Logitech MX510 mod

Discussion in 'Overclocking, Cooling & Modding' started by ianho, Jan 15, 2008.

1. ianho

ianho Newbie

Been wanting to do this for the longest time but didn't haf time. Here it is finally. This is a Logitech MX510 which I bought 4 years ago. It's still a fantastic mouse n I love it. I used it for my laptop last time. I need a mouse for my 2nd rig now so I decided to refurbish this good ol MX510. For some reason Logitech loves coating the products in a black rubbery layer, I hate it coz it always peels off n attracts dust like a magnet. That by itself is already annoying enuf but because the MX510 is so old, the rubbery layer has begun to sorta melt. It has become sticky n gooey. Dust sticks to it n cant be wiped off. It also leaves a sticky gooey residue on ur hand after using it.

So..................... I decided to give the mouse a nice bath n sum new clothes for the new year. Here's a few pics of just how horrible the mouse has become after 4 years.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Horrible eh? Those r the pics I took last night b4 dismantling n cleaning the mse. Will update again later. I'm in the middle of painting it now.

2. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Wow...another nice bath? I have MX518 to clean here.

3. ianho

ianho Newbie

LOL. This time it's a little more involved. No more swirling in a tub magic.

Wokeh here come the pics. To get to the screws so u can open the mouse up, u need to peel off the stickers underneath.

[​IMG]

Slaughtering the mouse.

[​IMG]

All the parts dismantled. Time to remove that horrible sticky gooey stuff from the parts.

[​IMG]

After removing the paint, got down to sanding it to a fine finish. I kinda like this look. I almost put the mse back just like that coz it kinda looked nice to me with a rugged look.

[​IMG]

Painting timeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. I oni took pics after all is done coz it's very messy with the fine mist flying everywhere. Dont wanna damage my camera with all that dust. Here's how it looks now. Leaving it on the hanger to dry. Will reassemble everything after teh paint is dry. Most likely 2nite.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Will post up the complete mouse 2nite.

4. ianho

ianho Newbie

Here's the remaining pics I just uploaded.

All the parts ready for reassembly.

[​IMG]

Completed mouse from different angles.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My MX510 has been renewed n ready for more abuse. Hopefully for another 4 more years. :)

5. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

Nice :mrgreen:

The paint on my MX518's Logitech logo is 50% faded already :(

6. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Wow. Do you guys chew on it or something? I gamed VERY heavily on my MX510 but I have none of that issues (peeling, wear on the side, etc.) I retired it after 4 years of pretty intense gaming.

The only thing is the mouse feet are totally gone. LOL!

7. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Sweet paint job! :thumb: :thumb:

8. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Some of those scratches could be due to finger nails. But my G5 and MX518 almost look perfect as of now too...

9. ianho

ianho Newbie

I think it cud b due to a reaction with my fabric msepad. Coz it has a rubber backing on the back of the pad. Mebe it's a reaction between mse n pad that makes the rubber coating melt. I've noticed plastic things reacting when I store in plastic bags. After sometime, the plastic stuff gets all melted. Coz the MX510 was ok for 3 years while I was using it on a Func1030 pad.

Edit: Actually I just realised my new G9 has suffered the same fate. The rubber coated cover has started to peel as well. Using the same Corepad Eyepad as the MX510.

10. Adrian Wong

BTW, how did you remove the rubber coating? My Microsoft mouse has the same problem. :mad:

11. ianho

ianho Newbie

Lotsa rubbidy rub rub with sandpaper.

12. Adrian Wong

Oh, I thought you used some kind of solution to rub it off. :D

13. ianho

ianho Newbie

LOL. It's called Ian's black magic potion.

14. Majormaggot

Majormaggot Newbie

i must say i've had my mx510 for about just as long and have no of the problems, well except the paint around the logitech logo is scratched off here and there. But damn that paint job is swheet!

btw, anyone know where i can find those little pads/slides on the under side of the mouse?? couple of mine are MIA.