Western Digital 1 TB Caviar GP Serial ATA Hard Drive Review

Discussion in 'Reviews & Articles' started by Dashken, May 10, 2008.

1. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Western Digital's line of Caviar GP is the only drive in Western Digital to offer an astounding 1 terabyte capacity in a single drive! The combination of extremely large storage capacity and low power consumption was irresistible so we just had to give it a try.

Was Western Digital able to deliver the same tremendous performance we saw in the smaller capacity 500 GB Caviar GP? Read on and find out!

Here's a quote from the review :-
    [​IMG]

Link : Western Digital 1 TB Caviar GP Serial ATA Hard Drive Review

2. mikegas

mikegas Newbie

WD GP drives emphasize power saving in mind as the main attribute. Also, because of this power saving, the side effect also a reduce of operation temperature and acoustic. I bet you barely notice it spinning or vibrating without touching. Lower operation temperature means also more reliable drive ;)

If only the review includes, acoustic and temperature measurement, this drive would stand out further :beer:

3. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy Pickin' Da Gitfiddle

Well considering the price point and focus on lower power consumption a decent drive overall nice review :thumb:

I have been considering picking up a couple of items for that here actually. It would be nice to include real numbers for temps of components not supported with sensors and also acoustic levels .

4. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

I'm not sure how much cooler and quieter is the GP version, but I'm happy with the SE16. :mrgreen: It's quiet and reasonably fast.

5. generalRage1982hrv

generalRage1982hrv ARP Reviewer

cool review
    i love wd disks they are undestructible

6. CALLOFDUTY05

CALLOFDUTY05 Newbie

Nice review. :) I'm happy with my 250GB Seagate though.1TB is pretty expensive for me now. ;)

7. metsamees

metsamees Newbie

Wow, that is plain amazing and for me it's affordable drive too :o
    Thanks for posting :arp: :thumb:

8. g0tanks

g0tanks Newbie

So how well would this do against a Spinpoint F1?

9. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Definitely something we had considered doing, even for the HDD Performance Comparison Guide. But we have to first figure out how to maintain a constant ambient temp for the comparison.

Same problem for acoustics. :think:

10. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy Pickin' Da Gitfiddle

Yes the drive is being accessed even at idle :think:

11. iModAMD

iModAMD Newbie

Nice HDD ... :) But still love more an Raid config :)

12. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Western Digital 1 TB Caviar GP Serial ATA Hard Drive Review Rev. 2.0

Western Digital's line of Caviar GP is the only drive in Western Digital to offer an astounding 1 terabyte capacity in a single drive! The combination of extremely large storage capacity and low power consumption was irresistible so we just had to give it a try.

Initially, it yielded poor results in WinBench 99 and compatibility problems prevented us from delivering the Platter Data Transfer Profile and the Data Transfer Rate results. So, we decided to redo the WinBench 99 tests with a small workaround. Man, did that make a world of difference! Read on and find out!

Here's a quote from the review :-
    [​IMG]

Link : Western Digital 1 TB Caviar GP Serial ATA Hard Drive Review Rev. 2.0