How is this o/c?

Discussion in 'Overclocking, Cooling & Modding' started by ChampionLLY, Mar 19, 2008.

1. ChampionLLY

ChampionLLY News Writer

Here's my new toy -- a pair of 3rd hand ram which I bought for S$60 (RM138)

Test Platform:
    Q6600 B3
    P5B-E Plus
    KVR DDR2-800 1Gbx2

550mhz 5-5-5-18 2.30v (prime95 for 7hr20min)
    screenshots: busy/idle

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I played Crysis for an hour @ 570mhz 5-5-5-18, but gives error on when prime; 2.30v seems to be the sweetspot, any advice is appreciated, thx :)

Last edited: Mar 19, 2008
  2. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy Pickin' Da Gitfiddle

Looks pretty good here but hard to see. Anyway you could attach full sized images that way we can click on the thumbnail and see clearer. BTW don't see may Q6600's over 3.0 so 3.2 is cool as is the RAM O/C :thumb:

3. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Wow, nice overclock from a value RAM. I'm looking for cheap 2GB per stick doing 400MHz+...

4. ChampionLLY

ChampionLLY News Writer

oops, i think photobucket resized the pic, it was 1680x1050,
    i'l fix it

5. goldfries

goldfries www.goldfries.com

why is your FSB:RAM ratio 1:2?

anyway nice speed for the RAM

my DDR2 667 could touch DDR2 900 speed, which I'm damn happy about. also KVR.

6. ChampionLLY

ChampionLLY News Writer

coz i dun wanna get the cpu involved?
    notice that my q6600 is undervolted & underclocked..

its funny that the expensive hyperX 1GB could only do ddr2-938, yet the value ram 2GB could do ddr2-1100

7. goldfries

goldfries www.goldfries.com

no, the point of my question was - why OC the RAM but with a downclocked processor?

what do you intend to get out of the system?

btw yes, love your RAM. I've not bought any performance RAM myself.

8. ChampionLLY

ChampionLLY News Writer

one at a time...

I already know the max stable for cpu, nbcc & gfx

9. Mac Daddy

Thanks and nice O/C on that ram. I am really interested in what this OCZ Reaper ram will do because I have seen no real reviews on it besides comments from customers who purchased it. One comment he said he was running DDR2 1066 speeds and the higher the O/C the more the heatspreaders distribute the heat. I see no max frequency spec anywhere for this ram including the OCZ site so really interested to see how it performs :mrgreen:

10. ChampionLLY

ChampionLLY News Writer

exactly which pair of ram are u talking abt?

i dun believe in heatspreaders, surprisingly my value ram running @ 2.3v is pretty cool, i got the intel stock hsf to blow @ em anyway..

11. ChampionLLY

ChampionLLY News Writer

oh btw, I don't see any difference in framerate when i run my Q6600 @ 2ghz or 3.2ghz in Crysis or GoW..

at stock 2.4ghz,
    average cpu usage in Crysis is 32~38%;
    whereas in GoW, it is 44~48%

12. Mac Daddy

I have OCZ Performance RAM here thats works very well but this pair as I have read were designed for 32 bit OS's using 4G of RAM in 2 sockets as opposed to 4 because of cooling issues of the latter.

Here's my ram ...

OCZ Technology | Products | Memory | OCZ PC2-8000 ReaperX HPC 4GB Dual Channel

13. ChampionLLY

ChampionLLY News Writer

oh, the one with the bigass heatpipe ah..

i would rather haf 2 sticks instead of 4, its hard to cool em.. designed for 32-bit OS? i thought 32-bit XP couldnt recognize more than 3GB of ram?

14. Mac Daddy

True but Vista can with a patch ... what I meant is you cant use 4 sticks with this ram if your running Win64 or Vista Ultimate 64 you won't be running 8G.

15. ChampionLLY

ChampionLLY News Writer

ic... 2GB is more than enough for me right now, I have got 1GB of spare dunno what to do with it

saw the newly released G.skill 16GB kit?

16. Mac Daddy

Ya did on the 16G set its getting crazy isn't it :shock: