I want suggestions for a router...

Discussion in 'Internet & Networking' started by 1031982, Apr 18, 2008.

1. 1031982

1031982 Just Started

Basically, I am tired of rebooting my router at least once a month. Real annoying, and sometimes it locks up when I am playing a game. That hurts... a lot. If I really have no way to get around it locking up, I will accept that sadly. Anyway, Here is what I think all the info that will be needed :
    1. I am in the USA, online stores are fine for me.
    2. I currently have a Linksys WRT54G revision5
    3. I don't need gigabit Ethernet.
    4. It needs 802.11G with WPA support.
    5. The signal needs to go through 2 floors and a wall...
    6. I need to have it support port forwarding.
    7. It needs to support XBox Live, if I have to manually configure it for access it's fine, but I need that open status. (It's in relation to NAT)
    8. I would like to spend no more then about $125 total, before shipping and taxes.

Forgot to mention I connect using a PPPoE connection.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2008
  2. jasperchc

jasperchc Newbie

well, i use a linksys route at work as well and i must say its a very bad router, i cant remember the model but its color is blue and black with 2 antena at the back. Anyway, the router constantly disconnect, sometimes up to 2-3 times a day. there are usually around 5-8 persons sharing the router and it disconnect more when more people use it :snooty: Also, DHCP is enable but at times 2 computers will get assigned the same IP address which cause IP conflic. :faint:

We did a firmware update about 2 weeks ago, now it seems to be more stable with the new firmware, maybe you should try to do the same and see if it solved your problem before you go to buy a new one :think:

3. ChampionLLY

ChampionLLY News Writer

my linksys WRT54G v7 works fine, get a earlier version if possible..

4. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

Well, i'll suggest try using custom firmware :) DD-WRT. Works for all Linksys Router. Usually stock firmware always have some problem. Ooh yeah, btw i'm using the WRT54GL Rev 1.1 Wireless router :) (bought on wednesday XD)Wow, your lucky. Your Rev 5.0 WRT54G router supports DD-WRT firmware :D. Rev 7.0 does not support 3rd party router. Try flashing to dd-wrt micro version.Hope this helps your problem. If you need any help, feel free to ask me xD

Last edited: Apr 19, 2008
  5. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Yeah, I was thinking of that myself. :mrgreen:

I have a WRT54G myself and it usually locks up when I open up too many connections, or leave it running for too long.

6. JMMD

JMMD Newbie

I've been using Linksys routers for a few years when I setup wireless networks for home PC's. So far no issues with them, maybe I've just been lucky.

7. 1031982

1031982 Just Started

I'll look for the firmware and try that later on. I have connections going on all the time. I miss TV shows, so I use Torrents to get them. Then I let it seed until I have a good ratio. But missing multiple episodes during the week means it never really stops handling traffic.
    Thanks for the input so far. I will report back with updates.

Ok, I got it updated and all the fun stuff. I guess I will see how it goes. Again, thanks for the suggestion. Free is the best cost! After a while I will post back, like a week at least to have it settles in and have a proper test.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2008
  8. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

Btw, which firmware are you using? the official Linksys version or the DD-WRT :)

9. 1031982

1031982 Just Started

I was using the official Linksys. Now I am using the DD-WRT. I even found an older WRT54G V.2. One of the recommended routers. It had a corrupted firmware flash on it. I could ping it, but that's all. Swapped out the V5 for the V2 and everything seems better. It reacts to traffic better, and I know this because I have had pages load up more instantly.

10. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

if you don't mind, which build? DD-wrt 23 sp2?

11. 1031982

1031982 Just Started

Ya, I had to use the micro on it.

Another update as well since I am responding. After the firmware update, I could see my problem was in fact the lack of RAM in the router. I have a lot of connections opening and closing. and the router would keep them open to long, and eventually lock up. I found an older V2 that was bricked, and was able to get the dd-wrt 23SP2 firmware on it. Went to the XBox Live compatible version of the official firmware, and it's working with no problems. Before I went the the official firmware, I checked the Ram usage. I was getting about 25% full so I should be OK for a while like this.

Even though I like the interface, flexibility, and information with the DD-WRT firmware, it caused some minor issues with XBox Live without some major tuning. I would get an open NAT on the tests, but it acted like it was moderate. I have no issues with what I have now, but I never would have gotten the info or had been able to flash the V2 router without the help provided here. Thanks everyone.

12. Willieboy

Willieboy Newbie

Netgear DG834 or with wireless DG834G

I have one I got 3 years ago, never any problems with it, and it's very easy to setup.
    VERY highly recommended.