Time for a new monitor?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by jasperchc, Apr 3, 2008.

1. jasperchc

jasperchc Newbie

right, pikom fair is coming this weekend, so i am thinking i might wanna get a LCD monitor for my PC. My 17' SAMSUNG CRT is acting up constantly with blurring image, however so far it can be corrected by bangging either the side or the top of the monitor hard serveral times with my hand :snooty:

Plus the power socket at the back of the monitor seem to be loose as well as everytime i tried to plug it tighter , i can heard the sound of static and sparks when i adjust the wire head with my hand. So is it time i get a new monitor?:think: or should i spend around maybe RM100? or so to have it fixed?

And another thing is that my desktop PC is serveral years old, with AMD Athlon XP and ATI 9800pro. Currently on my 17' monitor, the max screen resolution is 1280 x 1024 pixels. Does the screen resolution depends on the monitor? graphic card? or the graphic driver use? or is it the combination of the three? cause i dont want to get a larger monitor and later discover that i can only reach 1280 x 1024 pixel max.

And any suggestion on which monitor to get from those LCD gurus? which brand or model? so that i know which LCD to check out later during the fair. And ya, i'll check out the LCD recommendation thread later as well.

2. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

You need an excuse to change to LCD, now now you have it. CHANGE! :mrgreen:

3. goldfries

goldfries www.goldfries.com

the maximum resolution shown on your monitor is dependent on your monitor.

the graphic card does the output. the driver helps you choose the resolution for the card to output.

so say if your monitor supports up to 1024x768 but you set the graphic card to output beyond it - you'll get a NO SIGNAL thing message on your monitor because them monitor can't handle the resolution that's being output by the card.

usually the output as follows......
    standard ratio 17" / 19" LCD would have a native resolution of 1280x1024
    wide 19" LCD would have a native resolution of 1440x900
    wide 20" - 22" would have a native resolution of 1680x1050

LCDs work differently from CRT.

a 19" CRT could output 1600x1200 and even down to 1024x768 and still look nice.

an LCD on the other hand runs optimally at native resolution. anything lower than that would result in pixellation, meaning all the things that are output will look blur / smudged.

1 person likes this.
  4. bslee

bslee Newbie

If you're interested in Samsung 22"..look out for the new 2253BW, 8000:1 contrast ratio, last price enquired was RM1068. Its been quietly launched but NOT readily available at the shops yet, maybe at selected Samsung dealers only. Current batch are China made. They're busy disposing the current hot selling Malaysia assembled 226BW and 2232BW at Rm990 at Low Yat. (last nite's price whilst there).
    One Samsung dealer told me its a good model.

Seem like your monitor have a problem of defective solder joints on the CRT mobo. If this is the fault, some re-soldering will fix the problem. That socket in most monitors are soldered onto the PCB and the solder points CAN weaken and break. Sup Sup Soi to fix that if one can open the CRT and re-solder. Blurry image may be due to a defective HT deflection transfomer. If this part is dying, it'll be beyond economical repair. Experience shows they last 3-5 years max. Most people replace their monitors by then. They're made to last just about that long as with other PC items. TV ones are longer lasting and don't often fail.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2008
  5. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy Pickin' Da Gitfiddle

I think you should change as well I scrapped my 17 inch CRT about a year and a 1/2 ago for a 19 inch LCD. In addition to a clearer picture and better resolution I also found the physical size much better.

6. belikethat

belikethat Just Started

yeah get at least a 22 inch.. or not 19 min
    and do check out for the dead pixel.. open up a notepad or something white and fullscreen it.. take ur time finding those black dots

7. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Don't forget to check with a black backgrounds as well for hot pixels. :D

8. bslee

bslee Newbie

Best to bring along a monitor test utility in your pendrive, ask the dealer to run through all the tests before acceptance. Those utils can be easily found.

9. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Yup! Good idea! :thumb:

10. Mac Daddy

Indeed !! :thumb:

11. jasperchc

jasperchc Newbie

monitor test utility, what name? and where can i find them? recomemdation?

12. Mac Daddy

13. jasperchc

jasperchc Newbie

that one only for CRT monitor? but i am looking for LCD monitor, can it be use on LCD?

14. Mac Daddy

15. Papercut

Papercut Newbie

'Dead Pixel Buddy' is a good one you could use :thumb:

16. jasperchc

jasperchc Newbie

Just came back from the PC fair, here are some of the spec and price i got, which one should i get?

Benq - T221W - RM780
    LCD Screen size: 22.0" wide
    Resolution: 1680 x 1050 (WSXGA+)
    Brightness: 300 cd/m2
    Contrast: 1000:1
    Respond time: 5ms
    Display Color: 16.7 mil
    Viewing Angle: 160/160
    Input Connector: D-sub/DVI-D
    Audio: Speaker

LG- W2242T - RM925
    LCD Screen size: 22"
    Resolution: 1680 x 1050 (SXGA)
    High Brightness: 300 cd/m2
    Ultra high Contrast ratio: 8000:1 (DFC)
    Respond time: 5ms (GTG)
    Viewing Angle: 170/170
    Input:15 pin D-sub/DVI
    Special Feature: Flatron f-engine, HDCP, 4:3 in wide (ARC), Tilt

SAMSUNG - 2232BW - RM1015
    Respond time: 2ms (GTG)
    Contrast : DC 3000:1 (1000:1)
    Resolution: 1680 x 1050
    Special Feature: Magic Bright 3, DVI(HDCP), High Simple, Tilt
    Free: 4 GB Samsung Pendrive

SAMSUNG - 226BW - RM1025
    Respond time: 2ms (GTG)
    Contrast : DC 3000:1 (1000:1)
    Resolution: 1680 x 1050
    Special Feature: Magic Bright 3, DVI(HDCP), Black High, Tilt, Swivel

SAMSUNG - 2253BW - RM1050
    Contrast : DC 8000:1

Viewsonic - VA2226 - RM865

Viewsonic - VA2255WM - RM1018

17. Mac Daddy

Tough choice the BenQ monitor almost seems a bit to cheap I always try and go midrange like the LG monitor but depends what you want to spend :think:

The ones with the free pen drive seem to be higher not sure if thats why or not.

18. jasperchc

jasperchc Newbie

the benq is actually listed as RM899 on the brochure, but the saleslady say the promo price is RM780 only, i post the same question on another forum and most people seem to recommend samsung :think: , but personally i think the benq is very good value, just not sure about the performance, color and quality :think:

19. Mac Daddy

Not really familiar with BenQ but checked prices in Canada and its about 100CAD cheaper than the LG monitor. It is a good value but I think that brochure was inaccurate I am not familiar with your currency but theres no way the list price on the BenQ is RM26 cheaper than the LG.

Did you try it out and see if your happy with it ? Your the one thats going to be using it and all tastes are different. Samsung does make nice stuff but depends what you want to spend.

20. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Look at the screen yourself to determine which is best for you. I would ignore the price first, then look at the price after you pick one. :mrgreen: