A question on local Internet Service Providers

Discussion in 'Internet & Networking' started by diaboluz666, Jan 18, 2008.

1. diaboluz666

diaboluz666 Newbie

Would it be ethical for me to discuss/ask about which broadband service provider would be a good/stable one?

Streamyx has been around for quite a while and probably the most stable around, IMO. The thing is, a land line is required, meaning there are rental, contracts and so on, rite. I might be shifting places sometime. It'd be great to have a wireless broadband connection, you know what I'm saying. I read and heard a lot of bad things about Maxis' service/product.

Apart from them, which provider would be a choice? What say you?

2. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Ethical? Why not?

But frankly, there's not much to discuss because TM controls the last mile. So price and quality of connection is essentially determined by them. :(

I'm personally waiting for WiMax. I hear that TM is actively looking to implement it in Sabah & Sarawak. Hopefully over here in Peninsular Malaysia soon. :pray:

3. elton

elton WhAtSuPdOc

Ya.. you may be like check out your new area broadband wireless coverage availability...and the speed for it is not constance....:mad:

I am having Maxis wireless broadband here... using HSDPA network...so some time you will face it is slow and so far no disconnect....I will say mainly depend on area :p

check out celcom and jaring too

4. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

Redtone is going to implement WiMax in Sabah and Sarawak as they have license for that region.

Overhere, Packet1 is starting to implement it already as well as a subsidary company under YTL.

5. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

So far, for me... Streamyx is still the one. But I hope there are more good/affordable ones popping up soon. :pray:

6. peaz

Maxis 3G broadband is crap too. if they can't even get Edge/GPRS right... what more 3G. sigh.

7. wiiz

wiiz Just Started

the thing is, real competition is not allowed in malaysia.
    that's why for broadband we only have tmnet, paytv: astro (i hate it-but got no other alternative), telco:maxis/celcom/digi, which just complement each other. heck, even free tv only have rtm and media prima families.

8. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

If there are promising ones cropping up, one of the giants will eat it up in no time. :mrgreen: Like Maxis on 016 and TM on 019. :haha:

9. Adrian Wong

Yeah, this is "Malaysia Boleh". :roll:

Just look at what happened. TM suffered yet another submarine cable problem on Jan. 22. My Internet connection was down for a full day and half. After that, it was obvious that they were connecting and disconnecting the international link for us several hours at a time. :roll:

They only informed me of this development when I called them up. They didn't even bother to e-mail everyone about this problem or post it up on TM's website. Their reason? TM's website was also affected. However, that's bullshit... cause I have no problem accessing their website.

10. belikethat

belikethat Just Started

it will take years to implement wimax and i bet it gonna be pricey too.. and the speed don`t be top notch either :p

11. Adrian Wong

I heard they are rushing it for Sabah and Sarawak. Probably looking to field some trial runs (at least) in 2008.

12. diaboluz666

diaboluz666 Newbie

Bummer, rite...

*sigh* I guess I'm pretty much stuck with streamyx, then.. A friend of mine was stuck with paying bills for a few months without even having any service. TM insisted that he is connected to their broadband service. I think that's utter BS! You are right about monopolies. Doesn't help the consumer at all. :wall: I need to have broadband connection as I'm trying to start some freelance jobs at home. So, I'm going to do a little more research (coverage areas, pricing) and get connected ASAP.

13. Adrian Wong

Really not much of a choice. If you are in a TM area, you have to get Streamyx. But if your area with under Maxis, it's even worse... you have to use their broadband solution which is understandably not as good or cheap.

14. diaboluz666

diaboluz666 Newbie

Yeah, I hear you. Ok, then. I'll see if my place is covered by streamyx. Thanks again.

15. Adrian Wong

No problem. :)

16. peaz

heard from my brother that one of his friends has been fined RM700 by TMNut for downloading stuffs. not sure of the details though. Anyone else heard of similar stories?

17. Adrian Wong

Huh? That's quite unlikely. TM has no right or reason to fine anyone for downloading. :think:

18. belikethat

belikethat Just Started

u need to be subscribe for at least min 1 year, even if u don`t use it.. which is probably the case here.

19. Adrian Wong

Yeah, that could be the reason. You have to check the terms and conditions when you register. Sometimes, they insist on a 2-year contract.

In that case, you will be forced to pay for the full two years even if they cannot deliver the connectivity to you. Of course, you can always ask for a rebate... but that's up to your own effort. They sure aren't going to just give it to you. :D

20. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Yup, I read it in LYN. Not sure how true is it.