Toshiba to exit HD DVD, end format war-NHK

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Zenphic, Feb 18, 2008.

1. barone

barone Newbie

It took them long enough. Its going to be nice to watch blu-ray movies on my ps3.

2. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Hmm.. I wonder what's going to happen to all those fellas who invested so much money in HD-DVD... :(

3. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

Not to mention, those who bought Xbox 360, well, seems like Sony did it again, making PS3 the cheapest BD player @ RM1400.

They manage to eliminate HD DVD and also Xbox 360. Now that they monopolize the console market, will the price of PS3 go up again?

4. Adrian Wong

That's the problem when there's a lack of competition. Well, I hope not. :D

5. rogue_tomato

rogue_tomato Newbie

Sony HAS NOT eliminated the 360... just the HD-DVD 360 add-on. Rumours of course started that M$ will release a Blu-Ray add-on for the 360, but I can't see that happening... Bill Gates & Co. doesn't want either format to be successful, that way you can give M$ more of your money to download HD content via XBox Live :p

PS3 will not go up in price... in fact, prices can only go down for Blu-Ray players. If Sony wants to make it a successful format, then they must make them more affordable for the mainstream person.

6. Adrian Wong

Yeah, Blu-ray players will get cheaper. But consoles might be a different story, if PS3 becomes the dominant console.

7. rogue_tomato

rogue_tomato Newbie

PS3 still has quite a ways to go to re-claim its former #1 spot... in fact, 360's just dropped $50 in my neck of the woods (Canada). Maybe it's because of the strong Cdn dollar, but still, a price drop is a price drop ;)

That being said, the 360 has a strong installed user base, having a 1 yr head start from the PS3, and the Wii.... is the Wii. It's still hard to find one on the shelf, so need I say more about it?

(I'm not a Sony basher, in fact I currently own the PS1, PS2 & PSP... and my PS3 is currently in transport. Also have a Wii, but not 360 here :( )

8. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

It's only a small step forward for Sony. Long way to go for them. Many are buying PS3 for it's BD abilities, not as a gaming console.

9. rogue_tomato

rogue_tomato Newbie

Hence my post above ;) :p Sony botched the PS3 big time, but they are trying to recover, and doing an ok job (so far)

10. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Not disagreeing with you, just adding my comments. :mrgreen:

11. Zenphic

Zenphic Newbie

The PS3 is also a kickass folding@home machine :thumb:

12. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

they wont increase the price of PS3.. just cut the manufacturing cost.. lol ..

13. goldfries

goldfries www.goldfries.com

well, those who bought it shouldn't known better that they were taking a risk. the Blue-Ray vs HD war wasn't something new.

They took the gamble, too bad la now. Use it as your regular CD / DVD player or something. :)

anyway, Blue-Ray's victory IMO was mainly due to PS3, all PS3 buyer will have a BR player immediately. which helps it enter the market really fast.

I think PS3 sales might boost, now that BR has won the war. However that doesn't mean sales are gonna go up, since PS3 is probably the cheapest BR player available at the moment and with gaming features, whether they use it or not. :D So yeah, quite likely PS3 sales would be that because it's a player, not a game console.

Regardless, Sony still get the $$$.

14. jasperchc

jasperchc Newbie

the price of HD-DVD players now are falling like crazy :haha: all the retailers are trying to get rid of the players from their inventories.

15. 64bit

64bit Newbie

Too bad, I don't think anyone will be "smart" enough to purchase a HD DVD player now which will go without any media support later.

16. goldfries

goldfries www.goldfries.com

hehe. it's like buying a gun where no one produces bullets for it anymore.

so it's a HD capable player that's used for DVD at most. hehe.

17. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

At least for bullets you can smelt/cast your own... :mrgreen:

18. jasperchc

jasperchc Newbie

hmmm, can the content of the Blue-Ray be copied over to HD-DVD? the disc might be incompatible, but what about the content? :think:

19. Zenphic

Zenphic Newbie

there's a HD-DVD to Blu-Ray here: HD-DVD to Blu-Ray. Working Guide :) - Doom9's Forum
    The steps seem rather complex and long, so I guess the content of each media are of different format :shock:

20. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Why would you want to convert one to the other? You would already need both and that kinda defeats the purpose right?