[Auto Talk] Honda Accord Or Toyota Camry?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Adrian Wong, May 14, 2008.

1. ToyotaFreak

ToyotaFreak Just Started

Honda Accord-> Go for the V6! Has Variable Cylinder Management technology (Save fuel.).

Toyota Camry-> Well, it's reliable and nice, but too common 9If you don't mind that.

Hyundai NF Sonata-> Since you have the EF Sonata, what about upgrading to the new one? You might be able to get a good deal for the current NF in Malaysia, as an updated model was launched last year and might be available in Malaysia soon (Just look at the 2008 Korean NF Sonata TV ad, and you'll see why I recommend it.).

Kia Magentis-> Another Korean alternative worth looking at.

Naza Bestari 206-> It's a Peugeot. or in other words, it's nice, but small (Similar in size to the Toyota Yaris/ Vios & Honda Jazz.)

Peugeot 407 (CKD version.)-> Not sure if it's launched yet, but I heard that CKD assembly will push down the price of the Peugeot 407 to more affordable levels (And the preliminary equipment list is pretty good, from what I saw.).

Honda Stream-> Get the JDM spec model from Naza (Or a similar Parallel Importer.), much better equipment list, greater variety (More models to choose from.) and it's available with a 1.8 or 2.0 engine and 2WD or 4WD.

Toyota Alphard, Honda Elysion/ Elysion Prestige & Nissan Elgrand-> They're the king of all JDM premium minivans. Nuff said.

Last edited: May 16, 2008
  2. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Kia Magentis-> The last Korean I will buy.
    Naza Bestari 206 -> Seriously underpowered.

3. jasperchc

jasperchc Newbie

i would go for Aptera ( if i can afford it :thumb: )

Attached Files:

4. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

But they are all still a totally different price class altogether. That's the thing. Even Volvos are REALLY expensive. :wall: :wall:

5. Adrian Wong

ROTFL!! That's a LONG way from now! :haha: :haha:

6. Chai

If I can't afford nice cars, stick to cheaper and more reliable Japanese. :D

Why fight with the rest of the people for cars which is as common as bread and butter?

7. wiiz

wiiz Just Started

my dream car, Tesla Roadster
    0-60mph 3.9s
    135mpg equivalent
    220miles per charge

[​IMG]

8. Adrian Wong

Hey TF!! :wave: :wave:

Hmm.. The V6 is only available as the 3.5L engine which costs a BOMB! The price premium can pay for 20 years of FREE fuel! :haha: :haha:

Yes, was thinking about the new NF Sonata. Looks damn good. Great set of features for a good price. Unfortunately, the resale value for Hyundai and all Korean makes are damn bad. No idea why. :wall: :wall:

The Kia Magentis is the same thing as the Hyundai NF Sonata. Same car, just a different body IIANM. :think:

LOL!! The Alphard and those jumbo minivans are monstrous la. :haha:

What about the Honda Civic? Or the yet-to-be-released-here Nissan Taena? :think:

9. Adrian Wong

Which cars are you referring to? :mrgreen:

10. Chai

Accord and Camry la. Long waiting list, what do you think? :haha:

11. Adrian Wong

Oh yeah la.. That's why they have such solid resale value. Cause they are so popular! :haha: :haha:

Can't have one without the other! :haha: :haha:

12. ToyotaFreak

ToyotaFreak Just Started

I never drove the new 2nd gen (current) model, but the one I sat inside at the motorshow isn't bad to be honest (Looks good and the quality is there.), and from the reviews that I've read, handling is pretty good. Plus it's reasonably priced (Considering the size.) in Malaysia, starting from RM110,000 (Plus 5 years/ 125,000KM warranty & 2 years/ 50,000 KM free servicing.)

The Accord is really nice though, it's spacious inside and it's the first Thai-built car with VCM (Basically, the car will run on 3 - 4 cylinders under normal driving conditions to save fuel, and use all 6 cylinders when needed, like overtaking or going uphill.), pretty nifty tech. But the Accord V6 is only worth it if you do a lot of long distance drives (And can bear with the road tax for a 3.5l car.).

The 2nd gen Kia Optima is no longer based on the same platform as the Sonata, instead, a unique global platform shared with the Kia Rondo is used.

The Nissan Teana 2.3 V6 was released in Malaysia last year, as a low volume import. Made in Japan. Price? RM230,000.

MALAYSIAN MOTOR TRADER NEWS - FIRST LOOKS - Nissan Teana 2.3

What about a used JDM V35 Skyline Sedan (2001 - 2006)?

Starts from RM130,000 for a 2002 250GT (2.5 V6).:)

Motor Trader - Search Engine

Last edited: May 18, 2008
  13. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

Eh how come i missed this thread :D

Personally, If I'm ever going to spend like RM180K for the stupid accord 2.4 or camry 2.4 I'd just save up and spend a little more and get the VW passat. a much MUCH better car.

Continental cars are seriously just so much better.

I think our problem here in Malaysia is the stupid tax structure that favours cars from certain regions. That's why any comparison is never going to be apple to apple.

14. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy Pickin' Da Gitfiddle

They are a nice car you thought of TDI ?

15. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

Diesel cars in malaysia is a love and hate situation. Diesels are cheaper than petrol. BUT the taxes on diesel cars are much higher.

16. Adrian Wong

17. Adrian Wong

Hmm.. Cannot compare CKD cars assembled in Thailand or Malaysia with cars imported directly from Europe la... If want to compare, then should compare against Japanese-imported models. Then the build quality would be comparably good, I think. :mrgreen:

But I don't know... Is the build quality of locally-assembled cars or even Thai-assembled cars that bad? How do you define poor or good build quality? I've examined both the Camry and the Accord and they all seem to have really good build quality. None of the squeaking and rough workmanship common in Proton cars.

18. Adrian Wong

I think they have a 50% discount for green diesel cars. But I think the lack of enthusiasm for diesel cars right now is probably due to the lack of sedan models... Probably because our diesel fuel isn't clean enough for the newer engines?

19. Chai

Nope, even the 'low end' 318 CKD is much better than imported Japanese.

20. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy Pickin' Da Gitfiddle

Ahh I see I wasn't aware of that.