making water cooling

Discussion in 'Overclocking, Cooling & Modding' started by generalRage1982hrv, Apr 13, 2008.

1. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

I wonder are you gonna mass-produce it once it's ready :p Maybe some of us here can get cheap wc kits xD

2. generalRage1982hrv

generalRage1982hrv ARP Reviewer

hahahhahahhahaha maybe

1 person likes this.
  3. generalRage1982hrv

new water block on its way

p.s. measurements on left and down side is a drills center measurements so you guys don't get confused

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 15, 2008
  4. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy Pickin' Da Gitfiddle

I saw that THX for including the info Bro :thumb:

5. generalRage1982hrv

bro here is a better look of it

Attached Files:

6. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Wow.. You actually designed it in 3D?? :think: :thumb:

7. generalRage1982hrv

hehehehhehehe that is not hard

8. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Very true about galvanic corrosion. Some stuff will help inhibit it but it will still happen (even with distilled water). Pentosin G11 roxxorz! :p

I'll take a peek at your design when I get home. *cough* at work right now *cough* :shifty:

Last edited: Apr 16, 2008
  9. generalRage1982hrv

hmmm that is strange
    corrosion need to start from acid based fluid like lemmon juice LOL
    it just cant be started by neutral fluid like antifreeze
    than if corrosion can start from anything all coolers like katana or water blocks used on 8800GT/GTS is having same problems

10. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Actually, as I understand it... galvanic corrosion can happen as long as there are free ions in the water.

Pure water does not have ions and will therefore not cause galvanic corrosion. However, there are always impurities in the water. So, even distilled water can cause galvanic corrosion.

11. Mac Daddy

Well antifreeze I know well if ya don't use it in Canada ya take the bus to work in the winter lol :mrgreen:

There are 2 ways to buy it pre-mixed and not pre-mixed. You have to mix it with water in your vehicle. So I would think it would be a purer substance and that the ions mentioned would be less in pure antifreeze ? :think:

12. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

there is always some free ions. Even in distilled water. (it just has a very low content of it - but it is still there).

Only anti-freeze that I've seen really helps with corrosion is Pentosin G11 (BMW's antifreeze).

Metals also corrode (oxide) with water.

Good old article.

PC Water Coolant Chemistry - Part II

13. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Hmm...looks very 2002 design to me. :mrgreen: Try copying something more recent.

14. Mac Daddy

Link us to the 2002 design so we can compare ;)

15. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Well to his credit, it is self designed. Not exactly something I would embark on myself (I would just dish out money and get an off the shelf one). I lack equipment and know-how. But I respect people who embark on it non-the less.

But it is fascinating non-the less.

Now rage, how hard would it be to add some turbulence on it? Increase surface area. Or make it wavy as it criss crosses? That could help no?

No, I don't pretend to know anything about fluid dynamics or anything. :mrgreen:

16. Chai

Most of the waterblock designs are already tried and tested, hence, most of the designs are copied one way or another. I used to have some own designed waterblock back in those days, and I still have it with me. :lol: Not as elegant as his design, but I have limited tools. :mrgreen:

17. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

Yup, you will definitely need more surface area inside the waterblock especially if you are using it to cool the newer processors.

18. Chai

Try something with center inlet, and spiral outwards, that's a simple design you can do.

19. generalRage1982hrv

thx guys
    well i am still using aluminum and i need to design it different than Cu
    copper is easy to design because its themp flow is higher and when u design it u can use larger lines and smaller walls but with aluminum you need to design it different larger walls larg lines and rest of that stuff
    so aluminum can transfer heat to water faster

cant do it that machine have died few days ago
    it will be fixed in few months

20. generalRage1982hrv

MADE BY RAGE hahhahahahhaha

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    MADE BY RAGE hahhahahahhaha