Utility in Windows to set CPU multiplier and voltage?

Discussion in 'Overclocking, Cooling & Modding' started by Motoman, Feb 1, 2008.

1. Motoman

Motoman Newbie

Aside from CPUMSR, which I can't quite get to work the way I want it to, does anyone know of any utilities for Windows XP that will allow you to set the multiplier and voltage for a cpu...such as for a mobile CPU?

2. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

3. Motoman

Motoman Newbie

Thanks...but it doesn't seem that can alter the CPU voltage as well...

I built a system with a socket 754 Via chipset mobo and a Turion CPU that I got for $17 brand-new...the mobo recognizes the Turion fine, but it runs it at a multiplier of 4 at 1.0v - it's target is to run at a multiplier of 9 at 1.35v.

CPUMSR can easily set it to run that way, and it's totally stable, but I can't get it to autostart with Windows in an acceptable manner.

4. Adrian Wong

Hmm.. You sure? I could change the CPU voltage on my Pentium M processor.

Hmm.. Your motherboard does not allow you to overclock in the BIOS? :think:

5. Motoman

Motoman Newbie

No...this was a consumer-grade mobo with no such controls in the BIOS.

At any rate, I discovered that I was over-reacting.

Apparently, at boot-up Windows just recognized the Turion CPU at it's lowest-possible speed - 799Mhz. I installed the AMD CPU Info thing, and it showed that the CPU was indeed speeding up to max speed when needed (1.8Ghz) - it's just that the System Properties apparently isn't realtime. It just reported 799Mhz all the time, so I was under the assumption that the CPU was not functioning at full speed ever.

So, crisis averted. Thanks for your help.

6. Adrian Wong

Hey, no problem. :thumb:

7. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

8. werty316

werty316 Newbie

I suggest you do all of your overclocking in your motherboards BIOS as overclocking in windows can have dyer consequences.

9. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Well, most OEMs hide advanced BIOS options, so there's no way to uncover them except from a BIOS flash. But the problem is, where do you get that BIOS? No where... :mrgreen:

10. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

I've been overclocking and underclocking in Windows today via Remote Desktop at work! :shhh:

11. Adrian Wong

Technology at work. :thumb:

Chai also "at work"! :haha: :thumb:

12. Zenphic

Zenphic Newbie