External Sound Card (Anyone use this?)

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by alyy8128, Apr 22, 2008.

1. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Preferably not, even if you can physically do that. :mrgreen:

2. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

What performance do you think a sound card can gain from PCIe? :lol:

3. Papercut

Papercut Newbie

Don't you know the unwritten rule about audio products...if you haven't heard of the brand before, that probably means it's good :haha:

That's another good option, but only for stereo sound and only if you have the equipment to make it worthwhile.

On that note, what speakers/headphones are you going to be using, alyy8128?

4. lee_what2004

lee_what2004 Just Started

any comment for this?
    [​IMG]

5. alyy8128

alyy8128 Newbie

ha... nothing much lah. I'm just using a set of Eacan A-600II (2.1). Sometimes Panasonic Stereo Headphone, or Cap Ayam's Headset with Mic.

I always have a soundcard in my computer (since 15 years ago, from the first SB 16bit -> SB Live! -> SB Live SE!). Just feeling un-comfortable without using a sound card.

6. Chai

SB16 is that old? :o Damn I'm old! My first card was a SB Pro compatible crap card, then AWE32 Value, SB Live, SB Live SE, EMU 0404 now...

7. alyy8128

alyy8128 Newbie

Wah~~ the EMU 0404 is so professional. What speakers you connect to?

Last time my friend use SB Live! ZS + Megawork to fight with his housemate with SB Live! ZS + Logitech Z5500. (Both of them using Laptop). So, his neighbors and other housemate are suffer lah.

8. Chai

I use purely for music playback only. I use NAD C3200BEE amp, with Wharfedale 9.1 bookshelf. But I use my Audio Technica ATH-AD900 headphones most of the time. :mrgreen:

9. alyy8128

alyy8128 Newbie

Wah~~~~so not scare about managtic? Normal Speakers and Amp got very high managtic force~

10. Chai

Most speakers are magnetic shielded now. At least mine doesn't have subwoofer, which is even stronger.

11. alyy8128

alyy8128 Newbie

But computer speaker is Proven to be well magnetic shield, but others might not have.

Anyway, we not using CRT anymore. Which is more affected by magnetic speakers.

12. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

But i'm still using crt :/...@chai does that mean if using a lousy soundcard with a very good amp and bookshelf speakers performs much better o_O?

13. Adrian Wong

If your speakers are not shielded... then your CRT display may show moire patterns.

14. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

errr, I mean still using crt :p..nothing to do with shield thingie :D..Just wondering if better amp+ bookshelf speaker is more than enough. Rather then have to spend few hundreds on soundcard?

15. Adrian Wong

You were not referring to what alyy8128 said?

"Anyway, we not using CRT anymore. Which is more affected by magnetic speakers."

Depends. Sound cards come with a dedicated DSP. That takes away the load from the CPU. Better sound cards also come with better filters and digital-to-analogue converters.

16. Chai

Not true. I've owned computer speakers that wasn't magnetic shielded, especially subwoofer, which is even more dangerous because it's usually closer to the casing.

Lacus: amp+speakers is not cheap. It costs me about RM2k. :lol:

17. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

I know. But then, lets say i got the same amp+Bookshelf speaker you own...Do i actually need a better soundcard for it?

18. Chai

I would say everything is important, source is just as important. A good set of speakers will show your weakness of sound card.

19. alyy8128

alyy8128 Newbie

Anyway, the onborad sound chip also consume the CPU power, which will affect the overall computer processing speed. Somemore, onboard have higher noise level (typical -85db compared to -100++db for soundcard). If you have a good speakers, you tend to notice the small small noise.

20. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

Ahh, the thing is..I can't decide on a better card yet :(..Was eyeing on the Asus Donar DX..then was thinking..why don't i go for D2X o_O