[Auto Talk] Can regularly shifting to Neutral on an automatic gear damage it?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Adrian Wong, May 14, 2008.

1. jamotto

jamotto Newbie

If you keep your speed at a point just after the shift point for your automatic you will get the most fuel economy.

2. mikegas

mikegas Newbie

Can improve fuel consumption by tail gating :p because this reduce drag but not advisable.

My car don't have gears cos is CVT :p but I don't shift to N even at traffic light because my CVT box is expensive and might cos more wear and tear. Anyway, the box is design to disengaged even in D when idling for sometime.

The reason high-rev during down hill is that your car micro-processor detect going down hill so the auto gear would shift to lower gear so that engine braking can happen for safety reason, correct me if I have wrong understanding.

3. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

adrian, you need DSG :mrgreen:

4. rogue_tomato

rogue_tomato Newbie

This is so true... I hadn't realized it for a while until I did a test on the same patch of highway. Drove it a various speeds, and the 90km-95km/hr mark seemed to be the sweet spot in terms of fuel economy/speed. After 100km/hr, my fuel mileage dropped and only got worse as I went faster. :?

5. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

I can confirm this too. driving at 80-90 on the highway definitely saves a LOT of fuel.

6. peaz

Don't we all do. Especially the cars that come with it :thumb:

7. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy Pickin' Da Gitfiddle

So if ya someone is tailgating you look for a WD sticker on the windshield before resorting to road rage ... it might just be Mike trying save some petrol :haha: :haha:

True on drag and draft though !!

8. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

test drived a Golf GTI with DSG. super smooth, hardly feel the gear change :mrgreen: but fuel compsumtion will be a lil higher :p

DSG is way more efficient than standard auto

2.0T FSI (same as those used in Audi A4)

but the pricetag is the main killer :mrgreen:

9. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

VW Passat with 2.0T FSI is my favourite. 200bhp, perfect! :thumb:

10. strawroot

strawroot I Lurrrve Panda Biscuit!

we all should just cycle, no petrol, no gearbox, save the earth! :thumb:

11. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

EVO X MR (TC-SST)! :thumb:

12. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

That sounds counter-intuitive. What I mean is that I'm getting about the same FC at 140 km/h as I do at 110 km/h.

13. Adrian Wong

Hehe.. The Mythbusters did an episode on it. Tailgating a large trailer truck is really effective, but darn dangerous! :haha: :haha:

14. Adrian Wong

ROTFL!!! :haha: :haha:

But we will probably die from smog inhalation (from the other cars and bikes). :haha: :haha:

15. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

What I meant is, if you want to save fuel, go below 90km/h, not asking you to go faster to get similar fuel consumption.

16. Adrian Wong

Oh, okay... Well, I do know that. It's just that I'm quite surprised to be hitting that kind of FC even at higher speeds.

17. rogue_tomato

rogue_tomato Newbie

Heh, I always thought that "drafting" the semi's would help fuel economy, but you never know what they'll do on the road :p

18. peaz

yup it's very true that below 90, the FC bumps up a great notch. but of course, it's a much slower drive.

19. Adrian Wong

LOL!! Indeed. :haha:

Actually, many people here have died because they slammed into lorries/trailers (when they suddenly braked) or when the lorries/trailers slam into them (when their brakes fail). So it's always a good idea to keep away from these behemoths! :D

20. rogue_tomato

rogue_tomato Newbie

Yep, exactly why I give semi's their space on the road (even when they don't return the favour :( ). It's simple physics... if anything were to occur, the larger mass would most definitely have the advantage over my smaller vehicle :p