AGP 8x 128MB 128Bit graphics card into a AGP 4x board?

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards & Displays' started by martypastor, Jun 4, 2008.

1. martypastor

martypastor Newbie

Well I dont know about this because my card (Winfast A180BT/NVIDIA GeForce MX 4000) is having memory problems.
    From 128MB to 64MB! this just started on a BSOD error and flickering and garbling screen. It has been tested to other computers but no luck. Still 64MB 128Bit.
    -Is this the reason why my card is 64MB not 128MB because i put it into a AGP 4x Board?
    Thanks

2. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

From the source i check from the internet,most people actually mention that will mean your current GPU card is dying..Are you actually using the lastest gpu driver for your GPU?

3. Rraven

Rraven Newbie

Like I said in the other thread 8X AGP uses 0.8v signaling and 4X AGP uses 1.5v. While the 0.7v difference may not seem like a lot it actually is quite a bit.

8X cards may work in 4X slots but if not initially damaged from the overvoltage they would prob degrade much faster than would be normal.

So basically yes most likely your card is going out because of this.

4. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

8x and 4x should be backward compatible.

5. belikethat

belikethat Just Started

6. DarKSeeD

DarKSeeD BOG Translator

Depends on the voltage.
    Most of them should work just fine but I found 2 cards so far, 1 Asus and 1 Chaintech, not working properly because of the voltage. In Windows worked fine but when a game or 3D app was started the system crashed with BSOD and so on.

7. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Are you sure that's voltage related?

8. DarKSeeD

DarKSeeD BOG Translator

Yup, on an MSI (845 E-Max) board I had the problems but on a ASUS board no. And on the MSI site it was stated it will accept 1.5V only cards. Both mobos were socket 478.

9. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

wow, first time i heard it depends on voltage >.<

10. DarKSeeD

DarKSeeD BOG Translator

Well, that was my case, 4-5 years ago!
    From MSI site (archives)

IntelĀ® 845E (593 FC-BGA) Chipset
    - Support 400/533 MHz IntelĀ®NetBurst micro-architecture bus
    - Support AGP 4x slot (1.5V only)
    - Support 100/133MHz FSB

The videocard at that time was a FX5500 or 5700 from Asus.
    The system was: MSI 845 E-Max, Intel [email protected], 1GB (2x512) DDR Kingmax.

11. martypastor

martypastor Newbie

What...OVERVOLTAGE!
    So signaling voltage problems on my card.
    I think from what you've said that 0.7v difference can wreck my card. Right?

Yes I use updated GPU Drivers from Leadtek.

12. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

Hmm, i think it's time to change to a new pc ;)...

13. generalRage1982hrv

generalRage1982hrv ARP Reviewer

hmm it could be one of capacitors have died or it is just damaged on other way like scratch on it or even power line is burned for other ddr chips

14. martypastor

martypastor Newbie

-So replacing capacitors is an idea to fix this problem? right?
    ----------------------------Preview--------------------------
    -Well good thing but wait for a minute, I've used this card for the past 3 to 4 years (I think) using the P3 Processor and a P3 Board. From AMD Athlon, using an AMD Chipset or VIA,t the BIOS of the AMD is using Award Medallion and the version is somewhat between 1998-1999 then the HP Brio computer (Actually i use the Motherboard of the Brio) a P3 board which is made in 2004 but the BIOS is in 08/26/2000 also a VIA chipset PM133. Until to this computer Samsung MA10.

But i have a question.
    Can you look at the pictures at the attachment, i took it from my card (Winfast A180BT) and also please encircle the damages or faults or any eyesore on this picture of the card.

Attached Files:

15. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy Pickin' Da Gitfiddle

Considering the cost of AGP cards board level repairs in a lot of cases are not worth the time to troubleshoot and service.

16. belikethat

belikethat Just Started

agreed

17. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

Well, i'm not sure if it is possible to repair it by replacing the capacitors...Anyway like most of them did mention, agp gpu are almost obsolete and the price seems not worthy to get a new agp gpu :/

18. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

Yes, it is possible, if the only thing damaged are the capacitors. I did this on my friends old GF4MX440SE, it works happily after I replaced all the leaking capacitors.

19. martypastor

martypastor Newbie

But what is the problem with your friends Video card? is it like mine, overvoltage or etc?

I think i need to replace the capacitors of my card because the capacitors beside the GPU are looking bad, the cap looks like its going to release the contents inside.
    But what kind of capacitors that would work on my card?

Last edited: Jun 11, 2008
  20. martypastor

martypastor Newbie

I lied.
    Capacitors are fine but still searching for damages.