Toshiba to exit HD DVD, end format war-NHK

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Zenphic, Feb 18, 2008.

1. jasperchc

jasperchc Newbie

for those who had already bought HD-DVD player and do not want to spend another $300 on a BD player in the near future. Even if the studios no longer support HD-DVD, wouldnt it be nice if you can watch newer release with your HD-DVD player? get the content in Blue-Ray, convert it to HD-DVD and sell them to those still sticking with HD-DVD.

2. goldfries

goldfries www.goldfries.com

i think what they're exploring are the possible ways to pirate. :)

3. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Well, IMHO, no matter who wins the format war... Blu-Ray/HD-DVD sales will really take off when the pirates succeed in making copies. :D

4. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Thats called holding back the tide.

Do you convert DVDs to VHS (I've heard plenty the other way around though... :mrgreen: )?

5. 64bit

64bit Newbie

Not to mention the encoding process will takes Gigabytes of HDD space and countless CPU processing power

6. rogue_tomato

rogue_tomato Newbie

The only reason now to own a stand-alone HD-DVD player at the moment it to get yourself a quality Toshiba upconverting regular DVD player :p

7. Zenphic

Zenphic Newbie

Aiee, DVD to VHS is too far. Something like DVD to CD (VCD) would make more sense. And lots of people used to do that :thumb:

8. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Regardless its still denial. Prolonging the inevitable.

And why is it too far? Is it not the same concept? Only difference is that VHS and VCDs were still used (not a dead format).

Plus, what are you gonna do when no one makes the discs? I don't really see fresh supplies of Betamax tapes... :mrgreen:

9. Zenphic

Zenphic Newbie

lol but but... both CD and DVDs are round and can be burned via the computer :thumb:
    which makes them much more similar to HD-DVD and Bluray. Anyway, nobody is going to be copying HD-DVD to Bluray, unless they really want to import their library to the other format.

And speaking of VHS', I really shouldnt have bought more than I needed. I still have a dozen of them lying in my basement QQ

10. Adrian Wong

Hmm.. Are they still making VHS tapes? Haven't seen any in quite a while now. :think:

BTW, DYKT Polaroid has just announced they have discontinued the production of all their instant photo films.

11. rogue_tomato

rogue_tomato Newbie

I haven't owned a VHS player for around 5 yrs... :p

12. Zenphic

Zenphic Newbie

I remember seeing some VHS tapes at a small local store. :think:

Polaroid's instant photo films weren't that good anyway, and with digital photos being so cheap nowadays :thumb:

13. Adrian Wong

Apparently, there's still quite a lot of demand for it. Looks like Polaroid is looking to sell off the rights to the technology to any interested party.