External Sound Card (Anyone use this?)

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by alyy8128, Apr 22, 2008.

1. alyy8128

alyy8128 Newbie

I think it depend on your budget lah. Xonar DX2 is really the price of Xonar DX times 2.

2. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

It is only true if you are playing a lot of hardware accelerated 3D sound.

There's no point spending so much money unless you are really willing to spend. DX is more than sufficient IMO.

3. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

Well, sometimes it is possible to get bargain on certain soundcard..Thats why i can't decide.. :D Hmm, too bad...Asus Donar DX is not out here yet -_-"...

4. jasperchc

jasperchc Newbie

hmm... do most people who purchase a good external sound card use them on laptop? built in speaker are usually crap and good speaker are usually too bulky, are external sound card really any use? maybe for those pairing it with some good headphone? :think:

5. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

well, with vista, it doesnt really matter anymore does it? apart from better hard converter..

streams are handled by the revamped audio stack. you should be very happy with it.

6. Chai

We have been buying because of better hard converters. Enthusiasts have been using ASIO or kernal streaming to bypass kmixer for years, despite Windows XP's limitation, it has never been an issue for most people.

7. Papercut

Papercut Newbie

Persoally I feel that the speakers/headphones are still the most important and thus the most money should go towards that, and then followed by the amp and source. You would think that my cheapo Chaintech AV-710 would be the weak point in my system but it holds up really well and I honestly couldn't discern any improvement between it and a Zero DAC :p

8. Digerati

Digerati Newbie

Trust me, right now, and especially if you use Vista, the ASUS Xonar DX is the best buy! Also, you get EAX 5 without all the troubles of Alchemy as the software does it all. Yes, performance in games is lower than the X-Fi's but we're talking about a frame or two in difference. Unless you're playing your games on < 20 FPS, those frames are not going to make a difference. Modern processors can handle the extra work for sound.

9. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

And yes, I do use Vista =/..I think i'll decide once the DX card is released here :D . Maybe it's due to too many Creative products i own at the moment :D

10. Chai

That is because of most are not using decent speakers/headphones. :lol:

11. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

ok!Confirmed and decided. Even already messege a seller to ask if his supplier brings in this card XD

12. alyy8128

alyy8128 Newbie

Confirmed? You found place got selling Xonar DX?

13. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

I mean confirm getting this card.. Still waiting answers from the seller :D..Chill, i'll inform you also ok :p

14. alyy8128

alyy8128 Newbie

thanks man..

just found from another site, a person selling OEM Creative X-FI Extreme Music from factory with price RM300. (No box, got driver CD only) (New, he bought it out before it stop production). Is it worth the money?

15. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

Lol, I think I know which site u referring to. To me..Totally not worthy. No warranty, not fully functional in Vista~ + poor driver support. + Is even possible to get the high end X-FI Platinium soundcard (soundcard only!!!)for only MYR250 :p

16. alyy8128

alyy8128 Newbie

wo~~ You got better offer than mine. Any more stock left?

That seller also recommend me to use 3rd party dirver instead of ORIGINAL Creative driver. But anyway, i'm using WinXp. Shouldn't got any problem.

17. Digerati

Digerati Newbie

If you're using Vista, an Xfi card is guaranteed to drive you nuts. If you're still with XP, Xfi's are not that bad.

18. CALLOFDUTY05

CALLOFDUTY05 Newbie

I would rather buy an Auzentech X-Fi Prelude.It has all the goodness of the X-Fi minus the buggy drivers & is much stable & durable than Creative's own X-Fi.The Auzentech also supports DD Live & DTS.I've also heard from Auzentech that this card will also support the Dolby True HD & DTS True HD in future by driver upgrades.

19. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

But then the drivers Auzentech uses are actually Creative's XFI drivers. Any more stocks ar? I think still got but now the price is at MYR290 :p...Just the soundcard only excluding the panels and etc :D A 1.3k Soundcard going for only 290..CHeap eh ;P..BUt then i'm not into Creative soundcards due to drivers problem =/

20. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy Pickin' Da Gitfiddle

I may be wrong but I don't believe so only the X-Fi technology and better quality components ;)