Heatsink prob...

Discussion in 'Overclocking, Cooling & Modding' started by SkylineRemix, Mar 5, 2008.

1. SkylineRemix

SkylineRemix Newbie

Got a question...

Situation is like this. I opened up my PC casing just now to clean up all the dust collected. I use my flashlight to flash around looking for dust and i noticed that many collected at the heatsink. I tried to rub off and 1 of the 4 locks of the heatsink is loosen. I tried to fixed it back but i don't dare to snap the board into 2. I don't even dare trying to pull out the whole thing because i know it's stuck with the processor. Until then... so far i think 2 out of 4 locks has been loosen. I tried fixing it back and it's okay for now.

I'm not sure if what i did will fry my processor or not because of the thermal paste (there may be a possibility that some came off when i adjust it). As long as it is, i'm scared to turn on my PC for a long time from now. I fear that my processor will burn. What should i do? Should i go to Low Yat again to buy Thermal Paste and "re-stick" again? Is so, how or what can i use to remove the old thermal paste?

2. goldfries

goldfries www.goldfries.com

unnecessary fear there, due to misinformation. :)

you shouldn't worry on this matter. just fire up HWmonitor or whatever temperature monitor you have and look at the temperature of your processor on idle / load and various condition.

in fact, if you use HWmonitor it'll take note of the highest temperature the processor produced.

so what you can do is keep HWmonitor running when you play games. and once you exit, you'll see the peak temp.

and it's not an issue if it overheats either, most board these days come with overheat protection. you could set it in the BIOS, say shutdown at 75c? :)

3. Zenphic

Zenphic Newbie

The heatsink wasn't fully removed from the processor, so the thermal paste should still be in pretty good shape. Fire her up and monitor your temps, while keeping your hand near the power button :thumb:

4. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Some thermal paste might dry up, but if you are not overclocking, and the temperature is bearable, you are fine.

5. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

If you are using Intel (I'm assuming it's the one under your sig), there's nothing to worry about. TM1 will simply kick in when you processor gets too hot and your PC will become very very slow. If it gets worse, TM2 kicks in to further protect the processor itself. It's virtually impossible to fry your processor unless you are doing something really really stupid.

TM1 is a mechanism that inserts idle cycle that stops the processor for a certain amount of time. TM2 further protects the processor by stepping down voltage and clock speed. This is why your PC will get extremely slow if TM1/TM2 activated and you will know that there's something wrong with it's cooling.

If you are experiencing slowdowns, then you will know that you must reapply the thermal paste on your processor.

6. SkylineRemix

SkylineRemix Newbie

i may consider re-apply the thermal paste actually... but then... i got no skill to remove lah... any tips that is useful enough for me?

7. SkylineRemix

SkylineRemix Newbie

oh em.. and ya... i'm using intel..., i didn't OC my system and that's all i think...

goldfries, i apologize if i didn't give enough information or if my info in the 1st post makes you blurred.

8. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

If you are not confident to do it just leave it as it is and see if you are experiencing any slowdowns. Your processor won't fry.

Since you are so worried, download ThrottleWatch or RightMark CPU Clock Utility to check if your processor is throttling.

If TM1 kicks in, you should see spikes in TM1 graph in ThrottleWatch. As for RightMark, go to monitoring, then pay attention to the pink coloured bar, if TM1 kicks in, you should see the pink bar reduced to half, while the red bar should stay at 100% under load. However, if TM2 kicks in both red and pink bars will be reduced to less than half. Otherwise the pink bar should stay 100% full all the time.

To load your processor use Prime95 25.3, run Small FFTs torture test.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2008
  9. goldfries

goldfries www.goldfries.com

it's ok SR, :) just monitor your processor temperature. that's the most important.

it WILL be the determining factor of what you should do next.

10. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

Seriously though, I wouldn't worry about temperature until the processor starts throttling if I'm not overclocking. The processor won't even crash or fry at ~90C, it will just throttle itself down when the temperature reaches the red zone. Besides, you don't really know what is the temperature where your processor actually starts throttling.

11. SkylineRemix

SkylineRemix Newbie

this is what i got...
    i do see spikes in ThrottleWatch.

Attached Files:

12. Majormaggot

Majormaggot Newbie

umm if thats idle temps, then i'm going to go ahead and guess that thats wayyy too high. should be around 40 ish area at idle depending on ur ambient temps. u might want to reapply thermal paste, and seat that cooler too.

13. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Looks like there is no throttling. Temps are a bit high though.

14. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

That is the CPU load graph, you should enable the TM1 graph.

Anyway RightMark says there is no throttling. The pink bar is at 100%. However your processor is idling, you should load it with Prime95.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2008
  15. ChampionLLY

ChampionLLY News Writer

that's pretty high for idle..

our sch's HP com with E6300 runs loaded (Intel thermal analysis) @ 62~64C with aircon around 24C

16. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

The temperature readings in RightMark is totally inaccurate, at least on my E6850.

17. SkylineRemix

SkylineRemix Newbie

i'll see what i can do... maybe it's the dust collected at the heatsink casuing this.

I'm thinking about taking out all the parts of the comp and use a vacumm cleaning at it's highest point to sucks out all the dust collected... Don't know if that could work or not...

18. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy Pickin' Da Gitfiddle

Compressed air is the best way to clean the heatsink of dust blowing it out is better. As for the thermal compound I use methyl hydrate here also alcohol I don't think will harm the CPU or heatsink.

If those temps are idle they are a bit high so I would suggest reapplying thermal paste I use Arctic Silver here and make sure those stupid clips are locked in good and tight. I am not a big fan of them ... Good luck and hope this helps :D

19. Zenphic

Zenphic Newbie

Careful with the vacumm though. I heard it could cause a static discharge or something :doh:

20. SkylineRemix

SkylineRemix Newbie

if i use compress air, won't i be pushing the collected dust back to the heatsink?
    and erm... how much izit for thermal paste and another fan?