Looking for advice on HTPC...

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Motoman, Apr 13, 2008.

1. Motoman

Motoman Newbie

...when building an HTPC that you're going to want to do Tivo-like stuff with, what kind of TV tuner and/or Video card should I be looking for? Any advice on easiest cards/software that would work nicely with my DirecTV setup?

2. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

You should not need a powerful graphics card. Look for one that supports HD decoding (if you are looking to do that) or at least the output options you are looking for (HDMI?). To keep noise down, it should have a passive cooler or one with a quiet fan.

3. Motoman

Motoman Newbie

I'm thinking I probably will try some gaming on it, since it will be there...

...looks like an 8800GT might be my best bet, as it has HDMI capability and can be had for about $200.

What about the TV tuner card? Any thoughts? I'm not current on them...

4. Zenphic

Zenphic Newbie

If you didn't get a mobo yet, a motherboard equipped with a 780G chipset seems to be the best way to go for an HTPC while being energy efficient and easy on the wallet. Something like a Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H or an ASUS M3A78-EMH. It comes with an onboard video card that is good enough for HD video playback. Both are equipped with an HDMI port.

Tuner card, I have no idea. :(

Software, I think you go with Windows MCE 2005 OS. I'm not sure if Vista has anything similar

5. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

I think you need not an 8800GT for a HTPC - any graphics card like Radeon 2600Pro with HDMI or other special video input will be fine.

Even casings for HTPC are very unique - the Thermaltake Bach/Mozart will look comfortable on the living room. :)

6. werty316

werty316 Newbie

I second this with going with a HD2600 card for a HTPC.

7. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

Hmm, getting a new motherboard like Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H will work well though. You don't need to get a 8800 since it actually generate a lot of heat and not recommanded on HTPC systems. I agree with Zenphic too. And for your information, getting the Gigabyte motherboard and adding another 3400 or 2400 series gpu card actually enhance the performance of the gpu :p. Tv tuner?Hmm, will getting a USB tuner card will be more than enough for ya?

8. The_YongGrand

Newer boards have integrated HDMI and even audio outputs. At this way, there's no need for a seperate graphics card if can. :D

9. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Yup, that's true. Unless you also want to play some 3D games on your TV! :D

10. hjlavery

hjlavery Newbie

I have been using a LeadtekWinFast DTV1000 T and I havent had any problems with it...

11. The_YongGrand

If I'm not mistaken, many very simple, begineer's HTPCs can be done using a low-wattage Celeron 4xx processors or those little Semprons or single-core A64s. :)