Please Post All New Or Uncovered BIOS Options Here!

Discussion in 'BIOS Optimization Guide (BOG)' started by Adrian Wong, Jan 14, 2003.

1. chucky2

chucky2 Newbie

BIOS Option: GFX Overclocking
    Options: Enabled, Disabled (default)
    Description: No description in Gigabyte manual.
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA69G-S3H
    Chipset: AMD (ATI) 690G

BIOS Option: ASPM GFX
    Options: Disabled (default), L0, L1, L0 & L1

BIOS Option: ASPM GPP
    Options: Disabled (default), L0, L1, L0 & L1

BIOS Option: GFX Power Limit, Watts
    Options: 0-255, 75 default

BIOS Option: GPP Power Limit, Watts
    Options: 0-255, 25 default

Would be very interested to know what the ASPM ones are about...thanks for your great guide!

Chuck

2. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Thanks for the heads-up, Chuck!

I should really get back to new research on BIOS options. :wall:

3. barepooh

barepooh Newbie

Repairing a bad flash

Dr Wong I received your book "The Bios Barrier" at Christmas and i am constantly referring to it for tips and information. When i read the section on Hot swapping i was mortified at the different stages of the process and the potential for what could go wrong at any time. When i had a bad flashing experience I made a floppy msdos disc and wrote an autoexebat file , placed a copy of the flashing program and the bios file on the disc and simply booted the motherboard with the floppy inserted. No risk ,no need for a duplicate bios chip and no potential to damage the motherboard. Brilliant book by the way and thank you.

John Beeston

4. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

There are many ways of reflashing the BIOS. Some older BIOSes do not support that method.

5. Adrian Wong

Yup, there are many ways of doing it. Personally, I would resort to the hot flashing method as the last resort. If there's an easier method, I would definitely use it. But frankly, the floppy method doesn't always work.

Hot flashing is not that difficult but it requires you to source a working motherboard of the same model. That alone is a hassle that will ensure that most people will not be able to attempt it. But it's certainly a useful technique for techies who know what they are doing.

6. matic

matic Newbie

Ram option "Burst20pt"

hello

I'm using an ASUS A8R32-MVP Deluxe MB,

I have an option in my bios under "Memory_configuration/MCT_extra_timing_mode" called "Burst20pt".

I can enable or disable this option.

What is it?

mvg,
    Matic

7. Adrian Wong

Sorry, no idea what it means at this time. I really need to start updating the guide. :wall: :wall:

8. matic

matic Newbie

burst20pt

OK np,

This is a link to my MB manual, you can see the burst20pt setting on the bottom of page 88. Maybe this helps?

dlsvr01.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/socket939/A8R32-MVP%20DELUXE/e2709_a8r32-mvp-dlx.pdf
    Nice BIOS Guide btw :)

mvg,
    Matic

9. Adrian Wong

Yeah, I've seen it. It's not something I can just tell you right away. It takes time and effort to dig up the details.

Will have to start researching again. Just been so busy with other aspects of the site. :wall: :wall:

10. twindragon6

twindragon6 Newbie

BIOS - MEMORY - MTRR MAPPING

BIOS OPTION: MTRR MAPPING
    OPTIONS: CONTINUOUS (DEFAULT), DISCRETE
    DESCRIPTION: NO DESCRIPTION IN ASUS MANUAL, BIOS DESCRIPTION IS VAGUE AT BEST. SOMETHING ABOUT MAPPING OF MEMORY AT 4GB.
    MOTHERBOARD: ASUS A8N32-SLI DELUXE
    CHIPSET: NVIDIA NFORCE4
    CPU: AMD, FX-57

11. Skip Da Shu

Skip Da Shu Official BOG Supporter!

Memory REMAPPING options

I wonder if / suspect this is like the "memory remap" option on my P5B-E... with it DISABLED WinXP sees about 3GB of the 4GB installed but my Ubuntu 64bit boot (Dual boot setup) also only sees about 3GB. With it enabled WinXP only sees 2GB but the 64b OS sees the full 4GB. Something to do with the address it maps to the memory above X. In my case X seems to be 2GB. With it disabled it maps the memory continuous from low address up. Maybe on your mobo X=4GB so you could leave it off (continuous) if you have 4GB or less or a 32bit OS. If you have over 4GB and a 64bit OS then you may want to enable it.

