Can't decide on new hdd drive!!!

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Lacus, May 20, 2008.

1. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

I wonder you guys here can help me a bit as i'm having trouble choosing a new hdd drive (maybe 2 :mrgreen: ) I current thinking of getting the either the Seagate 7200.11 or the WD (can't recall which model) and maybe Samsung. Anyone here has experince on Samsung hdd? are they like quieter compare to the rest? The Seagate and WD hdd are almost at the same price while the samsung cost a little more. I really hope someone out there can help as my current hdd is dying :wall: :wall:

2. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

WD5000AAKS, my favourite drive now. :thumb:

3. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

Damn..But i'm so used to Seagate HDD.. + both are almost at the same price but only the Cache differs....

4. Chai

I was a Seagate user. Had bad experience with Seagate. 2 Seagate HDD died on me. :(

5. rogue_tomato

rogue_tomato Newbie

I've been using Seagate HDD's for years now and haven't had an issue with them. I still have a functioning 6.4 GB HDD somewhere :p In other words, Seagate FTW :) :)

6. g0tanks

g0tanks Newbie

I like the Samsung Spinpoint F1.

7. Digerati

Digerati Newbie

+1, just get this and forget about your troubles. Good performance, low noise, good stuff.

8. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

But then the difference of these 2 drives are like myr 10 only.. and also seagate has longer warranty ang bigger cache compare to WD.. samsung F1 series drive are kinda overprice here 4 some reason..

9. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy Pickin' Da Gitfiddle

Tough call man as I said before looking for something myself :think:

Never had a Seagate or WD issue here I can think of ...

10. Chai

Why do you care about the cache? :haha: Is it faster?

11. mikegas

mikegas Newbie

If you want quieter drive .. there is only WD Green Power drive .. go check out the review...

12. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

32MB cache is nicer than 16MB cache but the performance advantage is quite minimal. It would rate it as something nice to have but not critical.

I haven't tested the latest Seagate drives (will go remind Seagate about them!) so I cannot tell you how they perform. But right now, Western Digital GP drives look like real winners - quiet, cool and fast.

13. Chai

Can we buy WD GP here?

14. Adrian Wong

Eh, of course. I bought the 500GB Western Digital GP drive for Ken, remember?

15. genese

genese Newbie

I heard that WD GP model will cut down the power of comsumption,am I right?:confused:

16. Adrian Wong

17. Chai

WD GP? Never see it in Lowyat.

18. mikegas

mikegas Newbie

Eh .. should have. I just went to lowyat.net to check. Shop like All IT, compuzone and more got carry at least 1TB WD drive. WD currently only have 1TB Green Power version in the market.

19. Adrian Wong

I bought it in Low Yat Plaza. They probably won't list it as Caviar GP but you can check the label.

20. Chai

I see. But I'm more than happy with the SE16. :mrgreen: