[Auto Talk] Honda Accord Or Toyota Camry?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Adrian Wong, May 14, 2008.

1. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Wah.. Sure or not??? How do you measure build quality?

I've seen my uncle's 325i and yes, the build quality is good but I would not say there's an incredible difference from that of any Japanese car. :think:

2. Adrian Wong

Over here, we pay a yearly road tax based on engine displacement. For example, 2.0L petrol cars are taxed about RM 400 (US$ 130) and 2.4L petrol cars are taxed about RM 800 (US$ 260) a year.

Diesel cars are taxed even more every year even with the 50% discount. This is based on the assumption that diesel vehicles are generally used commercially and therefore spend more time on the road.

That's why most cars here have rather small engine capacities, from as low as 600 cc to 2.4 L. Larger displacement engines are available but much rarer, because the road tax increases exponentially. :(

3. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Material used.

4. Adrian Wong

Hmm.. How to determine that? BTW, surely Jap cars also use good materials, right? The Accord, Camry and Civic do seem to be made of pretty solid stuff, not like tin-can Protons. :haha:

5. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy Pickin' Da Gitfiddle

Dang I had no idea the same might be happening here as well looking @ 1.30 a liter at the pumps and 1.35 for diesel :shifty:

6. Chai

Dashbord quality? I've just seen the Camry, I'm not impressed by the interior. The fake plastic wood panel. Center console, all plastic, looks pretty cheap. I would expect a lot better from a car like this.

I was inside a Euro-spec Civic Type R. That car feels more solid than the Camry IMO.

7. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

toyota is cutting cost :) personally idont really like toyota's interior.

8. Adrian Wong

Oh yeah, the interior of the Camry is ghastly TBH. I have no idea why they came up with such a cheap interior. I very much prefer my Sonata's interior. :hand:

Plus it only has one colour - beige. No matter what your exterior colour is, it's always beige inside.

9. Adrian Wong

OMG.. Just checked out the VW Passat. It's going for RM 230K (US$ 74K). :shock: :shock:

Definitely a head over the Accord/Camry class at least in price. It's just a tad cheaper than the BMW 320i SE. Which makes me wonder... wouldn't the Bimmer be a better car for the price?

Last edited: May 19, 2008
  10. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

You have to drive it to know it! German cars are not for looks. It's for driving :D That's what a car is meant for - driving. Not Bling-ing.

11. Trinity

Trinity Little Kiki Staff Member

74K!!!!!:shock: :faint:

Why so much??? Over here it's going from MSRP: $23,990 - $39,200. You could get a Corvett for that much$$$ here.:drool:

2008 Volkswagen Passat Model Overview - AOL Autos

12. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

Trin, the tax rate here in Malaysia is just insane for fully imported models. All in the name of protecting a certain car manufacturer...le sigh

13. Trinity

I think the USA should start doing this as well. American car manufacturers are going broke. And a lot of good jobs are going over sea's.:(

14. Adrian Wong

Yeah, I'm just saying it's a different class altogether. The price range isn't even close. It's a BIG difference you know - between RM 150K and RM 230K. :mrgreen:

15. Adrian Wong

I honestly hope not cause it just makes things worse. Look at our situation.

Ever since our government decided we should have a national carmaker, they jacked up the taxes on foreign cars real high to give it an unfair price advantage. However, while this enabled our carmaker, Proton, and associated suppliers to thrive, it has also made them super complacent.

Until recently, they were still selling models that are 10-20 years old in design! Because of the lack of competition, they just didn't care about further developing their designs or even ensuring quality or providing proper service.

So, IMHO, it's better to have competition. Right now, American automakers may be facing really tough times but I don't think it's because they are bad. They are probably badly managed or are not able to adapt to changes.

Japanese and Korean carmakers have factories in the US as well and they are doing really well. So, I wouldn't think labour cost is the real issue.

Either way, I think competition will encourage them to change for the better. You definitely do not want to be buying a "new" 1980 Dodge model today, do you? :wicked:

16. Trinity

Yeah, Your right.

But instead of taxing foreign cars , Maybe a tax cut for american made cars. And yeah, some of these cars ford and gm put out ARE junk...:nuts:

17. Adrian Wong

It may be painful at the beginning but I think in the long run, it will be good for American automakers and the American consumer. God knows you do not want to be stuck like us, paying hefty taxes for decent cars with air bags.

Yes, until very recently, our national cars do not even have air bags. Even now, you have to pay for the premium models to get something as basic as airbags. :wall: :wall:

18. Trinity

My old Ranger 92:oops: :oops: :oops: does not even have airbags.:(

I will drive it until it rusts in half!:haha: Just hit 90000 miles a few weeks ago.:clap:

19. Chai

VW Passat, different class. I rather save the money not buying Camry and wait a few years and get VW Passat. :mrgreen:

20. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

VW Passat is just like a slightly lower end Audi :mrgreen: but it should have the same qualities as an audi.