Thermalright heatpipe madness!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Overclocking, Cooling & Modding' started by ianho, Sep 23, 2007.

1. ianho

ianho Newbie

Not only huge drop in temps. HUGE performance too. With all that cooling ability keeping my rig cool as a cucumber, I can safely benchmark without worrying about temps at all. My load temps while running 3DM06 was only 61C during the gfx tests. N here's what I managed to get in 3DM06 with the help of all the fantastic Thermalright goodies. 18044 marks in 3DM06. KING of the LYN 3DM06 rankings. :wicked: :wicked: :wicked:

[​IMG]

2. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy Pickin' Da Gitfiddle

Some really good cooling there ianho looks sharp and seems to perform well.

Have a few questions / observations regarding your Viddy cooler. As I am writing an article on modifications I have had to make to make the Accelero S1 regulator sinks fit properly I have noted a few weaknesses and characteristics of different coolers including mine.

The first one I mentioned above and also on a thread to a member on another board using a this cooler.
    ::: Zalman :::

On that cooler there are no sinks for the regulators only the ram. I see on yours there are more but if you look at the bottom of your stock cooler there is a spot of thermal paste on the far right. That is where your stock cooler provided coverage for those regulators and your cooler kit didn't. I would suggest you do what he did and pick up a ram sink or two and attach them with Arctic Silver Thermal adhesive or equivalent every little bit helps. Second observation I made on this cooler and the other is coverage of the main heatsink and how it draws air effectively from the other sinks mounted on the other components. Here is a piccy of the accelero with the modded regulator sinks and showing the coverage of the main heatsink.

[​IMG]

The other thing I noted with mine is backside heat on the card there are coolers specific to this but I added a couple of 120mm arctic cooling fans to the front of the case. In your rig not sure if thats an issue you have more copper and aluminum in there than a machine shop lol. Stock idle for the GPU is 67C .... stock idle for the Accelero with the turbo module is 49C. I have to run more stress tests here but so far I haven't been able to make the core go to more than 52C.

Idle temps attached and the cooler using the stock Sapphire fan assembly for now. Will post up when I receive the turbo kit and finish the article. Interested in your feedback and AWESOME 3dmark6 score .. Cheers :D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 19, 2007
  3. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Is this heatsink designed to be used on 8800 series?

4. Mac Daddy

No its not and one of the reasons for my post. The 8800 platform is very strong and I feel there should be a better cooler out there for it ......

5. ianho

ianho Newbie

I dont understand which part ur talkin about. Can u show a pic of the naked 8800GTX n the part that's not covered by my TR ramsinks? Thanks.

Edit: I just brought out my stock heatsink to have a look. There are 17 spots where the stock white thermal tape covers n all 17 spots r covered with the ramsinks that Thermalright provided with the kit. There are no missed spots. I noticed ur pic with the Accellero is of a 8800GT? Mine is 8800GTX, mebe that's y u thought I missed out on a spot?

Last edited: Nov 19, 2007
  6. Mac Daddy

On the Accelero its an X1950 just showed it to show the coverage of the main heatsink. On the sinks on your board I think I looked at it wrong it looked like the stock sink covered two regulators on the end of the board. This cooler does look a lot better than the Zalman one. Still might be an idea to put a ramsink on those regulators every little bit helps .. Cheers :D

[​IMG]

7. Chai

No after market coolers for 8800 covers that regulator.

8. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

Zalman has one... not sure if it's sold seperately or included with the copper heatsink.

::: Zalman :::

9. ianho

ianho Newbie

Woooooo. I've got sum nice blue aluminum Coolermaster chipset sinks. I'll be sure to cover them as soon as I have time to take the cards out from the rig.

10. Mac Daddy

Cool thats actually what the other guy did with the Zalman cooler although like I mentioned all it had was the ram sinks nothing else .. your cooler kit is much better but sometimes little things are missed :)

One of the reasons I am working on a review for my Accelero S1 mod for this Sapphire X1950 pro 512 is because it doesn't work out of the box and it takes 8 cuts with a hacksaw to make the provided regulator sink and heat spreader work. That will be in the article. The second is because this guy did the same mod I did with the same card and left the regulator sinks off his card completely :confused:

What kind of attitude is this ?

Source:
    BurnOutPC.com - Articles

11. Chai

12. Mac Daddy

Nope it doesn't Chai I originally mistook the thermal paste mark on the far right hand side as covering those regulators. Even though they aren't covered in the cooler package I still think its a good idea to cover them .... as ianho mentioned with ram sinks that should work and might be an idea for the cooler .. can't hurt :)

13. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

Oops my bad :p Didn't realize you guys were talking about the two voltage regulators until I saw the picture :haha:

Last edited: Nov 20, 2007
  14. Chai

I think it doesn't really matter. With coolers like the AC and Thermalright using a cooling fan, the regulators should be sufficiently cooled.

15. ianho

ianho Newbie

Ya, the fact that the stock 8800GTX cooler doesn't cover means they shudn need to be cooled. I've been running my cards at 650/1500/1000 on the HR03 Plus without probs.

But......... heck, I've got sum nice blue CM sinks n I'm gonna stick them on just for the looks. :lol:

16. Mac Daddy

The stock cooler wasn't designed for overclocking. Not everything is perfect out of the box and your mod works great just making some observations. See what happens :)

Actually if you look at the Thermalright cooler pictured above the sinks on the right hand side aren't even fully covered by the main sink and therefore are not taking full benefit of the cooling fan on it. Those regulators uncovered see nothing as far as cooling and if your increasing your core and ram settings they are going to run hotter. Thats why I pictured the Accelero cooler on the X1950 ... its provides coverage to all the sinks. No design is perfect but feedback helps improve them .. just because its in a package doesn't mean its carved in stone :D

17. ianho

ianho Newbie

Yeah I'm gonna stick them on anyways. The more the merrier. I'm always happy to make my things run cooler. :thumb:

18. Mac Daddy

Cool let us know if it makes a difference never hurts to experiment :mrgreen:

I have an older system but added a few little things seriously looking for an upgrade next year its an old Prescott 2.8 @3.2 but added some OCZ performance RAM, a CPU cooler and a Corsair HX520 PSU helps a bit for now.

A quick question while on that topic Ianho. I noticed your Ram sinks how do they perform? Reason I ask is OCZ has a cooler as well that would fit mine and because of the board layout I have tons of room for it. Pretty cheap as well ... any thoughts ?

Canada Computers - Cooling > Chipset/Memory : OCZ XTC Cooler - Cools DDR1/DDR2 Memory Modules, 2x60mm Fans, Blue LEDs, Aluminum (OCZTXTCC).

19. graysky

graysky ARP Reviewer

ianho - what o/s are you running (vista) and what is that crazy looking bar on the bottom of your screen?

20. ianho

ianho Newbie

Bar? U mean the bar with the shortcut icons in it? That's called Objectdock. It makes a shortcut bar there that works just like the Apple OS. I'm on Vista for daily use. My benchmarks are run on XP though. I haf a spare HDD with XP Pro SP2 that's totally bare n just meant for benchies.