Wolfdale overclocking thread!

Discussion in 'Overclocking, Cooling & Modding' started by Max_87, May 3, 2008.

1. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

I don't use OCCT, because OCCT don't stress the CPU as much as Prime95 small FFT test does.

My E6850 can run OCCT at 4GHz, but not Prime95 small FFT test where the system crashes almost instantly.

Last edited: May 9, 2008
  2. generalRage1982hrv

generalRage1982hrv ARP Reviewer

welll occt is good tool for testing of stability under runing a os
    one of the best i use it
    first occt strees core to max + system strees

3. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

OCCT is not good enough in my standard :mrgreen: It just doesn't stress the CPU enough (I'm sure Chai and PsYkHoTiK agrees with me), but yeah, everyone has their own definition of 'stable'. Some people are fine with their overclocks even if their system crashes occasionally during normal use.

For me, anything less than 8 hour prime95 small FFT or/and blend run is not stable enough.

4. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

I run at least overnight, minimum of 15 hours, but after that, I just can't stand it and leave it as it is. Small FFT first, then Large FFT for memory test. :thumb: I'm using Prime 95 25.6 64bit.

5. generalRage1982hrv

i hate this shit
    guys dose anyone have asus p5e or any x38 board ??
    why did bios locked lower ddr speed ???
    i have geted E8200 and i have clocked it to fsb 400 without any volt setup but this shit have locked my ddr to its maximum speed

p.s.this cpu is kick ass low power drain, low watts i could not ask for more

Last edited: May 10, 2008
  6. Chai

You can't use RAM ratio lower than 1:1. It's the same for all Intel chipsets. Not sure about Nvidia.

7. iraklisvel

iraklisvel Newbie

Hi there.
    I was hoping to OC my e8400 at 3.6, but my orthos stress test fails at some point. I guess this is an indication that I should give more volts?
    I wanted to keep the processor in default voltages.
    What should I apply just to make it steady without overdoing it?
    400x9 is what I would try first.

8. Chai

It could be many factor, RAM, motherboard. It's very unlikely for E8400 not to even reach 3.6

9. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

We need more information :)

Tell us about the rest of your system specs and what settings are you using. Particularly your mainboard and ram.

10. iraklisvel

iraklisvel Newbie

I did not say that it cannot go over there (3.6) I am already at 3.46.
    MSI P35 Platinum motherboard and Kingston KVR667 1Gb RAM. (Yeah, I know, I'll change the RAM as soon as possible, but I wanted to find its limits. I have already booted with RAM 800Mhz by increasing volts at 2.0.)

Currently being at 3.46, the computer gives me 37 at idle and 52-53 in full load under the ORTHOS stress test.

What I am planning is a set and forget situation for 24/7.
    For example FSB 400x9 (3.6Ghz) fot the cpu and 400x2 (800Mhz) for the RAM.
    Would I give my cpu too much heat there? Probably it will be somewhere near 55oC on full load.
    What soyld be the voltages to stay there with no restarts or freezes? I would like to give the minimum voltage needed.
    Thanking in advance,guys...

11. Chai

Your RAM is obviously the limiting factor here. It's impossible to do more with that RAM. Even at 4.05GHz, my DDR2-800 RAM is limiting me from going above 450x9.

12. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

I say it's your ram. Try increase the vcore slightly, if it doesn't work, then it's most likely your ram. E8400 shouldn't have any problems running at 3.6GHz at stock voltage.

13. Chai

My E8400 could do 3.8GHz at stock voltage.

14. iraklisvel

iraklisvel Newbie

What about the temps?
    When the processor is on full load, is reaching 55-57 degrees celsius OK? I do not have a watercooling solution and I am anxious to know if such temps will have an effect on my processor.
    Short or even long term. (More than 3 years of use for example)

15. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy Pickin' Da Gitfiddle

Those temps are high I am not running watercooling the Hyper212 on my E6550 and my Katana2 on my Northwood Celeron 2.6 both never go over 50C under full load :think:

16. generalRage1982hrv

hmmm this thing is strange with e8xxx series
    i have noticed that same but how i see cpu is directing mbo bios to rise voltage when you oc it
    i have asus x38 mbo and when i push fsb higher i get higher voltage automaticly dont know why and how i have checked all on my mbo
    i have even returned EPU chip to normal (without pencil mod) and i get same
    when i push it over 420fsb i get voltage on 1.3v but my cpu works on 1.12v at 333fsb

17. Chai

Did you set the voltage to auto?

18. generalRage1982hrv

nop
    have updated bios and it is all ok now

19. Chai

Ah...I have to update my BIOS to make it work properly. uGuru wasn't working properly as well.

20. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

Different processor, different cooler, different monitoring software/sensor, you can't really compare that way because the accuracy can be very different. Then again, I wouldn't consider 50+ load high.