Guessing CONTINUOUS = my DISABLED and DISCRETE = my ENABLED

I suspect with 4GB or less you'll see no difference no matter the OS but should probably use CONTINUOUS in that case.

This is just guess work based on my figuring out the P5B-E memory remap option.

AW can confirm or declare this as 'all BS' when he gets time.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2009
  12. matic

matic Newbie

MTRR MAPPING

Hi,

I have 4GB installed running on the full 400Mhz on my ASUS A8R32-MVP Deluxe. But when I installed the memory I had 2.8GB, so I tried Memory hole remapping, I reboot, system hanged,...

Then I did some reading and I nodest, I need to set MTRR MAPPING to discrete, now I see the full 4GB's in Vista x64 and XP x64. But when you install 4x1GB the bios sets it to 333Mhz, you can change it manualy to 400Mhz if you have a rivision E4 of E6 CPU, I have a Athlon 64 x2 4600+ rev. E4.

You can find more info on 4GB memory on the buttom of this link: gathering.tweakers.net/forum/list_messages/562830//

regards
    Matic

13. Tamerlin

Tamerlin Official BOG Supporter!

New BIOS Options

Howdy, guys. :wave:

I have 4 pages of new BIOS Options, so I'm attaching them as PDF. I have a good idea what they all do, I'm just submitting them as suggestions to add to the BOG.

MB: ASUS M3N72-D
    BIOS: Phoenix-Award ACPI BIOS Rev 0404 08/22/2008
    Chipset: Nvidia nForce 750a

Attached Files:

14. Adrian Wong

Thanks, Tamerlin! :D

15. ljwalsh

ljwalsh Newbie

help!

I have Dell Inspiron 9400

I reinstalled xp pro went to Dell to get the latest drivers

came across the Intel Matrix storage mgr. got about 3/4

install get a message that computer does not meet

min.requirements will exit install .I get same message when I

tried the video driver. Intel support sent e-mail stating.For mgr

to install. Serial ATA Controller on your laptop must be set to

AHCI or RAID mode. I'm lost. Any help would be appreciated.

:wave:

16. Adrian Wong

Hi ljwalsh,

First of all, this is the WRONG place to post your question. This thread is only to report new or uncovered BIOS options. In the future, please start a new thread. :)

In any case, your solution is simple - you need to boot into your BIOS (usually using Delete or F2 button at startup) and set Serial ATA Controllre to AHCI or RAID. For more details, read this - Tech ARP - Serial ATA Controller

17. mooty

mooty Newbie

Hello, I'm trying to sort out some hardware probs and I came across these two BIOS options;

PPM Mode, Native or SMM (seems to be CPU related, because that's how it was organized in the BIOS menu)

USB Memory Type, Shadow or 640k

They probably have nothing to do with my troubles, but either way, I'd like to know what they are.. exactly.

Thanks in advance.

18. _rp_

_rp_ Newbie

BIOS Option : USB Emulation Type
    Options : Auto, Floppy, Forced FDD, Hard Disk, CDROM

with the AMI bios it's somewhere under 'advanced' -> USB -> and the individual USB device

What exactly does this do if I set it to CDROM?

I was hoping it would make a USB flash drive appear as a CDROM drive but that doesn't seem to work. I copied an ISO to the flash drive but nothing is happening.

And why doesn't AMI provide an explanation for all the features of their bios options???

19. Adrian Wong

An ISO is a "container" for the image of a CD. You cannot just copy it to a USB drive and expect it to work like a CD, even if you use USB Emulation Type. Heck, you can copy the ISO to a CD and it still won't work.

You have to use a CD writer to write that image to a CD, or use something like PowerISO or Virtual CloneDrive to "load" it like a virtual CD-ROM.

20. _rp_

_rp_ Newbie

Thanks, but I didn't 'copy' copy. When you burn to a CD you end up with the first byte on the ISO being the first byte on the CD. That's how I 'copied' it to the flash drive.

Anyway, if this isn't supposed to work like this what is this setting for??