Migrating to Australia - Thoughts & Advice?

Discussion in 'Adrian Wong' started by Adrian Wong, Dec 26, 2007.

1. pyroboy1911

pyroboy1911 Newbie

quite populated, happening place, i guess...

2. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

What about those biomedical and electric/electronic engineers? :)

3. Papercut

Papercut Newbie

Yeah, tax is pretty high in Australia. See here for rates, etc.

Oh and Australian flies can be quite annoying in summer :p
    They will come out in droves and go straight for your face.

4. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

in return, you get better living standard.

my parent's doc told me in 08, there will be $ hikes for certain medications simply because the government is no longer capable of subsidizing it. guess what came into my mind upon hearing that? the money BN spent on the angkasawan :cry: :cry:

Najib: Opposition would bankrupt the country over fuel subsidy
    3 years!!!!?? :shock:

5. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

I know the living standard is better, but Adrian is asking for 'disadvantages'.

I kinda agree with him about the fuel subsidy, but he's probably bullshitting about the 2011. :haha:

6. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Isn't that better? :mrgreen:

7. Adrian Wong

Hmm.. Starts at 15% after just AUS$ 6K annual income, to 40-45%. That's really high. :think:

But I heard that the benefits and tax rebates/refunds are quite significant and can more than make up for the high tax. :think:

8. Adrian Wong

That's because the government has been running out of money. DYKT : Since 2007, the government has begun insisting that companies MUST predict their FUTURE profits and pay tax for those future profits in advance? That's how poor our government is. :mad:

9. pyroboy1911

pyroboy1911 Newbie

i tot u're looking for not so quiet not so busy place? :haha:

10. Papercut

Papercut Newbie

Yeah there are a lot of things that are tax deductible, you need a good accountant to help you find all the loopholes. And yes, benefits are pretty good for PRs/citizens.

11. Adrian Wong

From what I heard, even the busiest spot in Australia is considered sedentary in Malaysia! :haha: :haha:

Well, when I think about it, I'm really looking for a place with more political security, better living standards and definitely LESS traffic. Good environmental conditions are a definite plus.

12. Adrian Wong

One thing though. There seems to be double-taxation? :think:

From what I read at that site, as a resident (even a temporary one), you have to pay that tax on ALL your income, even those earned overseas. This would include Malaysian income, which is already taxed by the Malaysian government. :think:

I don't think Malaysia has a tax treaty or free trade agreement with Australia. Even the US-Malaysia FTA has not materialized after so many years of negotiations. The key sticky issue seems to be Bumiputra rights, albeit mainly for their own benefit.

13. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

I heard that the Australia's has a problem in racism - some of the dwellers there really dislike foreigners. :shock:

14. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy Pickin' Da Gitfiddle

Nah we all put up with Americans though .. Oops did I say to much :D

15. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

IMO it doesn't matter... it's the same everywhere.

16. Adrian Wong

Well, I heard that about New Zealand too. But like it or not, there are racists everywhere.

However, I think that this is far less of a problem than institutionalized racism like what's being practised here in Malaysia.

At least in Australia and I dare say, in the US, you can fight back against racism legally. In Malaysia, you can't... because the right to be racist is ingrained WITHIN the Constitution. It's a disgrace.

17. pyroboy1911

pyroboy1911 Newbie

those ppl arent racist like the way Malaysians are. Malaysians are racist because the ethnics cant stand each other's presence, or different believes and traditions. They are more.....anti-foreigners, coz we came into their country, fight with them for working opportunities and etc. they dun have special rights, u know..:whistle: :whistle:

18. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

LOL! Like wise. :p

You guys put up with one of us. We put up with all of you. :wicked:

LMAO! jking... :p

19. Adrian Wong

Yup, I know. Can't blame them. I think we feel the same way about Indonesians coming over. :haha: :haha:

20. ToyotaFreak

ToyotaFreak Just Started

*Gets biased* I support the Canucks! :thumb:

*Runs away*