Overclocking the GA-X38-DQ6 MB

Discussion in 'Processors, Motherboards & Memory' started by cma6j, Nov 16, 2007.

1. cma6j

cma6j Newbie

I have a new Intel quad-core system Q6000 GO stepping, watercooled. CPU stock speed is 2.4 Ghz. I've been able to get the FSB up to 385 MHz x 9 = 3.465 GHz. But at 390 MHz the FSB eventually causes problems in my stress test. (My temperatures are under good control).
    I have the CPU voltage control up from stock of 1.30 V to 1.40 volt, System Memory Multiplier at 2.66. (I have 4 Gig of high quality RAM OCZ 1150 MHz DDR2--PC1150.)
    FSB OverVoltage control is at +0.10V; G(MCH) OverVoltage at +0.05.
    I can get into Windows and run my stress test, sometimes for 20 minutes, but then Windows shuts down the app. Other times, on moving the mouse, I get a black screen and reboot, and so have to go back to 385 FSB.
    From what I have read, 3.8 GHz CPU speed should be doable, e.g., with a fixed 9 X multiplier, I should be able to get the FSB up to aobut 422 MHz.
    Any suggestions?

2. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

this board is definitely capable of hitting min 430mhz without any voltage adjustment. thats for sure.

but as you are running 4g, things are trickier here. in fact it seems like a chipset issue as it's much harder to run 4g on x38 than P35.

trying to set your memory setting to "option 2". No turbo/extreme. just get the memory to run at "normal".

3. cma6j

cma6j Newbie

Memory setting on GA-X38-DQ6

Thanks, ZuePhok, greatly appreciated. I looked in the BIOS' MIT settings and could not find which memory setting you are referring to.
    Best, CMA

4. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

press ctrl+F1 to get the hidden configuration

5. cma6j

cma6j Newbie

Memory setting on GA-X38-DQ6

I pressed ctrl+F1 and got the hidden configs, but have no idea which line setting you are referring to.
    CMA

6. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

High Speed DRAM DLL Settings: Option 1

something liek that... cant remember the exact option name

drop all your voltage options to auto. except your CPU.

on auto this board definitely can hit anything above 430...
    the last i tried, on auto, CPU at stockvoltage i hit 470 for quad, and 510 for dual.

7. cma6j

cma6j Newbie

High Speed DRAM DDL

Thanks, ZuePhok.
    I could not find "High Speed DRAM DLL." The closest I could find was "DRAM Timing Selectable" but that had only two choices: Auto and Manual.
    So I still can't find the magic setting that will solve my problem.
    If you find the actual setting, I would appreciate it.
    CMA