Cloned cats that glow in the dark

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Papercut, Dec 15, 2007.

1. Papercut

Papercut Newbie

Attached Files:

2. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Ahh.. Saw them on CNN. :mrgreen:

Well, they claim it can help medicine... but I just hope it doesn't end up being used to create glow-in-the-dark pets... :think:

3. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

:naughty: human playing god again :naughty:

4. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy Pickin' Da Gitfiddle

Agreed !! :shock:

5. Adrian Wong

Well, it can be said that God gave us the gifts of thought and inquisitiveness. Many also believe that we were made in God's image. So, playing God is natural thing to do. ;)

I'm personally for the advancement of science and mankind. I just hope it goes beyond the frivolity of fancy pets. :D

6. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

+2

I think its jacked up that they 'mod' living creatures like that.

I don't believe we were made in god's image since a God is testament to 'perfection' (regardless of religion) and we quite frankly are f*cked up...

Perfection cannot be made by imperfect beings.

And me being a great cat lover, its pretty jacked up even more. :mad:

Now when will they make pink goats?

Last edited: Dec 16, 2007
  7. zy

more like, humans will color their babies too ? red color.. blue color.. green color....

8. pyroboy1911

pyroboy1911 Newbie

Truth to be told, i don't think God gave us the power to think to this extend. According to the Bible, Adam and Eve was tempted to eat the forbidden fruit, which gave them the knowledge (Does the Quran have the same text?) . So basically human were tricked into having knowledge. But i do believe we wre made from the image of God, but for some reasons, or because of sins (from the religious point of view), we "evolve" and become f*cked up, like u said. :haha:

IMO, cloning body parts like hearts, liver and such to save lives is good, but what's the point in making a cat glow in the dark? Dont these scientists have better things to do? I would rather they spend more time researching on diseases that cant be cure at the moment.

9. Adrian Wong

Nah, that's extreme la... Would you want to do that???

10. Adrian Wong

Guys, if you cannot read sarcasm, then I really have nothing to say. :haha:

But it's nice to play the devil's advocate once in a while so...

Frankly, I won't even dare to presume I know what God had in mind for us when He made us. So, I don't know why He gave us our ability to think. Certainly, He did not give us any specific instructions. :haha:

But I personally believe that knowledge is moral-less by nature. It is the USE of knowledge, what we decide to do with the knowledge, that is where our morality comes into question. Are we using it for good.. or evil? Even then, there are a lot of gray areas where potential good is tempered by the necessity for "less-moral" methods. And vice versa.

For example, Nazi scientists tortured and killed thousands of Jews and Eastern Europeans in grossly unethical scientific experiments. Even by the loosest scientific morality, what they did was morally reprehensible. However, that didn't stop our Allied scientists from using their research data, which some consider morally-suspect because of the source.

As for the glow-in-the-dark cats, I must say I personally thought it was a ridiculous waste of research time and effort UNTIL they said that it was really a showcase and a test of their ability to splice genes into clones. In other words, this is merely a technology test of genetic engineering with potential application in medicine, not only for humans but also cats.

As for the morality of their actions, it's a subject for active debate, I think. :twisted:

Those for it will say that such a test is necessary to ensure safer application of genetic engineering. Those against it will say that it's an abomination and against nature. Etc, etc. :)

11. zy

who knows? :crazy: there is crazy people around us.

12. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy Pickin' Da Gitfiddle

Remember the movie "The Fly" Bro ?

Don't mess with Mother Nature :dance:

13. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

I'm all for the cloning of body parts... but this, hmm... :think:

14. Adrian Wong

Well, what's crazy is some people in China checking for sex of the baby and aborting it if it's female. :nuts:

Hmm.. That's a good example of technology being misused. :mad: