3pin 4pin ?

Discussion in 'Overclocking, Cooling & Modding' started by retard, Mar 7, 2008.

1. retard

retard Newbie

Hello guys im kinda new at this .. that is i have newer had a 3pin CPU cooler before but i got one now and i dunno how to plug it in since my mobo has a 4pin connector for the CPU fan so should i just plug it in there or where what how ?

2. Zenphic

Zenphic Newbie

Yup, that shouldn't be a problem to plug a 3pin fan plug into a 4pin motherboard header. The only downside is that you won't be able to enjoy PWM if you had used a 4pin fan, which is fan control via BIOS. Then again, you should be able to control your fan with SpeedFan :thumb:

3. retard

retard Newbie

Thanks mate but witch 3 of the 4 pins do i plug it in ? should i leave the one on the left(up) empty or the one on the right(down) ?

4. Zenphic

Zenphic Newbie

It doesn't matter really. Any fan header can be used to power up the fan. ;)

However, it would be handy to plug it according to its function for easier fan speed monitoring. Look at the fan headers on the motherboard, there should be some small text near it, such as CPU_FAN (fan for the processor), SYS_FAN (fan for the case), AUX_FAN, etc.

5. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

There's only ONE way for you to plug in to the header. If you do it wrongly, you need to break the header first. :mrgreen:

6. Zenphic

Zenphic Newbie

You gotta be pretty angry to break it :lol:

7. graysky

graysky ARP Reviewer

Right you are. I too have the Scythe S-FLEX SFF21F plugged into the MB's CPU Fan power source; the 4th pin isn't connected and the fan functions just fine.

Interesting... my board has a little piece of plastic that more or less mates with the 3-pin power source so you really can't put it on backwards. Have a look for yerself:

[​IMG]

8. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy Pickin' Da Gitfiddle

Yep my Arctic Cooling chassis fans have pigtails that work the same way with 3 pin fan connections. You can also plug a 4 pin connector onto a mobo with 3 pin connectors by observing the same orientation. I had to do it with this ASrock board :)

9. retard

retard Newbie

Thanks guys :) Now that my HSF arrived i can see that you cant plug it in the wrong way :)) Thanks again :)

Cheers.