[Auto Talk] Honda Accord Or Toyota Camry?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Adrian Wong, May 14, 2008.

1. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Okay, first off, I'm not looking to buy a car. This is purely a discussion on the merits of the new Honda Accord versus the highly popular Toyota Camry. Sort of a continuation of the discussion some of us had at Starbuck recently. Hehe...

For those who have not seen it yet, the direct links to the cars are :

Honda Accord - Honda Malaysia - Accord - Introduction

Toyota Camry - Toyota Models | Camry - Main

From what I can tell, the Honda Accord is superior technologically with a 5-speed auto transmission and a newer engine. If I'm not mistaken, it also has better rear suspension although I'm not sure about the ride quality.

However, Toyota has savvier marketing and is selling the 2.0L model with both standard (E) and upgraded features (G). Honda, on the other hand, will only give you the upgraded features in their 2.4L model which is over RM 30K (USD 10K) more expensive. :mad:

Both cars look pretty similar and even have almost the same kerb weight.

Attached Files:

2. wiiz

wiiz Just Started

the new accord, of course. it is a newer car.:thumb:

3. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

LMAO! I was talking to Psykhotik. He told me he's interested in a V6 Honda. Then I said to him, either NSX or Accord. He replied saying, does he look like a Accord guy? :haha:

Both cars are not my cup of tea. :p

4. Adrian Wong

Just for discussion la... It's a family sedan. Of course, it's not your cup of tea. :mrgreen:

Oddly enough, they are both on really long waiting lists (3-6 months) while cheaper, sportier cars like the Honda Civic. :think:

Or should we also throw other cars into the discussion? Like the Honda Civic... Toyota Vios, Honda City, the new Honda Stream, the new Nissan Latio (that Ken bought!!!)?

5. Chai

I don't know, I don't even like them as a family sedan... :haha: If I can afford a family sedan, I will probably go for Continental cars, like VW Passat. Somehow, the lower end family sedan like Accord or Camry are not as refined. They are no where as luxurious, or sporty as the Europeans.

Then again, I can't afford them, so I just stick to smaller cars. :p

6. Adrian Wong

Wah.. European cars.. A totally different price class. :haha: :haha:

7. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy Pickin' Da Gitfiddle

We see tons of the Camry and Accord models at the shop for remote car starters and trust me come February they all look the same to me lol :haha:

Actually here the lower end family sedan the Corolla is the most popular vehicle we see even more so than North American cars here. Both Honda and Toyota make nice vehicles my brother and his wife have a new Honda Element. Before that a Civic they traded in with 350,000km on it.

That reminds me I have to get ready for work so I can go work on cars :mrgreen:

8. Chai

If I can afford Accord or Camry, I would save a bit more for the Europeans. My friend bought a very mint condition of a 2003 318i for RM130k. Quite expensive, but the built quality is much better than most Japs. :D

9. Trinity

Trinity Little Kiki Staff Member

Get a Ford Taurus.:p

http://www.fordvehicles.com/cars/Taurus/index.asp?SECTION=MODELS&searchid=426441|23362018|170432528

10. Chai

We can only get Ford Focus and Ranger here. :haha:

11. Falcone

Falcone Official Mascot Creator

I'm more of a small car person. I dream to have continental car, still have a liking to Golf GTI, 306, but then I would never bring myself to spend that kind of money on a car, so I be more realistic and eye on Latio or Swift or Yaris or Fit/Jazz, but then I realise I just need to decent car to get from point A to B so I start looking at MyV or Satria, at this point I think I better stop or I'll be looking at bicycle. :faint: :faint: :faint:

12. Adrian Wong

The Bimmer 3-series is a really small car la. I think the Camry and Accord is more like the 5-series.

Maintenance for BMWs is also a lot more expensive. Hmm.. Is the build quality that good? The 318i is assembled locally, right?

13. Adrian Wong

ROTFL!! You are really funny la. :haha: :haha:

14. wiiz

wiiz Just Started

'cheapest' european car available would be ford focus. or if size doesnt matter, ...Naza bestari (pug. 206):mrgreen:

15. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

toyota is slipping in terms or reliability.

Who Makes the Best Cars? - MSN Autos

i dont know about malaysia, but nissan over here is cheaper than toyota & honda :p plus is pretty good too.

personally, i prefer honda over toyota.

16. Adrian Wong

But I think the Naza Bestari (Peugeot 206) has very poor resale value. :think:

17. Adrian Wong

Unfortunately, Nissan still have not upgraded their Cefiro model here. Singapore already had the Taena but it's still not available here. :wall: :wall:

18. Chai

3-series is just an example. VW Passat is a good choice. 2 litre turbo, 200bhp, nice car.

19. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy Pickin' Da Gitfiddle

On quality yes and if you are buying any German make quality is exceptional but repairs are expensive. They are very difficult to work on mechanically and electrically trust me I know.

No offense to anyone on the forum but these vehicles in a lot of ways are bass akwards :shock:

Try running cables in a BMW back to front or explaining to a customer why without modification or replacement his rear speakers in his Audi won't work with his new Pioneer MP3 player ... because they have built in amplifiers :shifty:

20. wiiz

wiiz Just Started

..then don't sale it. keep it for ur kid:mrgreen: