utorrent

Discussion in 'Internet & Networking' started by curious, Apr 13, 2008.

1. curious

curious Newbie

I was talking with someone earlier today, and a topic called utorrent was mentioned on the fly. What is it?

2. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

it is a torrent client.

3. werty316

werty316 Newbie

4. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

It's not the best but 1 of the best to me.There are still some other better torrent client out there.Too bad BT in Malaysia has already been throttled :(

5. curious

curious Newbie

So what does that mean?

Like I mentioned, this done in passing and I'd never heard of it before. What is is used for?:?:

6. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

It's a P2P (peer to peer) tool used to trade files with each other without going through a third-party server.

7. belikethat

belikethat Just Started

and it's not so 'legal' btw :p (for certain files)

to make it simple.. it something u use to download stuff form the internet :D

8. curious

curious Newbie

Thanks alot. That definetly explains it.

9. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy Pickin' Da Gitfiddle

No but is offered now as an alternative to a direct server DL which is nice to see.

Three tips for utorrent and it is the best torrent client I have used:

1) Always force start
    2) Always set bandwidth allocation to "high"
    3) Update trackers as often as you can

:thumb:

10. Zenphic

Zenphic Newbie

Some trackers don't like it if you update too frequently :p

11. lee_what2004

lee_what2004 Just Started

what's the force start for?
    I remember I used it once and my file become corrupt.
    I never use it again since sounds "force"fully :wicked:

12. Mac Daddy

Force start ignores your settings and queue. So it overrides your other DL's and transfers in queue and also files you are seeding. It doesn't force a connection to the seeders ;)

13. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Hmm.. I didn't know that it would override the files you are seeding. :think:

If I'm not mistaken, utorrent has a built-in limiter. So that if you do not seed at a particular speed, your downloads are also limited.

14. Mac Daddy

Somewhat but if your really in a rush for something force start overrides the settings without changing settings for all the other DL's and seeded files. I find if you don't use it in utorrent sometimes the transfers never start :think:

15. Zenphic

Zenphic Newbie

You could always modify your settings to allow more simulataneous download/uploads to be running, so that the queuing system of uTorrent doesn't kick in. :)

16. Mac Daddy

Yes but that would effect all DL's .. Force start doesn't ;)

17. Zenphic

Zenphic Newbie

Yup. but I thought you were force starting all your torrents :think: :mrgreen:

18. CALLOFDUTY05

CALLOFDUTY05 Newbie

I use Bitlord to download torrents.For me, utorrent wasn't providing me full speeds for download.Bitlord always downloads in full available speed. ;)

19. Mac Daddy

LOL nah only the ones that don't seem to pick up trackers ... its still nice to see companies using them as an alternative though :)

20. lee_what2004

lee_what2004 Just Started

so basically force start is to start the download using the default setting and restricted by our setting?