borak, Artikel Menarik, Teknologi Terkini, Gosip Artis, Games, Anime, Music, Software dan Hardware

Quote:
    Quote (translated to English by me):

6. rusty

rusty Newbie

well, if it's a high treble song that he tested (like what i did during the first test) then i'll say it's damn good. the problem now that i face is that it lacks bass. and i doubt that it can be better then the W series since W series comes with superbass(TM) thingy that makes dance/club music sound even better.

7. marc

marc Team Tech ARP

Ahh. So is it fair to say that the Samsung and W-series each have pros and cons?
    - Samsung: Good treble
    - Sony Ericsson: Good bass

In conclusion, both Samsung and W-series have sound quality that are on par with one another. One for clarity-lovers, one for bassheads. :beer:

If only I could get such sound quality (be it good bass or treble) on my Nokias... :wall:

8. rusty

rusty Newbie

yeah, that probably sums it up.

9. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

W810 and K750 should have the same hardware, no? It's probably due to firmware if it really sounded different.

W880 is a completely different phone too.

10. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

Yup. same internals. difference probably only by the location of the speakers and perhaps speaker type. everything else is just firmware difference.

11. goldfries

it's like that la because we're don't come with same ears. :)

12. goldfries

ok the SMS is ridiculous.

I have to press 0 soooooooo many times to reach '0'. i get to see rarely used symbols like < and > and even GBP and Yen before reaching 0.

and where da heck is ( and ) ?

13. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Tried holding "0" for a few seconds?

14. rusty

rusty Newbie

why don't use T9 input?

1 --> . , - ? ! ' @ : ; /

and as for the numeric thing, just press and hold the number you want. it's much faster then scrolling.

15. Adrian Wong

Samsung seems to have two different design teams, each using a different SMS system.

16. goldfries

didn't know about that. my previous phone i reach 0 in 2 presses, which clearly beats having to hold it for a few seconds.

still that doesn't matter, IMO the 0 should be placed in priority over the rest of the symbols that are not commonly used.

i use both T9 and non-T9.

and my question remains : where's the "(" and ")"?

17. Adrian Wong

I agree but this is a problem even for Dopod phones. In a Dopod, the 0 is not given priority. You have to switch to Numbers. Only then is it easy to type 0.

In fact, now I find myself switching to Numbers whenever I want to type 0. :(

18. rusty

rusty Newbie

press the right [--] button and the following list appears
    1. pinyin
    2. S stroke
    3. T stroke
    4. numeric
    5. Symbols <--Choose This
    6. T9
    7. ABC

then there will be 9 boxes
    [ ][ ][ ]
    [ ][ ][ ]
    [ ][ ][ ]

Use the D-pad to highlight the marked box below
    [ ][ ][X]
    [ ][ ][ ]
    [ ][ ][ ]

1 = (
    2 = )

personally, i feel this symbol system quite user friendly, better then the K750 that i used. personal preference.

19. goldfries

ah i didn't know the T9 Eng button could do that (sorry, i don't RTFM. was it mentioned in the manual? :p)

but the thing is this............

if i want to have a : and ) for a smiley or = and ) for another smiley, i have to go through the symbols just to do it.

just ridiculous. all the other rarely used symbols are already on the range found in 0.

*anyway the SE symbol system isn't bad either.

20. rusty

rusty Newbie

the T9 automatically recognize smileys press 1 3 times and you'll get :)
    then press 0 to shuffle to :( or ...